I've just about had it with all this technical shit!! All I want to do is record a guitar track at a time and vocal demos to see how it all sounds in reasonable quality.

I'm going to get a Shure SM57 or a Rode M3. W/e. So I need an inexpensive mixer or interface.

My PC is crap. I don't want latency. I want simplicity- so I'll use Audacity for now.

Any suggestions? All this technical stuff is really pissing me off- I just want to f*cking record, not make a bloody bomb!

Get a decent microphone and NCH, that has everything you need and more. The programs i would reccomend are a recoring program and a mixing program, two seperate functions, two seperate programs. Simple. Links below for mixer, recorder and file converter (plus other audio software they make)

http://www.nch.com.au/software/audio.html

EDIT: mixpad not wavepad
Blinded by the exertions of man
I stumble through the haze of modern malfunctions

Dropping myself into darkness
Quote by Major Bob
Get a decent microphone and NCH, that has everything you need and more. The programs i would reccomend are a recoring program and a mixing program, two seperate functions, two seperate programs. Simple. Links below for mixer, recorder and file converter (plus other audio software they make)

http://www.nch.com.au/software/audio.html

EDIT: mixpad not wavepad

All very well, but I can't use my PC soundcard- it's crap!
Then you need a better soundcard and/or pc. If its crap, it ain't gonna work. Thats like saying I want to race my rust bucket ford tempo in a indy race, why do I come in last. Gotta have the right tools to do the job. What are you willing to spend to get to your goal?
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Buy an audio interface, you'll thank yourself when you realize that your mixes dont sound like crap due to the terrible sound of mic ports.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by GeToChKn
Then you need a better soundcard and/or pc. If its crap, it ain't gonna work. Thats like saying I want to race my rust bucket ford tempo in a indy race, why do I come in last. Gotta have the right tools to do the job. What are you willing to spend to get to your goal?

Well, I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and save up longer.

Quote by lockwolf
Buy an audio interface, you'll thank yourself when you realize that your mixes dont sound like crap due to the terrible sound of mic ports.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go for a firewire interface- the Edirol FA-66. That'll eliminate latency issues, and it works with Vista. I can get a programme somehow...
Quote by the1
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go for a firewire interface- the Edirol FA-66. That'll eliminate latency issues, and it works with Vista. I can get a programme somehow...

Hmm, I haven't heard of anyone use one of those. If/when you get it, let us know how it works here.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Hmm, I haven't heard of anyone use one of those. If/when you get it, let us know how it works here.

It's a Roland company. I've heard good things, but it's about twice my budget haha. Oh well gonna have to save up!