Page 1 of 3
Who, in your guys' opinion, is the most successful guitarist while at the same time may not be the most technically skilled?

Kurt Cobain wasn't amazing, but he was amazing. Right?

Let's see who you can come up with!
The Jonas Brothers are just full of fail yet are amazingly popular and rich. I will never understand it...
Jack white?

EDIT: billy corgan isn't a technical advanced player either, but his riffs are mind blowing
Last edited by ComradSputnik at Dec 22, 2009,
Noel Gallagher from Oasis, can you say major pentatonic scale Noel?
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
Quote by kbrewster
Who, in your guys' opinion, is the most successful guitarist while at the same time may not be the most technically skilled?

Kurt Cobain wasn't amazing, but he was amazing. Right?

Let's see who you can come up with!

ohh my friend, Kurt Donald Cobain was way more than a guitarist but yeah i get your point.
~my contibution: kirk hammet (without his omnipresent wah sure)
The Edge... but I love the guy. He is an artist, but not a virtuoso. Creativity =/= skill.

Brad Delson of Linkin Park. Again, creative and great tones--but no virtuoso.

Cobain was definitely the best example.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by MalGanisWL
angus young ? not that skilled

no way man angus is RAW! thats how heavy rock is supposed to be played. how bout billy joe armstrong. the guys got tens of millions of dollars and all he does is play power chords in four chord two minute songs.
The Edge? Really? I think he's probably got some serious talent hiding behind his effects.

Billy Joe Armstrong. The only man allowed to pretend he's playing fifth chords on stage.
Quote by ComradSputnik
Jack white?

Jack White is an incredibly skilled guitarist. Have you listened to his solos?

A guitar piece doesn't need to have lots of notes in it to be difficult to play convincingly.
for some reason Tom Morello comes to mind using loads of effects,his killswitch and the infamous Digi Tec whammy pedal..He's one of the most creative guitarist in that aspect not sure about the technical side..I really find it odd the Micheal Angelo Batio was his teacher
Quote by bokma
Almost everyone that is in the mainstream from Slash to Jonas brothers

in my humble opinion

You must have ridiculously high standards if you are putting Slash and J.B. in the same category.
I thought of Tom DeLonge straight away and Zacky Vengeance.
Don't if the second one is any good with leads and whatnot, but he's landed a signature guitar
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by JT747
You must have ridiculously high standards if you are putting Slash and J.B. in the same category.

cause Slash is just such a good guitarist
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Slash is shit, as it kirk hammet, Jonas bros, angus young, the edge. TBH if all some1 can do in a solo is another pentatonic scale, its just boring. i mean fairplay to them for bein so famous, but id prefer to listen to something that takes longer than 5 minits to write!!!
Also as much as i like slayer, kerry king, aint a gr8 guitarist, he can just play fast!! lol
Quote by damo13
Slash is shit, as it kirk hammet, Jonas bros, angus young, the edge. TBH if all some1 can do in a solo is another pentatonic scale, its just boring. i mean fairplay to them for bein so famous, but id prefer to listen to something that takes longer than 5 minits to write!!!
Also as much as i like slayer, kerry king, aint a gr8 guitarist, he can just play fast!! lol

those are some big words ... , I wonder if you can play any better ?
Quote by damo13
Slash is shit, as it kirk hammet, Jonas bros, angus young, the edge.

Improvise a solo as complete and good as the Paradise City outro, and I'll believe you.
Quote by ComradSputnik
Jack white?

EDIT: billy corgan isn't a technical advanced player either, but his riffs are mind blowing

Really? Billy's an outstanding guitarist. From mindless shredding to four finger tapping, he's more than average.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by damo13

big words there... i mean jonas brothers are shit, and as much as i dislike slayer King is a good guitarist... slash, young and hammett are all amazing guitarist, id like to see someone make as good of solos as some of those guys can... i doubt anyone can make a solo with as much emotion in it as slash did in estranged
RAW POWER
Scotty Moore, definitely.
The post above was created by a computer.
But WormGod helped make it a bit.
Blame any typos on said computer.

Numéro Sept de l'Alliance de Wii
^^I'm confused. If we can dismiss things with "it's all a matter of opinion" then why exactly is this thread open for discussion??

Kurt Cobain, Tom Delonge, and Billie Joe Armstrong all come to mind.
Tom Morello, Slash, and Jack White are names that just shouldn't be mentioned. Sure, it's probably true(Jack White excluded), but there are far worse guitarists out there that are far more successful.
Quote by wesselbindt
Most succesful guitarists aren't amazingly skillful.

That's all a matter of opinion.

Inconsistent, wot?
Quote by metalheadblues
for some reason Tom Morello comes to mind using loads of effects,his killswitch and the infamous Digi Tec whammy pedal..He's one of the most creative guitarist in that aspect not sure about the technical side..I really find it odd the Micheal Angelo Batio was his teacher

He's more than that. His riffs, techniques & solos are above average. Check out the solo on "Know Your Enemy".

Quote by padgea7x
I thought of Tom DeLonge straight away and Zacky Vengeance.
Don't if the second one is any good with leads and whatnot, but he's landed a signature guitar

Zacky's rhythm work is clean, and he plays harmonies to some Synesters solos.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Finalconflict
^^I'm confused. If we can dismiss things with "it's all a matter of opinion" then why exactly is this thread open for discussion??

Kurt Cobain, Tom Delonge, and Billie Joe Armstrong all come to mind.
Tom Morello, Slash, and Jack White are names that just shouldn't be mentioned. Sure, it's probably true(Jack White excluded), but there are far worse guitarists out there that are far more successful.

All three of them sing at the same time though. In my opinion, they are very simplistic but still talented guitarists. And even though everyon hates me for this, I think Tom Delonge can sing.
Being a good songwriter is a skill and it is part of being a guitarist, Kurt Cobain is a good guitarist because he could never have done any of his songs without a guitar and that's why he is a skilled guitarist.

Tom Morello plays in a very unorthodox way and that makes him an innovator, his guitar playing isn't like anything that anybody has ever heard and even if you don't need to have THE chops to play it, he still is the composer, it's innovative and great. It is not difficult to play but it doesn't mean they are bad, most Beatles songs aren't difficult to play and they are still great.

Slash is a good player with a little bluesy touch in his playing, most people that say that he is a bad player say that because they see him as a heavy metal player and he is not, he is a bluesy rock player, his roots come from blues players like Eric Clapton, he has good bends and vibrato and that's something that metalheads will never appreciate, besides he does great solos and by great solos i don't mean how fast can he play in a solo, i mean how well fits the solo with the song and how much can he tell in one, because after all music is a language.

Angus Young is good at making straight rock and roll songs, his roots come from rock and roll too. For AC/DC rock started with Chuck Berry and ended with Elvis, thus it's ridiculous to say that AC/DC it's a heavy metal band, AC/DC it's hard rock and Angus Young is hard rock, his riffs are hard rock, his solos are hard rock. I've got to admit though, his solos don't include much variety, they all sound alike, so do the riffs, but that's AC/DC after all.

Calling Jimi Hendrix a not skilled guitarist it's like having no taste in music, he changed music and anyone from Stevie ray Vaughan to Kirk Hamett have been influenced in some way by him.
Quote by slipknot5678
All three of them sing at the same time though. In my opinion, they are very simplistic but still talented guitarists. And even though everyon hates me for this, I think Tom Delonge can sing.

I actually like Tom's voice... not so much with AVA, but with Boxcar and Blink...took me a while to like though, but I appreciate it because it's really pretty unique... although most will say shitty, I'll say unique. lol
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
To whoever mentioned Jimi Hendrix, what Nicozsd said is true.
Denying that Jimi Hendrix had skill as a guitarist is like denying that Slash has hair.

Quote by slipknot5678

Good point, Billie Joe's parts are still very simple.
And I like his voice too.
Quote by guitarsolo_17
The Edge? Really? I think he's probably got some serious talent hiding behind his effects.

Billy Joe Armstrong. The only man allowed to pretend he's playing fifth chords on stage.

The Edge is a good guitarist, but he prefers simple notes and a passive play.He says that too complicated riff's just disturb he song.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Varg Vikernes. For what he can do and how much success he's had, it's gotta be him.

If you went up to 100 people on the street, most of them wouldn't have a clue who Varg is. And furthermore, if they did know who he was, it would be for entirely different reasons.
Mick Mars of Motley Crue.
CC DeVille of Poison.
Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit.
Munky and Head from Korn.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Mick Mars has some skills. I don't care for Motley Crue that much, but he has an unique style of writing riffs.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Page 1 of 3