Page 2 of 3
Jonathan Montoya (Saliva)

I just dont see it, I have seen them live about 5 times because they come to my town like every 3 months, and he gets NO better. He is basically a rythm guitar player. OOOOH but Josey Scott calls him a GOD everytime I have seen them......I have lost respect for that band.....what little I had 5 years ago.
If skill was all that mattered we'd just be listening to shitty 15 minute metal/prog rock songs. Skill is nice but really, genuine creativity is overwhelmingly more important and I would hope everyone agrees on that. Maybe some artists just play 4/4 power chords ladden songs, but if they can make a hit with that why is that bad? To be honest this whole argument reminds me of men with big trucks or guns to compensate for something. I can't write a catchy riff like Kurt Cobain, so i'll play faster and faster and louder and louder, that will prove I am a man.

Anyways most of the arguments arent based on skill but overall taste for the music and or band.
I interpreted the question as guitarists that aren't the most technical player but have found success, not the worst guitarist with the most success.

I think Kurt Cobain is definetley one of the most fitting of this title. He wasn't really a technical player, and he showed that it was OK not to play really busy, complicated riffs, and that it was OK to make good, catchy songs using simple structures. That was a pretty bold thing to do when you think that when the first Nirvana record came out in 1989 the most popular bands at the time were bands like Guns N Roses. And then think of all the other people who started to play simple since Nirvana became huge. For this reason and the effect he had on music makes him one of my favourite guitarists.
Tony Iommi. Not technical but still one an insanely important guitarists. He lost parts of his fingers, which limited his technique.
Quote by KingMe
Jonathan Montoya (Saliva)

I just dont see it, I have seen them live about 5 times because they come to my town like every 3 months, and he gets NO better. He is basically a rythm guitar player. OOOOH but Josey Scott calls him a GOD everytime I have seen them......I have lost respect for that band.....what little I had 5 years ago.

I've never listened to them but rhythm guitaring is amazing. How does being a rhythm player make you worse?
Me

Nah, but I think Herman Li is probably up there... I'm not one to jump on the "DRAGONFORCE SUCKS!" bandwaggon, because they don't even claim to be good, but I think he is a successful yet shitty guitarist... Although to be honest he's probably better than me...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Skynyrd890
Me

Nah, but I think Herman Li is probably up there... I'm not one to jump on the "DRAGONFORCE SUCKS!" bandwaggon, because they don't even claim to be good, but I think he is a successful yet shitty guitarist... Although to be honest he's probably better than me...

Herman Li is a good guitarist. He just gets a lot of hate from bandwagoners. I'm not a Dragonforce fan (I don't even like them) but I'm not gonna to disregard a great guitar player just because he's in a band I don't like.
Brad Delson in my opinion, isn't that great.. linkin parks guitar parts are easy and simple as shit >_>
I've got no idea, what people play on stage isn't the same as what they play off it.
Billie Joe Armstrong

Even if it doesn't require a lot of skill to play Green Day songs though, they still sound good, so I'm not saying they suck or anything.
cat
Quote by PedroLesPaulVM
Noel Gallagher from Oasis, can you say major pentatonic scale Noel?
I agree he didn't really do anything hugely technically brilliant guitar-wise, but he was ckilled elsewhere.
He wrote some great songs and wasn't a sloppy player; there are far more deserving of 'least skilled'.

On topic: I don't really think I'm going to mention anyone. I mean, there are so many guitarists that are amazing in most peoples eyes but I can't stand and don't see why they're so successful too.

Edit: Thought I'd just add, a lot of guitarists are gonna be lumped into the category of "not brilliant but great songwriter". Kurt Cobain and Neil Young are two that jump instantly to mind.
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Jan 28, 2010,
Jack White.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
Angus Young. And that's coming from a die-hard AC/DC fan. I love the way he plays, and some of the songs are electrifying, but in terms of skill. Meh.
Most succesful guitarists aren't amazingly skillful.

That's if you count skill based on technical ability. Also if you call being successful being famous. To me anyone who can have a career playing guitar is successful, famous or not!

Personally I wanna hear someones expression through a solo- I dunno about you guys but when I'm listening to a track I love and really lost in it I'm not thinking about it's level of difficulty
Also some of these guitarits could probably have played something more complex but would it suit the song as wel as the simpler solo?

I find it funny listening to guitarists talking about who's great and who sucks coz "all they do is play pentatonic scales". If you can come up with a line/solo that expresses it all that only uses 3 notes

Sometimes it's as much about learning where not to play...

Billy Joe Armstrong isn't famous because of how good he is as a guitar player- his writing connects with enough people who get something out of it and he has an image that people buy into, that's why he's famous
i know only one success guitarist in this year that is Jeff Duncan. actually i am new in this field but i have more knowledge of glamorous.
***No Advertising***
billy joe armstrong? [in a bad way]
kurt kobain would probably be the obvious choice [in a good way]
Almost every punk band guitarist, if you ask me.

I love the genre, I listen to a lot of it, I even play in a hardcore punk band. Honestly, most songs aren't complicated at all.

After listening and writing a lot, it really isn't that hard to write a punk song. Once you find a good idea for a chord progression and a main riff, the song is easy to write.

There are small riffs, and sometimes solos, but they are never usually that complicated. Some solos can be fast (listen to Bad Brains,) but they are very short most of the time.

Playing it isn't that big of a challenge either. In hardcore punk, you just need to keep a rhythm well, and play with feeling. I don't know about other kinds.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by metalheadblues
for some reason Tom Morello comes to mind using loads of effects,his killswitch and the infamous Digi Tec whammy pedal..He's one of the most creative guitarist in that aspect not sure about the technical side..I really find it odd the Micheal Angelo Batio was his teacher

If you listen to his more recent work, he actually shreds.

In a style which screams ' MORELLO ' , but he shreds.

Quote by lambofgodowns
Slash
The Edge
Jimi Hendrix
Brad Delson (idk if he's really famous though)
Kerry King

that is all

Boy, yousa gon get sum hate fer that one. He might not be to everyone's liking but he had serious skill.

Quote by infantino
dragonforce, they cant play their guitars yet their quite popular. THEIR TERRIBLE

i dont know how people can listen to them :/

Probably becaus-

*looks at join date*

GTFO

And Errr, I'd have to say most pop-punk/punk rock/punk guitarists really.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Slicer666

Probably becaus-

*looks at join date*

GTFO

And Errr, I'd have to say most pop-punk/punk rock/punk guitarists really.

You're an idiot.
I'm an asshole.
Quote by lookpizza
You're an idiot.

For what?

I'm not saying it is bad music (hell, it's what got me into playing guitar and I still enjoy it all) but theory / skill wise, it's right at beginner level.
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Feb 18, 2010,
Quote by ComradSputnik
Jack white?

EDIT: billy corgan isn't a technical advanced player either, but his riffs are mind blowing

Actually, Corgan was pretty sick on Gish and Siamese Dream. He wrote every lead part. Check out Vieuphoria, a dvd on live performances during the Siamese Dream tour... He will blow your mind!
Calender

Quote by Xaldin714
why does Thin Lizzy sing in english if they are from ireland
Quote by Slicer666
For what?

I'm not saying it is bad music (hell, it's what got me into playing guitar and I still enjoy it all) but theory / skill wise, it's right at beginner level.

Well first off he is stereotyping entire genres (which I'm probably guessing you and he don't know as much about as you think you do).
Secondly name to me some really "successful" pop punk/punk bands. I can think of plenty of super successful pop rock bands with a so-called punk image but that's about it.
Thirdly for disregarding (sarcastically or not) someone's post based upon their join date.
I'm an asshole.
Quote by lookpizza
Well first off he is stereotyping entire genres (which I'm probably guessing you and he don't know as much about as you think you do).
Secondly name to me some really "successful" pop punk/punk bands. I can think of plenty of super successful pop rock bands with a so-called punk image but that's about it.
Thirdly for disregarding (sarcastically or not) someone's post based upon their join date.

I was disregarding it because it was mostly a troll post. Even though Herman Li's playing isn't to everyone's playing, he's technically and skilfully more advanced than most of UG's posters.

The join date is what, in combination with the post itself, revealed it as a troll post.

Pop punk succesfull? Blink 182, greenday (current, Dookie was on the border) and The Offspring (who've lately combined it with a more rock approach).

Succesfull Punk? Black Flag, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, some of Rancid's work.

And yes, there's some Hardcore punk in there.

Now tbh, neither of those bands contain guitarists which are advanced players, or at least write advanced stuff.

Well I'll also be honest and say that I haven't listened to anything mildly punk related for roughly 2 years now, so go ahead and post some 'challening' music which is punk.
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
What's the deal with everyone typing Green Day as "greenday"? Are y'all thick, or just lazy? I don't see people running around these forums talking about pinkfloyd or ledzeppelin or gunsnroses. Get with it!

Punk has had some pretty talented guitarists, but I'm not going to bother arguing that on a board where most people have minimal knowledge/skewed perceptions of punk.
If you don't teach those that don't know, they never will.

Besides, The most technically advanced punk I've heard so far is a Paul Gilbert song.

And that was lightyears ahead of even the most technically advanced punk I've heard before (forgot the name of the band)
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Slicer666

Pop punk succesfull? Blink 182, greenday (current, Dookie was on the border) and The Offspring (who've lately combined it with a more rock approach).

Those are all pop rock bands with a so called punk image.

Quote by Slicer666

Succesfull Punk? Black Flag, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, some of Rancid's work.

Hate to break it to you but being well known is not synonymous with success. While all these bands may have quite a big fan base (which is pretty much all based in the punk scene anyways) none of them are all that commercially successful.

Quote by Slicer666

Well I'll also be honest and say that I haven't listened to anything mildly punk related for roughly 2 years now, so go ahead and post some 'challening' music which is punk.

Why does something have to be challenging to play to show that it is skillful? There's plenty of "challenging" music that isn't anywhere close to being as skillfully written as say California Uber Alles.
I'm an asshole.
Tommy Thayer, KISS guitarist

I look up to Ace Frehley, even tho his playing is quite sloppy, but its something original,

Tommy Thayer is in one of the highest grossing tours of the year, and all he ever did was imitate ace's style and never created anything original, except for 1 or 2 songs on the new KISS album, which is all a Ace- styled form of playing
Why do people put Slash in with the Jonas Brothers? He actually sounds good, and he's clearly at least a bit creative, composing skills are at least as important as technical skills in my opinion.
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
Quote by kbrewster
Kurt Cobain wasn't amazing, but he was amazing.

Yeah, I like how minimalistic everything is, if you know what I mean.
Billy Joe and Tom Delonge aren't bad guitarists. The music they play is required to use simple power chord progressions, if it didn't, it would be a different kind of music. They don't play the music they play cause they suck, they play it because it's pop/punk.
Jimi Hendrix. yes he was revolutionary, but in retrospect, if you look past his mystique you will find an amazingly inconsistant guitar player. sure, he hass created some of the most noticable riffs in rock and roll, but who else has... lets think about this. Kobain and his teen spirit... that def comes to mind. and I know calling Jimi overrated is considered blasphamy in some circles, but it is true. I love Hendrix but i honestly know that there are FAR better then him out there.

George Harrison. I dont think this really needs too much explanation

Slash. Other then his few top hits, what really sticks out in your mind about his guitar work?

Tommy Iommi. he is a complete riff genius, but find me a 14 yearold who is taking lessons who can't play a sabbath song a month into leasons....

I'm expecting to be verbally destroyed for this.
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Why do people put Slash in with the Jonas Brothers? He actually sounds good, and he's clearly at least a bit creative, composing skills are at least as important as technical skills in my opinion.

I think creativity is more important. Just learning skills without creativity or feeling is almost as important as sitting on a couch playing Guitar Hero. I wish more people would understand that creativity also makes good guitarists.