I was just changing my new strings on my SR506 and it was all fine and dandy. When I went to tune up after putting the strings on I noticed I couldn't get the low B without any rattling when it was in tune. I went to tune the E string and realised I couldn't - you can't even hear the note of the string due to rattling - I think the neck has bowed! >_<

And this seems to be the worse kind of bowing, as in the type where the middle of the neck is more forward than either end. Anyway, my question is - what can I do to fix this, firstly without taking it to a shop (not got a chance till after Christmas) and secondly with some normal tools at home? I'm assuming it's something to do with the truss rod needing adjustment, or the action (or both).

Thing is, I'm not sure how you get to the damn truss rod. Is the access underneath the plate at the top of the neck? (pics below) It's not at the bottom.

Any advice will be strongly appreciated.

Link to nice big pic of bass: http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/media/quality,85/brand,sameday/SR506BM-4356bace844b9bc130563b7f1ccb10a3.jpg

Oh, and I think the relief was quite low when I took the strings off in the first place - this may be why it's messed up now.
Last edited by Pew-Pew at Dec 22, 2009,
look for any tutorials on how to adjust the truss rod. Are the strings a heavier gauge than the original ones? That might cause the problems.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Hmm, they didn't seem to be a heavier gauge to be honest - is 130 for a B string heavy? They're normal Rotosound swing 66 strings. I couldn't tell you the gauge for the strings that were on it before - they were on it when I bought it.

EDIT: I get the general idea of adjusting the truss - make very small increments, loosen it to provide more relief and so on - it's just the problem of whether it's under that plate at the top or not.
Last edited by Pew-Pew at Dec 22, 2009,
Try to find out...google m8.
Can you maybe take a photo of your neck? possibly looking from the bridge to the headstock?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
take it to a shop. dont fool around with a truss rod unless you know what you're doing. and judging by the fact that you dont even know how to access your truss rod, id say that you're not quite aware of what your doing. thats a dangerous thing to be screwing with. take the time, be patient, and take it to a shop.

don't mean to sound like a dick either, just teaching from experience, messed up a rather nice piece that way once.,
Guitars:
Gibson Explorer - White
PRS SE Singlecut
Fender Acoustic

Amps:
Crate head w/ POD preamp
Crate 120 watt POS
Crate Cab
Yeah, I might have to take it there. However!

I just tuned it up by using the pitch at the 12th fret compared to my other bass on each string, and so on. Now you can hear each open note, however there is still a bit of buzzing, horribly so on the lower frets. I just looked down the neck and it seems to be very flat - no longer bowing outwards. I'm beginning to think it was just a bit like that in the first place, and that taking the strings off just emphasised it. I'm gonna have an experiment with the truss rod to add some more relief (sorry SalemREIGN ) as the problem doesn't seem to be as bad now. I'll be careful though. I didn't know where the actual access point was because my only other bass is a Fender with a nice big hole in the top anyway.

I think I'll leave it to settle a bit though first. See how it goes. Thanks people!
To avoid neck issues in the future I usually restring 1 string at a time, starting from my highest string, and working down, so that way my neck has a lower chance of bowing out funny.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
I was about to say make sure you tune up every string first before I saw your post. There wouldn't the same amount of tension on the neck as there was before if you don't tune up all the strings, so there would be a lot of buzzing.

Leave it to settle for about a day before you make ANY truss rod adjustments. If when it settles has the perfect amount of relief for you without any adjustment and you play around with the truss rod now, it'll be thrown way off. Believe me, I've ruined a neck because I wasn't patient and didn't know what I was doing.

I hope that made sense.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by 6stringbassist
To avoid neck issues in the future I usually restring 1 string at a time, starting from my highest string, and working down, so that way my neck has a lower chance of bowing out funny.

This.
This is what I do, probably just because I'm paranoid. I've taken all the strings off my 4-string Ibanez before (and it was fine), but theres NO WAY I'd do it with my 5-string, or anything other than a starter bass.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
Arf, I think I'd best do it that way next time then.

I am leaving it for a day or so, I'll just have to play on my Fender in the meantime.
*slaps self*
Right, tuned it up properly and it's fine, ahaha.

Though there is a slight problem - beforehand, the 6th fret on my C string buzzed sometimes. Now it seems to do it all the time - just that fret on that string, all the other frets are fine for some reason, and the same fret on other strings is fine too. Is it a case of action, more neck madness or just a fret that needs filing or something?
It's something with the fret.. I do not know what can be done for that however..
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
I doubt it'd be the neck if it's just one fret. Raise the action a little on the C string to see if it helps. If not, then it's probably that a fret needs filling. Has it always buzzed since you've had the bass?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Like I said, it sometimes seemed to do it on and off before I just changed the strings, so yeah I guess it has. I'll probably need to take it into a shop for this sort of repair, right?

By the way: thanks for all the advice and replies guys, I really appreciate it.

EDIT: I'll have a go at raising the action tomorrow/later on today (it's 12:30am here in the UK)
Just give it a little tweak, if it's just a slight fret issue it won't need any more. If it's still being a little shite it might need a very minor fret dressing, which would be a good excuse to get a full professional set-up anyway if you want one.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk