Page 1 of 2
Welcome to UGs offical Thread on the daw called Logic

this thread is written by Chrism3006

Logic Pro 101: Part 1 - Opening a new project and adding tracks

Well, because I have some faith in humanity I'm going to assume that you've managed to install logic correctly! Its as simple as following the instructions on screen, until its all installed (this may take a while as there is A LOT of content included with Logic Pro Studio).

It's worth mentioning that I am running Logic Pro 9.0.2 on OS X 10.5.8.

Starting A Project:

Right, open up logic and start a new project, this is done by going to the tab at the top of the screen, hovering over the FILE tab and choosing new project from the drop down list:

Once the project has opened you will presented with a few options about what tracks you would like to start your project with:

Now click create and you should have an open project with just one audio track in, named Audio 1 by Default:

Adding more tracks:

Now then, your obviously going to need more tracks than that, so lets add some more:

Above where it says Audio 1 on the track header it says Global tracks and there are two Icons. Don't worry about Global Tracks for the moment we're concentrating on the two icons:

The First Icon (+): will bring up the same track pop up as originally came up when starting a new project and you can set up and add more tracks in exactly the same way, but not just yet.

The Second icon: Clicking this will create a duplicate track with exactly the same setup as the track currently selected. Click this in your project that we have going, it will duplicate the audio track that we added at the start.

You will now have two audio tracks in your project; Audio 1 and Audio 2.

Now we are going to setup a basic band situation, I will be using midi bass and drums, but if your using real bass just substitute my midi bass track for an audio one. For real drums, they will require multiple tracks to be set up, I will go into this later on.

For now add two software instrument tracks to your project (Drums and Bass). You should end up with a project that looks like this:

Save the project in a suitable place.

We will go onto, The basic layout of logic and preparing for recording next.
                  Last edited by CatharsisStudio at Dec 22, 2009,
                  Logic Pro 101: Part 2 - The basic layout of logic

The Basic Layout:

Right I'm going ignore the very top toolbar for the mean time as its fairly self explanatory and it would take me all day to explain everything, I will use this toolbar later and I'll explain what we're doing as we go.

The next important section are the icons within your project, the first row of icons from the top, I'll start with the icons on the left:

From Left To Right:

The rest of the icons in the same row all the way over to the right look like this:

From Left To Right:

The Inspector:

The inspector is the region to the left of the composing area, for the sake of this tutorial I have opened the Track Information box, to do this click the arrow to the left of where it says which ever track you are on, the inspector looks like this;

From Top to Bottom:

posting to save
                                              Reserved - I use logic nearly everyday, its my main daw. I'll be more than happy to put together any tutorials for people, just post in this thread.
                                              Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
                                              Schecter C1 Elite
                                              Ibanez EWC30
                                              Maxon OD-808
                                              Framus Cobra
                                              Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
                                              ENGL E530 Preamp
                                              Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
                                              Last edited by chrism3006 at Dec 22, 2009,
                                              How the hell do you reverse a section of a MIDI track? I've tried playing with Functions > Transform > Reverse Position to no avail. Is that even the right function for reversing the sound lmao? Any help would be great.
                                              Quote by Drummerrrrr?
                                              How the hell do you reverse a section of a MIDI track? I've tried playing with Functions > Transform > Reverse Position to no avail. Is that even the right function for reversing the sound lmao? Any help would be great.

Bounce it down to audio, import audio, reverse audio.

reverse position will make the notes play in the opposite order (or change position), I'm assuming you want to actually reverse the sound itself, rather than just the order.
                                              Quote by griffRG7321
                                              become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
                                              Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
                                              Yep, I want the audio reversed. I'm trying to dodge having to constantly mix down though so I can change software instruments .etc on the fly for different sounds. Being able to reverse the actual MIDI file is what I'm looking for though, I don't know if it's possible =/
                                              Quote by Drummerrrrr?
                                              Yep, I want the audio reversed. I'm trying to dodge having to constantly mix down though so I can change software instruments .etc on the fly for different sounds. Being able to reverse the actual MIDI file is what I'm looking for though, I don't know if it's possible =/

Its important to note that reversing the midi will only change the order of the notes, and not actually "reverse" the sound.

the sounds will still play back from the synth/instrument in the same way, but with a reversed note order.

say you have a nice synth that goes "wooossssshhhhh" when a note is played,
                                              reversing the midi positions will only reverse the oder of the notes, they will still sound like "woooossssshhhhhh". rather than "hhhhhssssssoooooow".

to truely reverse the sound of what you are hearing, you need to bounce down to audio and reverse that piece of audio.
                                              Ahhh ok, I thought I'd seen somewhere that you could actually reverse MIDI which I thought would be really handy. Thanks for the replies though, guys!
                                              You would have to reverse each individual sample that the midi instrument uses - effectively creating your own midi instrument. It could be done, but it would take a lot of time.
                                              Quote by griffRG7321
                                              become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
                                              Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
                                              Uhhh having a problem moving audio sections .etc around. Some times I'll copy and past a section and it won't line up directly on the start of the bar/beat causing it to play out of time and it won't lock to the bar/beat if I try dragging it there, always after or before.
                                              Quote by Drummerrrrr?
                                              Uhhh having a problem moving audio sections .etc around. Some times I'll copy and past a section and it won't line up directly on the start of the bar/beat causing it to play out of time and it won't lock to the bar/beat if I try dragging it there, always after or before.

In the top right of the arrange page, change the snapping from "Smart" to something like "Bar", "Division" or "Beats".

funnily enough, the "Smart" setting isn't particularly smart
                                              also, remember that the "Divisions" setting will align to whatever divisions are selected in the transport bar,
                                              so if you want a grid of triplets, change the divisions to "24" in the transport bar,
                                              same if you want 32nd note divisions on the grid, set it to "32".

EDIT:

see where it says 4/4, with a /16 under it? bottom centre of this image:

change that /16 to whatever you fancy by click-dragging up or down on it
                                              Last edited by TheDriller at Jan 20, 2010,
                                              hey guys, new logic user here. i'm just experimenting mixing my band's rough recordings, and i'm having trouble with the aux sends.

i sent the drum tracks to bus 1, but i get no signal from there. the manual doesn't help much either which is a pain. i keep finding that it tells you things logic is capable of, but no instructions
                                              Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
                                              Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
                                              Keeley Modded BD-2
                                              Vox V847a
                                              Quote by one vision
                                              Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
                                              Quote by UnsignedRecords
                                              hey guys, new logic user here. i'm just experimenting mixing my band's rough recordings, and i'm having trouble with the aux sends.

i sent the drum tracks to bus 1, but i get no signal from there. the manual doesn't help much either which is a pain. i keep finding that it tells you things logic is capable of, but no instructions

Have you turned up the send level dial beside the send slot?
                                              oh... thaaaaat's what that is. i clicked it but didn't know what it did

thanks
                                              Keeley Modded BD-2
                                              Vox V847a
                                              Quote by one vision
                                              Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
                                              oh... thaaaaat's what that is. i clicked it but didn't know what it did

thanks

glad to help.

im gonna pm you my MSN name too so you can hit me up with questions.

as a guideline, if something doesn't respond to a click, try a click-drag.
                                              Logic 9 is really great - how ya' liking the new Amp Designer and Pedal Board (you're a Guitar Player I hope) ? I usually let my Boss GS-10 Interface do the Amp Sims as it has hundreds of great Presets but that Pedal Board Designer is SUPER COOL... The Pedals are all really well done and they look as good as they sound too. Also if you're into using IMPULSES I usually use "LA CONVOLVER" to load my Cab Impulses as SPACE DESIGNER (I have Logic Studio 9 - don't think SD comes with Express) uses a whole lot of resources (RAM & CPU). LA CONVOLVER is free and works slick with Cabs.
                                              Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
                                              Yeah I've been playing guitar for over 7 years now, I actually haven't used the pedal board yet but last night I recorded some dry tracks and will test them out today. Cool I think I have LA convolver in my components folder so that will work for the cab impulses cause your right SD doesn't come with express. What I really like about logic is the EXS24, with some quick tweaking you can get the software instruments to sounds incredible. I've upgraded to 4GB ram aswell so everything is running smoothly. Any questions I'll definitely post them here
                                              are there not many logic users or what?

anyways, i've got the hang of this mostly, but i have a question about sending tracks to an aux bus post fader, but having no control of the panning. is it possible to, for example, send a snare tom and floor tom to a bus, but have them panned in their own way?

thanks. oh and the driller, my computer will absolutely not let msn work, sorry
                                              Keeley Modded BD-2
                                              Vox V847a
                                              Quote by one vision
                                              Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Great thread! I recently purchased Logic Express 9 which I'm still slowly getting to grips with so yeah thanks for making this.
                                              Quote by UnsignedRecords
                                              are there not many logic users or what?

anyways, i've got the hang of this mostly, but i have a question about sending tracks to an aux bus post fader, but having no control of the panning. is it possible to, for example, send a snare tom and floor tom to a bus, but have them panned in their own way?

thanks. oh and the driller, my computer will absolutely not let msn work, sorry

You could set up a stereo auxiliary track and route the tracks to there rather than the main mix, then route then set the auxiliaries output to main mix, the panning would work but it might not be ideal depending on what you're doing.
                                              Can someone please tell me how to zoom out of the piano roll function to make the notes actually editable again? I somehow zoomed in so much that the notes take up the entire screen and I don't know how to switch it back without ruining everything I've done so far.
                                              Quote by EatShreddies
                                              You could set up a stereo auxiliary track and route the tracks to there rather than the main mix, then route then set the auxiliaries output to main mix, the panning would work but it might not be ideal depending on what you're doing.

thanks, i didn't even think about a stereo aux track. i'm gonna try that out.

edit: nice it works

before i had the aux channel set up in mono for one, and after setting up in stereo, i just had to change the aux sends to post pan.
                                              Quote by Echohead
                                              Can someone please tell me how to zoom out of the piano roll function to make the notes actually editable again? I somehow zoomed in so much that the notes take up the entire screen and I don't know how to switch it back without ruining everything I've done so far.

in that corner of the piano roll section you adjust the horizontal and vertical sliders to your liking.
                                              Keeley Modded BD-2
                                              Vox V847a
                                              Quote by one vision
                                              Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Apr 7, 2010,
                                              Quote by UnsignedRecords

in that corner of the piano roll section you adjust the horizontal and vertical sliders to your liking.

Ah thanks man, much appreciated.
                                              Quote by UnsignedRecords
                                              thanks, i didn't even think about a stereo aux track. i'm gonna try that out.

edit: nice it works

Aha, anything for a commando mate, I wasn't quite sure what you were trying to do without seeing your project. But I've recently been trying out stem mixing by packing all relevant tracks into folders and then sending each folder to a stereo auxiliary, so I thought it might come in handy, glad it worked for you though!

i've been experimenting compressing the snare and toms together, and at first it sounded amazing with this one drum mix (it's actually on my profile ) but then as i did other mixes i realized all the drums are panned center and the word 'mono' didn't occur to me.

super excited!
                                              Keeley Modded BD-2
                                              Vox V847a
                                              Quote by one vision
                                              Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Also, Logic is my main DAW if anybody wants any short tutorials I wouldn't mind trying that sort of thing out
                                              I just recorded a bass track for one of my songs and now when I play the song back, my lead guitar, one of my rhythm guitar tracks and another guitar track play back at half speed or atleast a slowed tempo. I didn't touch either of the tracks and there isn't anything in the history regarding those two tracks. The recordings in the arrange window show up with a '<->' icon at the start instead of the usual 'O'.
                                              Any ideas?
                                              Quote by Drummerrrrr?
                                              I just recorded a bass track for one of my songs and now when I play the song back, my lead guitar, one of my rhythm guitar tracks and another guitar track play back at half speed or atleast a slowed tempo. I didn't touch either of the tracks and there isn't anything in the history regarding those two tracks. The recordings in the arrange window show up with a '<->' icon at the start instead of the usual 'O'.
                                              Any ideas?

Could you screen shot it? the only thing I can think of without seeing it and hearing it would be perhaps the sample rate you recorded at or the default sample rate in Logic. but if it worked fine before and you haven't changed anything it could be a number of things.
                                              im a logic 9 user, what an awesome piece of software!!!!

However, its awesomeness currently isnt being used to the fullest as im very much a noob using it. I know a few things, like terms etc and techniques as i studied recording at college (this was using an ancient version of pro tools though)

Im having issues giving instruments the space they need to breathe, everything sounds cramped. IVe done plenty of experimenting with the panning of each instrument track, n while somethings work...i cant seem to shake a certain plasticity over things.

I use fruity loops to make my drum beats then import the patterns over as audio. It would be help if someone could explain how to use the drum program software inc in Logic. Basically everytime i click through drum kits, it deletes my drum pattern and puts its own pattern in. So two questions.

How can i stop it from removing my drum patterns?
                                              How do i select and delete all drum beats rather than individually clicking each beat away?
                                              Quote by Drummerrrrr?
                                              Any ideas?
                                              did you cut and/or move a piece of audio?

Cause you may have had several audio tracks selected without realising n moved them along with it (i have done this many times)
                                              oh also, a major issue ive got. For no reason, my fade tool doesnt work anymore.

Ill assign a fade in, and fade out. Absolutely nothing happens.
                                              I just got Logic Express 9 for a Christmas present and am loving it. I don't know how I was able to use Garageband for 3 years
                                              hah garage band for 3 years dude. after 1 month i bought Logic and I LOVE IT.

I'm doing all my demos, 10 done and 15 to record with my new interfaces etc...

My question is how to do drum loops on Logic!

I'm very fond on guitar, bass, learning on recording voices etc... But i'm not sure how to do drums. (My midi controller is arriving on 7 days so i could start practising already... )

IF it's with Logic better as it's the only program I have
                                              (and well m-audio fast track pro, 4 guitars, 6 mics etc... 1 bass etc..)
                                              Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
                                              Page 1 of 2