Kind of as a spin off of my last thread about a few 6 strings, could you guys help me out by sharing some experiences of a few 5 strings? Basiclly, I've decided 5s would be better for me that 6, but I digress...

The options I'm considering are:
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz V
Ibanez SR505
2 slightly different basses by a brand called "HK"

The HK's sound like good value (I'll give some specs in a minute), but I have no experience with them, where as I know the Ibanez is good. Also, I'm not sure how the Fender here compares to the only Fender Jazz V I could try - a Standard.

The HK specs are both similar - both have 2 active Kent Armstrong soap bar pickups, 3 band active EQ, a maple through neck w/rosewood stripes, a 24 fret ebony fretboard and Wilkinson hardware. The more expesive of the 2 has a mahogany body w/ masurpop top. The cheaper one has a plain finnished walnut body.

So, what are your thoughts? Much appreciated.
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Ibanez SZ4020 w/BKP Miracle Man set
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Tanglewood TSB58 HB w/BKP Nailbomb & Cold Sweat
Epiphone SG Prophecy w/Seymour Duncan/Ibz
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
When in doubt, Fender out. Best basses I've ever played.
BASSES

Yamaha RBX270L Custom Fretless
Traben Tribal Sun 5 L
Fender Custom Jazz Bass L

EFFECTS

BOSS DD-7
BOSS OC-3
BOSS RC-2
BOSS TU-2
Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

AMP

Yorkville XM200 Combo
I love the sr505 very much. Both the jazz and the ibanez are great options though. I would try them out, since both feel vastly different. The ibanez has a thinner neck, as a result of a tighter string spacing. It makes it harder to slap on. Both are good choices, so it comes down to feel.
Can you try out the HK's? Try before you buy, my friend.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
I'm afraid I can't try the HK's, I've only seen them on the net, but they look gorgious and seem to be pretty good spec. A review of a HK fretless on Harmony Central says they're good, but it's difficult to find much 'bout them.

As for the other two, I like both, althoughm like I said, I've not been able to try that specific Fender - the one I tried lacked the active electronics, but still felt great.

I'll put the prices on here, incase that helps:
Fender £539
Ibanez £468
HK (walnut body) £390
HK (mahogany body) £480
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
After some looking into it, I think the HK's are out. It would seem that the Fender and Ibanez are better basses. So, anymore thoughts on these two?

Also, to add to the confusion, how about the Ibanez BTB 775?
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
Last edited by lyonk55 at Dec 22, 2009,
I prefer Ibanez to Fender, as it feels more like my ESP [which I admit I bought without playing or reading reviews and have yet to regret]. I dislike the feel of the neck on Fenders, but that doesn't stop them from being good to play. It seems to me that Ibanez has a longer scale which I like.
I also think that Ibanez has a bit less of a classic look to it. I think Fenders look funny when you see them played in metal bands
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by 6stringbassist
I prefer Ibanez to Fender, as it feels more like my ESP [which I admit I bought without playing or reading reviews and have yet to regret]. I dislike the feel of the neck on Fenders, but that doesn't stop them from being good to play. It seems to me that Ibanez has a longer scale which I like.
I also think that Ibanez has a bit less of a classic look to it. I think Fenders look funny when you see them played in metal bands

To be honest, one of the reasons I like the Jazz is it looks different, since I have an Ibanez SR shaped 4 string the now (aside from liking the feel of it that is).

I honestly think I'm gonna go for that BTB I just found, since it has the different look, a through neck and a 35" scale (which should be better for a five string right?). Just one thing, how does the neck compare to the Fender or the SR - I like them, so if the BTB is anything like it it's mine!
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
I hate BTBs, they're definitely a try before you buy. I found the neck really flat I guess, and uncomfortable. They're certainly nothing wrong with them, just a bit on the heavy side. It feels drastically different from the other two.