Hey guys,

So I've been trying to play songs on my own, and many of them (with practice) becomes easier, but there is this one type of piece I have trouble playing.

So, I guess this is goodbye - I AM GHOST:
|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-|
|--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x-x-x-x-x-x-x|
|-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-14-14-14-14-14-141-4-14-|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------|

As you see I am not supposed to play the 3rd String. Whenever I try playing it, it sounds really retar....not so good. It doesn't have the "sound" as you hear on the songs, its more light, or muffled (hard to explain, its doesnt just sound right)

Probably I am holding the strings wrong, since it is my first time playing this type of piece.
Have you ever played power chords? Play those but mute the middle string.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
ahhhh. first off, these are called octaves. they are the same note, just one of them is an "octave" above. hence the name. to play these take your first finger, and put it on the lowest note. and your third finger on the high note. use your first finger to deaden the middle string by lightly barring it. Ok. hope tht helps.
cig
Quote by tsoldier24
Hey guys,

So I've been trying to play songs on my own, and many of them (with practice) becomes easier, but there is this one type of piece I have trouble playing.

So, I guess this is goodbye - I AM GHOST:
|-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-|
|--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x-x-x-x-x-x-x|
|-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-14-14-14-14-14-141-4-14-|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------|

As you see I am not supposed to play the 3rd String. Whenever I try playing it, it sounds really retar....not so good. It doesn't have the "sound" as you hear on the songs, its more light, or muffled (hard to explain, its doesnt just sound right)

Probably I am holding the strings wrong, since it is my first time playing this type of piece.

Well. you should already be muting every string besides the A string with your index finger (of course the mute is canceled on the G string because of higher fretting), so that would stop the D from ringing out, as well as the high E, B, and low E. If you have trouble angling your index to do that, you can use the tip of your ring/middle finger, depending on which you are using to fret the higher note. If completely necessary you could even bring on an extraneous finger and mute the string using that; if you fret the higher note with your ring finger it'd be your middle finger. But this shouldn't be necessary at all. Really, neither should muting with your higher fretting finger.
Use your first (pointer) finger to play the A frets. While playing those notes, use the back of that finger to mute the D string. And of course, use your Ring or Pinky finger to play the G notes. You shouldn't hear the mutes because the sound of the notes will be most prominent.

Good luck.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09