Like for example, the intro of She-Wolf by Megadeth. I've been playing since March 07, self taught. Is it really all just a matter of taking it slowly and steadily increasing the speed, or are there key factors in my posture I need to take into account that creates this tension?
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
Last edited by TonyIommi2557 at Dec 22, 2009,
when i started playing palm muted stuff especially megadeth i got cramp a lot especially on down picking so i started weight lifting for a few weeks and built up some more muscle in my arms and havnt had many problems since. now im built like a brick shit house. jkin
Quote by priceyslayerman
when i started playing palm muted stuff especially megadeth i got cramp a lot especially on down picking so i started weight lifting for a few weeks and built up some more muscle in my arms and havnt had many problems since. now im built like a brick shit house. jkin

Excellent!
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
Quote by priceyslayerman
now im built like a brick shit house. jkin

is being built like a shit house a good thing? even if its made of brick? this saying always makes me wonder what the appeal is of being built like a shit house of bricks

but in all seriousness.....

nah, I cant be serious after that

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by priceyslayerman

No. Just no. If you're playing with decent technique then the muscles used for playing guitar don't get exercised by most standard workouts. the most effective way to get better at any aspect of playing guitar is to just do it. A lot.

TS:

If you're experiencing cramps and tension during this kind of playing at that speed then I would suggest that there's something fundamentally wrong with your technique. Get a metronome and slow down your playing to the point where you can do it perfectly then start gradually bumping up the BPM and really analyze your technique at every stage looking for things like tension, excess movement and other such bad habits. If you get back up to the target tempo and still can't seem to find anything wrong then it's probably just an issue of stamina... so play long into the night until you can't do it any more, take a rest and then do it again ^_^
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No. Just no. If you're playing with decent technique then the muscles used for playing guitar don't get exercised by most standard workouts. the most effective way to get better at any aspect of playing guitar is to just do it. A lot.

TS:

If you're experiencing cramps and tension during this kind of playing at that speed then I would suggest that there's something fundamentally wrong with your technique. Get a metronome and slow down your playing to the point where you can do it perfectly then start gradually bumping up the BPM and really analyze your technique at every stage looking for things like tension, excess movement and other such bad habits. If you get back up to the target tempo and still can't seem to find anything wrong then it's probably just an issue of stamina... so play long into the night until you can't do it any more, take a rest and then do it again ^_^

+infinite

you should always be relaxed when playing guitar, even at speed. If you needed bigger muscles to play guitar, then you have awful technique.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
It's an old topic, but I'm curious.

For people who can actually play the intro to She-Wolf with the "right technique", do you start off each gallop/note with a downpick? I can play it at a pretty decent speed, but I don't know if I'm doing it right or not. Could anybody post a picking pattern?

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObCZJXaZ2_o

Is he picking this "correctly"?
Quote by LukeElliff

Quote by pantallica95
Last edited by TonyIommi2557 at Feb 4, 2010,
Quote by TonyIommi2557
It's an old topic, but I'm curious.

For people who can actually play the intro to She-Wolf with the "right technique", do you start off each gallop/note with a downpick? I can play it at a pretty decent speed, but I don't know if I'm doing it right or not. Could anybody post a picking pattern?

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObCZJXaZ2_o

Is he picking this "correctly"?

He's playing it with the generally accepted "right" way of playing galloped riffs and that's definitely the way I'd play it at least although I certainly wouldn't say he's playing it well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by priceyslayerman

That or fap untill your arm is a bulldozer. Meh, it helps. You'll build endurance and stamina. *cough*