Hello there...

As the title says...

I'm looking for something somewhat small, quiet enough for good bedroom volumes but I'd also like to play some small shows with it. I don't care if it's tube or solid state, I just want a quality sound.

The music will mainly be clean/acoustic/ambient/etc, and I'll also be by myself (with possible backing tracks) if that's of any importance to know.

For 'features', a footswitch would be nice. Something I WANT to have is an fx loop, as I use plenty of pedals that would be best-suited in one...this also means I want a pedal-friendly amp, so no modeling please.

My budget's probably about 300 USD, and of course this means I'm more than willing to go used.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT:

I highly doubt whatever amp this is could be mic'd at these gigs, so please suggest something that would be loud enough on it's own.

EDIT::

I hate sounding so picky, but my options 'brand-wise' are kind of limited due to my uh, geographic location. Nothing out-of-the-ordinary...it's difficult enough to find any Vox here...
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Last edited by Td_Nights at Dec 22, 2009,
a blackstar ht-5 has all you want, but is out of your budget new at $450, an early used version may be able to be picked up for about $300 if you look around. but it may not be as powerfull as you want as it's only 5 watts but it is tube
Quote by britishsligean
a blackstar ht-5 has all you want, but is out of your budget new at $450, an early used version may be able to be picked up for about $300 if you look around. but it may not be as powerfull as you want as it's only 5 watts but it is tube

will it be able to handle gigs?

otherwise check out some fender FM, pretty basic solid state, but it does the job.
Okay, I should've specified about the mic'd-or-not thing...editing OP.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
The Fender 212R looks like a decent idea...any other suggestions anyone?
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Td_Nights
The Fender 212R looks like a decent idea...any other suggestions anyone?

No, don't get a frontman.

The problem is, most relatively small tube amps are focused on rock, not so much on clean sounds, so I'm not entirely sure was to suggest you.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
No, don't get a frontman.

The problem is, most relatively small tube amps are focused on rock, not so much on clean sounds, so I'm not entirely sure was to suggest you.

I don't care if it's SS or Tube. I really don't. I just want good solid cleans, at a reasonable sound level and price, used if I have to go that route.

Why not a frontman?
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Td_Nights
I don't care if it's SS or Tube. I really don't. I just want good solid cleans, at a reasonable sound level and price, used if I have to go that route.

Why not a frontman?

I had to play a frontman at the school talent show. It was on full volume (The same version as you're looking at), and wasn't loud enough. Also, the amp was incredibly harsh sounding. It's basically an oversized practise amp. (Check out the 15 watt version...) The extra money you pay for it doesn't increase the sound quality, it merely increases the wattage.
I doubt it'll cope well with pedals, although I haven't tried running a pedal through it.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
I had to play a frontman at the school talent show. It was on full volume (The same version as you're looking at), and wasn't loud enough. Also, the amp was incredibly harsh sounding. It's basically an oversized practise amp. (Check out the 15 watt version...) The extra money you pay for it doesn't increase the sound quality, it merely increases the wattage.
I doubt it'll cope well with pedals, although I haven't tried running a pedal through it.

Oh okay.

So do you have any other recommendations?
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
mkay ... my final suggestion is a hughes & kettner edition blue 60 R

looks good on paper but I never had the chance to play one, but it sounds good based on some youtube demo's. So try one out if you can
Quote by ComradSputnik
mkay ... my final suggestion is a hughes & kettner edition blue 60 R

looks good on paper but I never had the chance to play one, but it sounds good based on some youtube demo's. So try one out if you can

I'd like to try one, but (apparently) there's only one dealer in Indiana (according to the h/k site) and they're nowhere near me.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Td_Nights
I'd like to try one, but (apparently) there's only one dealer in Indiana (according to the h/k site) and they're nowhere near me.

hmm bummer, well I would recommend a Roland JC, it would be perfect, then again it's over your budget. But see if you can find a used one that fits your budget
Quote by ComradSputnik
hmm bummer, well I would recommend a Roland JC, it would be perfect, then again it's over your budget. But see if you can find a used one that fits your budget

*looks up price new*
Yikes. I'm not sure about my used options, my only hope is a craigslist posting.

I sound really pessimistic today...
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
OP Edited (again)
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
You NEED to check out the Bugera V22 played one today for the first time and was BLOWN AWAY. Or a Vypyr tube 60? You could probably find one used. Has good cleans.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Quote by eyebanez333

get a used Peavey Classic 30

/thread

Sorry I'm not as well-read on amps as you.

And it looks pretty good. Just have to find a locally used one, which may take some waiting.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Td_Nights
Sorry I'm not as well-read on amps as you.

And it looks pretty good. Just have to find a locally used one, which may take some waiting.

Wasn't trying to be a dick....and it wasn't directed to you. I really wander if anybody reads the original post before they post a response...

-you'd be lucky to get a used Roland JC for $500 USD...let alone $300

-the V22 doesn't have an effects loop (which you asked for)

-you asked for a pedal-friendly amp...non-modelling...so you get a peavey vypyr recommendation
Quote by eyebanez333
Wasn't trying to be a dick....and it wasn't directed to you. I really wander if anybody reads the original post before they post a response...

-you'd be lucky to get a used Roland JC for $500 USD...let alone $300

-the V22 doesn't have an effects loop (which you asked for)

-you asked for a pedal-friendly amp...non-modelling...so you get a peavey vypyr recommendation

I noticed a lot of that too. I don't like being mean (on purpose).

Thanks for the (good) recommendation though.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Td_Nights

I noticed a lot of that too. I don't like being mean (on purpose).

Thanks for the (good) recommendation though.

I'd go for the Peavey Classic 30. I used to have one...and I regret selling it. I'm looking into buying the Classic 50 this time around. They have a great clean channel, take pedals well, and the overdrive is enough to handle some rock music. I played around with all kinds of boost pedals and the amp responded very well to all of them. Very well rounded and reliable amps. Plus the 30 tube watts will be loud enough to practice over a drummer, and even play smaller gigs un-mic'd if need be. Plus, the 30's go used all the time for $200-$300 USD depending on condition
Quote by eyebanez333
I'd go for the Peavey Classic 30. I used to have one...and I regret selling it. I'm looking into buying the Classic 50 this time around. They have a great clean channel, take pedals well, and the overdrive is enough to handle some rock music. I played around with all kinds of boost pedals and the amp responded very well to all of them. Very well rounded and reliable amps. Plus the 30 tube watts will be loud enough to practice over a drummer, and even play smaller gigs un-mic'd if need be. Plus, the 30's go used all the time for $200-$300 USD depending on condition

Sounds great. Hopefully I can snag one, I'm in north-central Indiana and I'm a teenager without a car. Distance is a factor

When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
If you could save just a tiny bit more money, you could get a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.