Hello,
I've been working on this for about the past month or so. I haven't tried playing much of it, in fact, most of it I have written without any instruments. Let me know what you guys think.
Attachments:
Ion-esque.gp5
Dude, I'm not sure why, but I'm not getting any sound out of the file. I'm sure that's why you have no crits.

EDIT: Problem was my computer.

I haven't heard Ion Dissonance, but this seems very Dillinger Escape Plan with no repeating and almost constant dissonance. Though honestly, it just all seems really forced. There's a bit of it that I'm not sure can actually be played. Namely sections with huge jumps. The drums seemed really off to. There's almost no cymbal in all of it which kills the aggression of mathcore, and doesn't imply any kind time or rhythm. All I can suggest is that when you try to write this kind of music, you should really make sure you have an instrument on hand, and make sure that, as chaotic as you want it to be, it still has some form of catchiness before you write it in.
Last edited by Macabre_Turtle at Dec 24, 2009,
Well, I don't really get it. Maybe it's just too much for me, but I couldn't really find anything grabbing attention. Quite interesting tho.
Catchiness is hard in mathcore, lol, but there are a few breakdowns in it that I've got stuck in my head. I'll try to add a cymbal click, it's unfinished so I'm going to add bass as well, and more parts. I'm going to open it up into something less chaotic so that it's more dynamic and to just let it breathe. About the large jumps, I actually fixed some of those last night because I realize it's improbable to play it. I'll do some work and get back to you guys.

Thanks!

Edit:
I could use some help with cymbals, I'm having a hard time getting just a straight count, I believe because of some of the odd note groupings.
Last edited by jimmy388 at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by jimmy388

Edit:
I could use some help with cymbals, I'm having a hard time getting just a straight count, I believe because of some of the odd note groupings.

want help writing the drums?
Jazz: Also known as dissonance for sophisticates

In truth, this piece could probably be a bit better on the ear if you sped it up. The past few minutes were spent listening to slow, doomy riffs filled to the brim with nonsensical chords and dissonant riffs. Time signatures are bountiful, but for many of them nothing really happens. The latter half of the song was not nearly as painful though. I agree with what someone said a few posts before me, a lot of it seems pretty forced.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.