i was just wondering if anyone has broken a string on bass yet, ive broken guitar and mandolin strings but never a bass one

so if you have or have seen it happen say so and how you/they did it
Yeah, I did once, I was trying to string a B string and the windings pulled out near the tuning head, since the tuning head was a cut open type, and not a string through. Pissed me off so damn much. Spent $5 on that string and it wasent even my bass guitar.
I have broken strings a couple times.

Its annoying, but hasn't happened in a while
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Never, a cymbal has fallen on my g string, and left a nasty dent in it, (not my bass though, I would have killed my drummer) and I still continued to slap and pop that string for months later til finally getting new strings.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
my bassist did from my band.. i was impressed..

the inner core broke so it kinda just unravelled
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I broke a G string once. Can't remember exactly how though, but I think it'd been on there a lot longer than it should have.
Can't say I have... I even tried...
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
^ I was wondering how long it'd take till someone mentioned the "G string"...

Exactly how does a string on bass break? Does it snap just like a guitar string? I can't see an E string or something just snapping in half...
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
ye thats what im wondering, like if i pop the G string too hard will it snap?
i broke my e string ages ago, within a month or two of starting bass. it just un-rolled itself at the bridge.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
i broke my friends e string... it was really old.... the core snapped at the tuners and it went all floppy. never broken one of mine though and there a year old woop
I've been playing over a year, and have only used two sets of strings (including the ones it came with), and yet I've never broken one; I mean, I could strangle someone with one, put it back on the bass, and it wouldn't be any worse for wear.
Quote by Helbent Revenge
^ I was wondering how long it'd take till someone mentioned the "G string"...

Exactly how does a string on bass break? Does it snap just like a guitar string? I can't see an E string or something just snapping in half...

Wasn't a joke. But now reading what I wrote I realise how I worded it wasn't exactly great.
I've broken at least 5. One of each of the standard 4 and another E or G. Needless to say I used to play way too aggressively.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
The first time I ever changed strings, I accidentally tried to tune my E string an octave too high. It snapped around the (high) B and whipped me in the face I'm lucky to still have eyes.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Two g's and a d string. At the beginning of me slapping, I was very aggressive. Not quite anymore.
I guess I should add that I've been playing for years and I've never broken a string, I replace them when they begin to sound dead, I don't play very aggressively either, so that might be it.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Broken an E twice, luckily never live.

Play 5 strings mostly now so I have a safety net of sorts
I had a few strings unravel on me while playing, and I've snapped an E while playing. Came back and slapped across my knuckles. Needless to say I wasn't amused.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by KShift
Im scared to tune my bass now X__X

Don't be The only breakages I've ever had on both bass and guitar (lots more on guitar ) involve the core breaking, but the winding stays together. Basically the string just goes instantly slack.

I've heard people tell stories about strings whipping across their hands or faces but never witnessed it once.
Never.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I broke a *coughGcough* string in the dumbest of ways. I was pressing it down against the pickups because it made a cool noise, and it just unraveled, like Jateca said.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
I've broke 2 .110 E strings yet I never break my E string since I went down to .045-.100
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by scrambler_66
I broke a *coughGcough* string in the dumbest of ways. I was pressing it down against the pickups because it made a cool noise, and it just unraveled, like Jateca said.
I do that all the time; mine sounds like one of those plastic tops that come on Pringles cans.
haha
i was a dumbass once, and was trying to get this bell note out of my G string. it popped as i played the note.
left a big-ass cut in my right hand. i couldn't plam-mute for like two months it was so bad. lol
East Lansing High School
Class of 2013

Loading Haters
████████████████]
99% Complete
yeah, when I was first playing I tried tuning to drop D, and of course having no common sense about the matter, tuned up and just kept going, needless to say the string snapped
i seemed to have snapped my e string once or twice because i was becoming to excited with slapping and popping and i guess it just snapped from the tip but that's only because i didn't have thick hard coils around the headstock like I learned to do now. Back then I would cut the strings too short not leaving enough for the strings to coil but don't worry you won't pop your strings unless you try to tune up higher than standard and there is a possibility you can pop it on standard but it's really low I'd say..
correction, not my e-string i was just getting caught up with hyptoensizes post. i meant to say my g string and let me add that you don't want that string of all strings to pop.. it whips back at you and it might even hit your face if you play it the wrong way by laying it on your theigh instead of playing it on the side of your theigh as if you are playing standing up.fortunate for me it hit my hand, but since the 2x that happened to me, never again.
Never on my bass, but once on a students bass because I was talking and overwound the string while tuning it for him. It just basically unraveled from the core as others have described.
I've broken one string; on the first six-string bass I ever bought. It was used and had completely thrashed flatwounds on it, so I restrung it as soon as I got it home. It was a set of D'Addario strings, and as soon as I put the high "C" string on, it snapped at the ball end and was held together only by the string's outer wrap. I haven't used D'Addario bass strings ever since.
I've broken a D and G string before, both when popping, Flea style. Now I slap Marcus Miller style so I don't think I'll be snapping them again soon...