I am a bass player, but I love playing acoustic guitar. I am trying to learn a classical spiritual song, that calls for a E+5 chord. The piece is written for piano, but I am playing acoustic. All the chord sources I've looked at only have an "E5" chord. Is that the same thing? I appreciate any help. Thanks.
A + symbol usually denotes an augmented 5th, so I guess it would be a dyad with an E and C (or B# to be precise).
If it's written for piano do you have the notes written as on the staff?
that would help us name it.
Quote by Sean0913
Id ply an E5 and raise the B a half step more, sounds like an Augmented 5th interval. It could be an E aug triad also E G# B#
I would play an augmented triad. I'm just assuming it means E(+5) rather than E+(5), simply because the latter doesn't even make sense.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Were it meant to be an augmented triad, E+ would have sufficed for the notation.
Including the 5 in the notation suggests no third.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Either way, E+5 is incorrect.

What song is it, TS?
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
I would play an augmented triad. I'm just assuming it means E(+5) rather than E+(5), simply because the latter doesn't even make sense.

E(+5) doesn't make sense either, and doesn't exclude the 3rd.

E+5, imo, actually makes most sense of all. It rather concisely takes E5 and says to augment the 5th, without having to say E+(no third) or E(#5, no third).
Quote by blue_strat
E(+5) doesn't make sense either, and doesn't exclude the 3rd.

E+5, imo, actually makes most sense of all. It rather concisely takes E5 and says to augment the 5th, without having to say E+(no third) or E(#5, no third).

Right, because if it were written as something strange like Emaj(#5) it could have easily been called E+ so that's why I suspect it was intended without a 3rd and emphasizes 2 notes, E and the raised 5
Last edited by Sean0913 at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by blue_strat
E(+5) doesn't make sense either
Well yeah, but none of these are correct notation anyway. Correct notation for an augmented chord would be E+, so to argue that E+5 is correct notation for an augmented chord would be absurd.

It may be pointless to argue this point, because of the ambiguity and subjectivity of the nomenclature, but to me, E+5 implies taking a major triad (E) and augmenting the fifth (+5). Like I said, it's ambiguous though. I understand the reasoning behind your point as well. For example, if you said E9, it implies that there is a 7 in there as well.

Also, this: (http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/index.php?ch=C&mm=-5&get=Get) suggests that a C-5 refers to a major triad except with a -5.
-Chick Corea