Hey guys, I recently bought a new Marshall Class 5. Lovely amp with gorgeous cleans and a real crunchy overdrive. But unfortunately i cant get those overdriven tones without putting the volume up and upsetting the neighbours. So I've decided to purchase an overdrive pedal to get good overdrive sounds at a lower volume and also to add some gain to the sound. I've narrowed my choices down to the following

Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet 2
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Maxon OD-9
Lovepedal Eternity
T-Rex Mudhoney

Which pedal would you recommend? I play mainly blues, classic rock and hard rock. I am leaning towards the Fulltone OCD but am wondering will it be able to play harder rock such as Guns N' Roses. I will also be using the pedal as a boost.

Thanks
You can't go wrong with the first 4 you listed. They are all great pedals. I can't speak for the last two because I've never tried them.
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Obviously the tube screamer is always going to be a classic choice. I'd look into a big muff, too.
I play guitar
the guitar shops near me always have the same pedals...they are all the same distortion pedal from berigezer or whatever

and apparently its around £70 in all the shops...
tube screamer is good for blues but maybe not for hardrock

look for hardwire sc-2 valve distortion
i scream for ice cream
I dig my Tubescreamer, best overdrive I have owned. I used to have the OCD and I think it might be more what your looking for.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
If you're looking for a transparent overdrive the Maxon OD-9 or a Keeley TS9... the OCD is great but not entirely transparent, same with the FD2. Although, I recently tried a Maxon VOP9 and I'm bowled over.
Gear: Ibanez, MusicMan, Mesa Boogie, Fractal Audio, RJM Music
1 week after I bought this I sold my OCD and have never regretted it.

http://www.indy-guitarist.com/inc/sdetail/70
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I love my OCD.

EDIT: oh yes and it can get some heavier tones to it, I can get to the classic metallica sound with the gain cranked.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Last edited by I am wet at Dec 22, 2009,
you cant go wrong with ANY of those. i would go with either the T-REX of the lovepedal. love those pedals, but of course there expensive.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
What kind of music Other Than G&R are you plaing??
If you want a really versatile OD and have the budget, have a look at the Rothwell Heartbreaker, When I had my Class 5 it sounded amazing. You can check my mp3 clips of the Marshall Class 5 with my Heartbreaker in my profile.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by mmjohn
What kind of music Other Than G&R are you plaing??

I play mainly blues and rock such as Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Aerosmith, SRV, Eric Clapton, Hendrix, Muse, Nickelback and Thin Lizzy
Quote by PRobotman
I play mainly blues and rock such as Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Aerosmith, SRV, Eric Clapton, Hendrix, Muse, Nickelback and Thin Lizzy

Get that name outta that list. LOL.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I'm loving the MI Audio Blues Pro Righ now Killer TS copy!!
If you want, you can check out the rather longwinded OCD demo I posted in my profile for MatrixClaw.

My song selection was shitty since it was all crap I've never/rarely played, but if you can get around the craptastic playing you'll have a really good idea of what the OCD can do to a clean signal.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
T-rex mudhoney is very versatile, goes from a cleanish boost to full on fuzzy overdrive, amazing for blues, and sounded way better to me then any TS. OCD is a more british sounding pedal, and i didn't like it as much
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
T-rex mudhoney is very versatile, goes from a cleanish boost to full on fuzzy overdrive, amazing for blues, and sounded way better to me then any TS. OCD is a more british sounding pedal, and i didn't like it as much

Quote by PRobotman

British amps.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.