After playing for almost two years I have learned the minor pent. scale and the major scale, I have come up with some nice licks, riffs, chords, and know a few songs. Since I don't have much time to learn guitar (you can blame that on my uni) I feel like I'm stuck in a rut. I try to come up with stuff using a specific scale in a specific key and I just get stuck. In my mind I sometimes think, "ok now I'm in hitting a A note I have to go to a C" But when I simply don't think about it it sounds way better, it just flows.. If you were to ask me what key or what scale that was that I just played in, I would have no clue.

So my question is do you guys usually lay out a key and a scale and then improvise or you just play and THEN see what scale and what key that is? When you guys improvise do you guys stay in one position of the scale or move to a couple of positions?
i try and go up and down the fretboard, but i like to use chromaticism and incorporate one or two key notes that really define the scale i.e. the 3rd and the 7th,
the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

Quote by GibsonRocker14
you can use guitar strings to skin carrots....

wait.... wuttt???
Quote by LedZepFan2000
After playing for almost two years I have learned the minor pent. scale and the major scale, I have come up with some nice licks, riffs, chords, and know a few songs. Since I don't have much time to learn guitar (you can blame that on my uni) I feel like I'm stuck in a rut. I try to come up with stuff using a specific scale in a specific key and I just get stuck. In my mind I sometimes think, "ok now I'm in hitting a A note I have to go to a C" But when I simply don't think about it it sounds way better, it just flows.. If you were to ask me what key or what scale that was that I just played in, I would have no clue.

So my question is do you guys usually lay out a key and a scale and then improvise or you just play and THEN see what scale and what key that is? When you guys improvise do you guys stay in one position of the scale or move to a couple of positions?

Keeping the focus of your question in mind and your relevant background knowledge, I would say that starting out with improvising, I teach my students to stay in the lines, and I'd reccomend that in your approach that you do the same. Eventually when they understand the lines, I approach the subject of there being no wrong notes in music. But by then they learn the difference, and that in itself can have a powerful effect. If you take this approach you chose when to play what and where. Inside or Outside

So my question is do you guys usually lay out a key and a scale and then improvise

Do you mean lay out a key as in we create the key? If you mean lay out a "chord progression" as in random, without figuring out what key, I consider that to be a bit more advanced. For example what if some of the chords in that progression are from other keys? You have to learn to walk before you learn to run.

In a teaching situation I'll play a progression in say, a Major key and I teach them how to determine the key without seeing the chords, and I also teach them what to do over those chords (diatonic to the key, meaning we are not playing notes that are outside the key, at first)

Or do you just play and THEN see what scale and what key that is?

We teach this, however again, because the key may have chords which fall outside the original starting key, its best to understand the relationship of scales and chords, and so that's a bit more advanced, in my opinion, and you should know diatonic harmony first and intervals and then how to apply scales over that in one key, before going further.

Eventually you then can learn how to approach any chord in any key and when chords are outside that key, or how to figure what other key they may be from. This isn't the only approach one can take to the scale and chord question, but learning how to play within the lines is best for learning how to later play outside, because you'll know the difference how to do it and when you are deliberately doing so. In or out you are controlling where the music is going when improvising.

When you guys improvise do you guys stay in one position of the scale or move to a couple of positions?

No we play in any direction in 4 directions - there are no boxes or other positions. The whole neck is available as a scale diagram in any key or scale, with no "black spots" or places we don't know as well or aren't as familiar with.

Being in uni and being challenged for time can be really frustrating, there's always someplace new we want to go to, or learn on the guitar and when the time we have available, clashes with the degree that we want to learn something and progress RIGHT NOW, it can be tough.

Hope this answers your question.
Last edited by Sean0913 at Dec 22, 2009,