Recently I've been trying to get a good rock/classic rock sort of tone similar to that of Foo Fighters or Airbourne, but after many hours of trying countless settings and set-ups, I still can't achieve it.

I'm currently using a Jackson DK2 through a Marshall AVT50X. My pedals are a Boss CE-5, Boss DD-3, and a EHX Metal Muff.

I used to play predominantly Metal (hence the choice of distortion), though I've recently been listening to a lot more Rock sort of stuff. I've tried placing the Chorus and Delay in the FX Loop and trying the built-in overdrive channel, but it still sounds too heavy or muddy.

So, if anyone could point me in the right direction on achieving this sort of sound, I would be very appreciative.
save up for a new amp that can give you a good distortion for both metal and rock. then after that, i guess your next investment will be a less metal-orientated guitar
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Surely a Marshall is fine for Rock. I mean, didn't Zeppelin use Marshall amplification? Also, I don't really have the money to go out and buy a new Amp, so that's pretty much out of the question. Any other ideas?
Dood, buy a vox, i have a DA15, idk if they still even make it, but Vox has amazing tone, and I can get almost any tone I want form my amp without any effect pedals.
I've had my amp for a few years, and no problems.
Solid as a rock, and they get loud, really loud.
The issue is not Marshall per se, but WHICH Marshall. Zep used 50 and 100 watt tube, non-MV Marshall heads - probably various models at various times. Those sound very little like an AVT.

I think you might be able to get somewhere with the AVT, but it won't be that close.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Dec 22, 2009,
im aware that you dont have enough to buy an amp, but if you plan on saving something, you should really think about a tube amp. if you have no clue what im talking about, read this thread a little https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232 zeppelin did use marshall's, but the AVT's are low grade marshalls designed for others, and marshall is able to suck people into buying them, thinking they are high quality amps, because of how famous their high end amps are.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
As to trying with your current gear, here's my best guess.

Put the delay in the loop. Set it to about 300ms (stadium size), one repeat, fairly dry mix. Forget the other pedals. Set he amp pretty loud, and turn the gain pretty far down. Use mostly JB bridge pickup on the DK2. Set the amp EQ roughly straight up, or with a slight mid boost.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
I've managed to get a decent tone finally. I've got the Chorus and Delay in the FX Loop, and the Distortion going straight into the Input with my guitar. When I'm doing Rock/Classic Rock, I use the built-in overdrive with:

Gain - 3
Bass - 5
Mid - 8
Treble - 5
Reverb - 0

This gives me a sort of Good Times Bad Times tone.

When I'm doing heavier stuff which requires a bit more power, I use the EHX pedal with:

Volume - (level, not time of the clock) 4
Top Boost - 2.5-3
Treble - 6
Mid - 5-6
Bass - 8
Distortion - 3-4

So yeah, I'd just like to thank Even Bigger D for the Gain and Mid ideas. Cheers mate!

- Tom