peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
I'll write a tutorial on Virtual Instruments & Midi. I'll try and finish it by the end of tomorrow but no promises
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
ill do a bit on shortcuts automations and what type of track is for what , organising tracks
i can possible supply some demo tracks for people to work on maybe,

Usefull shortcuts

ctrl = is to switch between your 2 windows

windows alt arm with your mouse will give arm all your tracks

ill get some more up later
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

Last edited by hans the lefty at Jan 22, 2010,
ill have all the photo in january
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

i feel like this could have been great
Schecter C-1 Classic
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 602
Line 6 DL-4
Line 6 FM-4
Boss MT-2
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Limited
Electro Harmonix Small Stone
Wtf how is this an official thread there isn't anything in here. Lol "HELLO!"

hello...

hello...

hello...

Seriously though what happened to this thread? I was expecting quick Pro Tools FAQ's and people watching this thread ready to help people. It's a ghost town. Anybody here able to help me? I got questions!
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by GODhimself37
Wtf how is this an official thread there isn't anything in here. Lol "HELLO!"

hello...

hello...

hello...

Seriously though what happened to this thread? I was expecting quick Pro Tools FAQ's and people watching this thread ready to help people. It's a ghost town. Anybody here able to help me? I got questions!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1260459 Duh.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by DirtyMakik

That has nothing to do with Pro Tools and recording with it. It's for electronic music. I'm trying to record with guitar, bass, mandolin, etc. Not MIDI devices. Duh.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by GODhimself37
That has nothing to do with Pro Tools and recording with it. It's for electronic music. I'm trying to record with guitar, bass, mandolin, etc. Not MIDI devices. Duh.

Can I help you? I'm pretty sure I could answer some of your questions and promise you I'll give it my best. What troubles you my friend?
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
I'm gonna try to make this as basic as possible for even the newest of the newbies to grasp. There are 8 (technically 9) different tracks in Pro Tools. Mono Audio, Stereo Audio, Mono Aux, Stereo Aux, Mono Master(technically the 9th as rarely used as far as I know), Stereo Master, MIDI, Mono Instrument, and Stereo Instrument.

MONO/STEREO AUDIO--
These tracks are used to record audio from your interface or other tracks inside of Pro Tools. (I'll get to the other tracks part in a bit) I usually use mono audio tracks for everything with the exception of things like electric pianos that are being run through a direct box from the stereo output of the electric piano. You can record drum overheads to a stereo track if you like. Its not my preference but I don't rule the world.

MONO/STEREO AUXILIARY (AUX)--
These tracks are used for your time-based effects such as reverbs, delays, flangers, etc. The proper way to use these tracks is to set up a BUS from the send of another track(usually mono or stereo audio). {QUICK SIDE NOTE: A BUS IS A PATH TO INTERNALLY ROUTE SIGNAL(SOUND/AUDIO WHATEVER YOU WANNA CALL IT)}. Set up your BUS on the send of one track and make the INPUT of your AUX the same as that BUS you used. Next use your favorite plug-in to make your mix the best it can be. Use stereo AUX for things like reverbs and other things that are spread out across the stereo field. Mono AUX can be used for things like a delay on one vocal part that isn't gonna be panning all over the place.

STEREO MASTER--
This is your master fader inside Pro Tools. If you are mixing entirely inside of the system(not sending the audio to an outboard mixer and 002/003/ProjectMix are just control surfaces not mixers) you need a master fader to make sure your mix's overall level isn't clipping. Digital clipping is very nasty and not in a good way. Just make a Stereo Master track and thats it. You can also use this to compress you overall mix if you so choose.

MIDI--
A MIDI track is just that, a MIDI track. You set the input to receive the incoming data from your midi device then set the output to go back to the midi device then from the MIDI device to your outboard gear like your Fantom or Triton Rack. This type of track is really useful for recording the actually MIDI performance and letting you experiment with different patches later on. To record the audio coming from the external gear just make an Audio track and record it.

MONO/STEREO INSTRUMENT--
These tracks are really useful if you have virtual instrument(V I) plug-ins in your system. Just choose whether you need stereo or mono and put the V I on an insert on the track. Super easy.

Now back to the part where I said about using an audio track to get sound from inside the system. I use a BUS to move the audio from an INSTRUMENT track and record it to an audio track. Use the BUS on your send on the INST. track. Set the input of your Audio Track to be the same bus. And your are ready to record down. Also you can rename the BUS to anything you like. Just a trick to make it easy to tell them apart. Just right click on a BUS and press RENAME.

Thats all the time I got today folks. Any questions just email me co.mark@yahoo.co or leave a post. Thanks
This is a technique used mostly on drums but can be used on just about anything I would imagine. Its used as an effect to make the overall kit sound a little bit tighter and enhance your bottom end some.

Here's how to get set up:

1. Make a STEREO AUX track with a STEREO BUS as your input (rename it if it helps you)
2. Set up sends on all your tracks that you want to be affected(I'm gonna use drum tracks)
3. Make sure the BUSES aren't clipping!!
4. Insert a compressor on the STEREO AUX track and slam it hard.
(THE PIC IS JUST A STARTIN PLACE FOR THE COMPRESSOR. USE YOUR EARS)
5. Mix in the heavily compressed track to taste.
Side Note:
You can do this exact same thing but just on the kick drum and then put an EQ on it an shave off the highs and a little mid-range and then mix it in. Just a little variation. I have heard Parallel Compression called New York Style Compression as well as people saying ots only NY Style if you EQ as well. It doesn't matter what you call it just as long as you are getting the effect that you want out of the process RIGHT!!!
Is that no one has Pro Tools or is it that everyone that has it knows everything about it??? This post is a dead zone!!!
No please keep posting! This could shape up to be a sweet FAQ, thanks for the input you've already contributed.
This should be good! I've had Pro Tools for a little over a year now but I've never really devoted a lot of time to mastering the software.

Just a quick question though. I usually programme my drums using EZ drummer/DFH in FL studio, then record my guitars and stuff in pro tools. Anyway, I'm getting an Imac at some point over the next few weeks and I understand that FL studio doesn't work on it. I hear that the new Pro Tools 8 is really good for programming midis/vsts and I was wondering if someone could clear that up for me?

Cheers
Top lel.
Hey man EZ Drummer is compatible with Pro Tools since it has an RTAS version(PT runs RTAS and TDM(HD only) plug in types) You can run VST but have to buy a VST wrapper from FXPANSION. But Pro Tools did do some things to make their MIDI programming a little better. There is now an EDITOR window you can pull up and if you are blessed to have dual screens it makes it a little easier to draw in notes. There are a few decent plug ins like Xpand2 the DB33 organ is cool. If you need some 808 drops look though Xpand2 and try BOOM. Vacuum is a model of a hard lead synth. Its got a cool laser sound effect in there. Check out my profile to hear some of the xpand from sounds. Im tryin to load in a track i did for fun a few weeks ago and the description explains the track. Hope this helped man. Anymore questions feel free to ask!!!!
I didnt know who knows but on the digidesign site there is a free update to 8.0.3 Its supposed to fix bugs and compatibility issues with OSX 10.6(snow Leopard) and Windows 7. Just visit digidesign.com and on the front page should be a link for it.
Thanks a lot man! I managed to open it in pro tools before... but it was kinda difficult to programme. I'm debating whether to get logic as well just for programming stuff?
Top lel.
Hello people, I just wanted to say:

1- I think we should make an effort to fulfill this thread's potential

2- In light of what I just said above, I will be making several tutorials during this weekend and will post them during next week. I finished Uni today SO I now have time to do this.

SO, be on the lookout for my tutorials. They WILL be up by next week.
I'll be covering how to:
-set up FX efficiently, in particular the biggest CPU/ RAM hog of all: REVERB (dun dun dun!).
-set up a basic session
-main differences between the different systems
-how to be efficient in your sessions (naming stuff, keeping it all clean, automations, submixes, etc...)

Any one else who would like to contribute is more than welcome to. Let's save the PT thread!

In the mean time, any questions should be posted here, I'll check this thread daily.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Last edited by miguelito2729 at Jan 29, 2010,
Quote by lockwolf
I'll write a tutorial on Virtual Instruments & Midi. I'll try and finish it by the end of tomorrow but no promises

Still haven't gotten around to this. I'm lazy as hell :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Still haven't gotten around to this. I'm lazy as hell :p

Hahahaha join the club man

I've not really had time to do any recording recently anyway
Top lel.
Hey UG,
This is a little post about some mixing techniques/strategies. Not everyone knows how to calculate BPM (beats per minute). So here is your formula. Have a metronome of tap tempo device and find your BPM. Next divide 60,000 by your BPM. So if song is 80 BPM it 60,000/80=750 milliseconds(ms) Thats your quarter-note value. To get longer notes like 1/2 or whole notes simply multiply by 2. So a 1/2 note = 1500ms or 1.5 seconds (s) and whole note = 3000ms or 3s. To get smaller note values simply keep dividing. 1/8 note = 375ms and so on. So this rule can be applied to reverbs in the sense of your RT (decay) time. It just sounds so much better to have your reverbs decay in time with your track. It just sounds more natural. Now you can follow this link cause I still haven't found a formula to calculate the LFO (low frequency oscillator) rate. http://www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/tools/delay-time-calculator.htm

Basically this rate is going to control things like flangers and chorus and most modulations. I know its short hopefully precise and to the point where its easily understandable, but I gotta head to the studio to go to work so until next time UG have a happy PT experience.
Quote by the memory
Thanks a lot man! I managed to open it in pro tools before... but it was kinda difficult to programme. I'm debating whether to get logic as well just for programming stuff?

If you have PT 8 there is a giant window you can open thats just a MIDI editor window. I'll try to get a pic up soon for you or you can search in the help section of Pro Tools.
Quote by rockisalive
If you have PT 8 there is a giant window you can open thats just a MIDI editor window. I'll try to get a pic up soon for you or you can search in the help section of Pro Tools.

The first is the button to open the MIDI Editor window and the second is a pic of the window as its stretched out..(the button is in the bottom left corner where the cursor turned black to resize the screen)
Last edited by rockisalive at Feb 3, 2010,
i have pro tools myself. do you need a MIDI interface to make it work? (im sorry if i sound like an idiot im rather new to this)
Quote by randyaintdead82
i have pro tools myself. do you need a MIDI interface to make it work? (im sorry if i sound like an idiot im rather new to this)

Nah man. As long as you have a compatiable interface like an MBox 2 or approved M-Audio Interface Pro Tools will run. A MIDI Interface is just a way to get MIDI data into your system
Hey PT Users,

There are two basic thoughts on how to get time based FX into your mix:
1. Make an AUX track and BUSS all the tracks you want the FX on to the AUX
2. Insert the FX right on that track

Lets start with the easiest. Inserting the FX right on the track has its pros and cons.
Pro is that you don't have to make tracks and do all the bussing. Cons you have to play with the WET/Dry mix on the plugin and personally I like to leave it on 100% wet to get all the juiciness out. This also means if you want multiple tracks to have the same reverb (for example its a CPU hog) you have to copy that plug-in to all the tracks you want affected.

The second is making an AUX track and inserting the plug in on the AUX track. Next change the input to the appropriate bus (mono or stereo) then you can rename to keep you organized. Next just make a SEND on all the tracks you want to go to that AUX and make sure you push the faders up. (On mac its option-click on the fader not sure on PC either control or alt-click). Just leave the WET/DRY at 100% and use the volume fader of the AUX to mix the FX into your track.

IF ANYONE ELSE HAS ANYTHING TO ADD PLEASE DONT HESITATE. PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS OR SUGGEST NEW TOPICS. I'M STARTING TO RUN OUT OF IDEAS FOR POSTS
Quote by CatharsisStudio
i never went anywere with this threads because i stopped giving a ****. also i am 100% done with pt the fact that it can't seemesly do slip editing makes it worthless to me now.

What do you mean? Care to elaborate a bit more? I'd love to help you out and reconcile you with PT.
PM for details.

you forgot the big feature the score editor
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp