Hi,
I need some advice for choosing the right pickup for my guitar.

My guitar is a Tokai Custom Edition 1987

maple neck + fretboard, basswood body, single humbucker, floyd rose bridge

I want a good treble attack sound from the guitar something like Van Halen's classic tone or something that really bites and is sharp yet a full rich sound.

I tend to play alot of classic metal and stuff like dokken, iron maiden, van halen and stuff like anthrax, exodus, testament etc etc ...

so i need a pickup that has great attack and is high output, and it should be able to play real crunchy defined metal aswell as good sharp tones.

these are the pickups I had in mind, if any info through experiance on them can be shared that would be great:

- Dimarzio SuperDistortion
- Dimarzio D-activator / D-activator X
- Dimarzio X2N
- Seymour Duncan JB Sh-4
- Seymour Duncan Dimebucker sh-13

I really want to stay away from active pickups like the EMG 81 or the Blackouts.

Any help would be great.
i think evh used a lower output pickup, maybe even a vintage output pickup
otherwise, the dmz super-dist is THE classic heavy metal pickup
for Dokken, i'd go with the SeyDunc Screamin' Demon (which i have, and i like a lot), cuz that's george lynch's pickup
well what would you say against these two ...

Super-Distortion

vs

D-Activator X

in terms of output and attack.

Keeping in mind that it's a basswood body with a maple neck+fretboard?
IMHO, you'll get closer to Eddie's brown sound with the SH-4. In a basswood guitar, you're better of keeping the warmth of an Alnico-V - the ceramic magnets in the Super Distortion and DAX will be far too harsh-sounding.

This kind of stuff is more about getting a clean, strong output from the guitar, then boosting it to overdrive the preamp. If you go for the pickups with the highest output, you'll often sacrifice a lot of clarity.
Quote by -MintSauce-
IMHO, you'll get closer to Eddie's brown sound with the SH-4. In a basswood guitar, you're better of keeping the warmth of an Alnico-V - the ceramic magnets in the Super Distortion and DAX will be far too harsh-sounding.

This

Go with Alnico's or you might as well be playing an Ibanez. If you're in the UK maybe look at Iron Gear Hot Slag's? What amp are you playing through out of interest?