Hey, kinda new poster here. Recently I've been doing up an old classical guitar of my dad's that he thinks has been thrown out and rendered useless. It's all done now, so I went to the store today and bought a pack of D'Addario silverplated nylon strings (as recommended by the store owner). So tonight I've put the strings on, and been trying to tune them. First thing I noticed was when I got them to the desired pitch, they seemed very loose (even after a long while of bending, etc. to wear them in a bit). Second, I've never had a set of strings that didn't stay in tune as much - these were nowhere near...then when I finally got them tuned to the notes, they were still an octave lower than they should've been, and right on the edge of making no tuned noise at all. So I've tried to go up to where the notes should be and the strings just wouldn't budge...even after so long of wigglng the strings about and wearing them in. Then I found the limit of the E1 string (nowhere near its tuning) and it snapped on me. What do you guys think? Dodgy batch?
Could you please elaborate on this sentence:

So I've tried to go up to where the notes should be and the strings just wouldn't budge...
I'd suggest learning-up on how to change and tune classical strings. There is a thread somewhere in this forum. Google would also solve the mystery.
Quote by The Chazbo
It's all done now

Wait, whats all done?
Quote by The Chazbo
First thing I noticed was when I got them to the desired pitch, they seemed very loose

Quote by The Chazbo
then when I finally got them tuned to the notes, they were still an octave lower than they should've been, and right on the edge of making no tuned noise at all.

No tuned noise at all? I thought you said you already tuned it to the "desired pitch" already.
Quote by The Chazbo
So I've tried to go up to where the notes should be and the strings just wouldn't budge...even after so long of wigglng the strings about and wearing them in. Then I found the limit of the E1 string (nowhere near its tuning) and it snapped on me. What do you guys think? Dodgy batch?

I think you aren't tuning your guitar properly...
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Hey guys, I've got a new set of strings and things are going better. I've had the guitar restrung by a professional, who did it the same way I did before. I've taken some advice as well and tuned the guitar a note higher than standard EADGBE. I then left it overnight and the guitar has (as the man in the shop said) returned to EADGBE. However, the sound is still "loose" and even though the strings are tuned to the correct notes, I think they may still be an octave lower than they are supposed to be, as there is not much distance between tuned notes and "no tuned noise" still. I do have a lot of guitar restringing/tuning experience, though mainly with electrics and steel stringed acoustics. This one though has me stumped. Any ideas?
an octave lower is a lot lower. my best guess is you're using low tension strings now, and were using higher tension strings before.

for the most part, i'm not sure what you're saying, but i suspect you need to learn how to tune your guitar and how to pick the right strings.

if you make a recording of your guitar, slowly playing one string at a time so we can hear it, it would be more likely we could help.
So the professional re-strung your guitar but didn't bother to tune it?

I think they may still be an octave lower than they are supposed to be

If you really have a lot of experience then you would know for sure whether or not this is the case.

there is not much distance between tuned notes and "no tuned noise" still.

Huh???
you really need to just stop trying...

the notes are correct, you're probably not used to the sound. the first time i restrung my electric after having experience only with my acoustic, i thought the sound was really thin and believed it was an octave too low too.

so quit it, you're in the clear. well almost, nylons take longer to break in/stretch.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Oooooo. I think I get it. Yeah, with a classical guitar the strings are a whole lot looser because they aren't as "stiff" (I forget the word right now, I only just woke up) as steel strings. They are going to vibrate "Wider" than on an acoustic or electric. Uhmm, it probably sounds like its an octave lower because it doesn't sound as bright as a steel. Also, you probably think its an octave lower because the strings aren't as hard to play. Like, the tension is lower so you can move the strings further away easier. I know what I changed tunings on my guitar sometimes it feels really loose a half step down. Well.... because it is. With a classical guitar its going to feel that way too.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘