Hey guys. Could some experienced players give me some advice please?

I am sure you get this all the time, but i have been playing guitar for about 4 months and still have a 1-4 second pause between chords. Is this normal for how long I have been playing? Maybe it is to do with my fingers not being fully grown yet as a 15 year old?? Can you guys reccomend me any songs or pieces that can help me develop my chord changin to the point that it's smooth and fluent.

Thanks everyone!
It just takes time and practice. It's nothing to do with your fingers' development - kids start out a lot younger than 15, and still get the basic open chords down pat within a year.

Don't worry about how fast you are progressing compared to other people: focus on practising correctly and getting everything right in your own time.
learn knocking on heavens door. basic 3 chords G D C. master it and u'll be fine. it realy does take time though
yea i would say its pretty normal.

the more time and practice you put in, the easier things will become, and you'll pick up things faster
Right now, you don't need to worry so much about how fluently you're switching between chords. Worry more about getting them right. Once you've got them down, switching between them will come naturally with practice.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Ah, alright then thanks. I guess I just need to keep sticking at it every night and it will come in time?
This is definitely normal, in fact I think every single guitarists goes through this. I second knockin' on heaven's door. The song I think helped me the most was the acoustic version of hey joe because it has most of the basic chords, and a really easy song is coldplay's don't panic. The site justinguitar.com has a few free views of easy acoustic songs that you can learn quick and will help you greatly.
Quote by Darkoblivion319
This is definitely normal, in fact I think every single guitarists goes through this. I second knockin' on heaven's door. The song I think helped me the most was the acoustic version of hey joe because it has most of the basic chords, and a really easy song is coldplay's don't panic. The site justinguitar.com has a few free views of easy acoustic songs that you can learn quick and will help you greatly.

Cheers mate, I will definitley check it out.
Work on your finger flexibility a lot also.

some stuff like:

E- 1-2-4-1-2-5-1-3-4-1-3-5

Keep your first finger planted and use the middle finger for 2nd fret, ring finger for 3rd, and pinky for 4th and 5th.

It won't get your fingers used to the chords but it will decrease the time it takes for that to happen.
Ditto on everything else that's been said.

Knockin on Heaven's Door is indeed a great song for practicing chord changes. I would also recommend Tuesday's Gone once you get KoHD. It throws a single bar chord in that will help you down the road. Just make sure you get the three chord progression from KoHD down first.

Tuesday's Gone

Verse - A E F#m D
Chorus - A G D, A E D

Again, take it slow and learn the first one before the latter one.

F#m

e|---2---|
B|---2---|
G|---2---|
D|---4---|
A|---4---|
E|---2---|
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Rocktron Metal Planet Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Last edited by AlphaBlackheart at Dec 22, 2009,
I learnt Circles by Slipknot to help me with open chords.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Alrite so thanks to everyone, you've all been so great
I had a little go yesterday and was actually producing a smooth rhythm of chord changes, but then when i came back today i was back to the big pauses. Anyone else get this? :P
Quote by NirvHPLFC
Alrite so thanks to everyone, you've all been so great
I had a little go yesterday and was actually producing a smooth rhythm of chord changes, but then when i came back today i was back to the big pauses. Anyone else get this? :P

Yup, that is normal too. Don't worry about it. With more practise, you would be fluid every single time you try to change chords. It could take anything from 3 months to 1 year, so 4 months really isn't too long.
I've been playing for a year and still have some gaps in my chord changes - maybe one second - between G to C and F to G. Also, F to Dmin has been a pain lately.
Quote by Kumanji
The only thing that matters in music these days is money - genuinely talented artists are passed over entirely or corraled into making non-offensive, non-threatening average music that sells.
practise, and practise.
my fingers are very small and I'm 15 too, but At the end of 3 week of learnig guitar, i could change the chord in 1-2 seconds.
I Bodyboarding