Page 1 of 3
Here's a beginner's guide to figuring out Ableton. I'm not going to tell you how to do it, I'm just going to provide the information so you can figure it out for yourself. It's better for both of us that way.

For those of you who got the program packaged with some hardware, watch this movie: http://www.ableton.com/live?a=what_is It will explain how the software works with a quick tutorial/demonstration in plain English with high quality sound and video.

Now if you already have the program, open the damn thing and notice that the first thing it does is offer to show you a bunch of hands-on lessons. It really doesn't get any more user-friendly than that! I don't understand all of you people who say you can't figure it out when the program is offering to teach you how to do things!

For some videos (as opposed to hands on lessons) check out the community section of their website (http://www.ableton.com/community), focusing on the two sections in the middle: movies and tutorials. You can learn all of the basics here. I know that I learn better from watching videos than following ableton's lessons, so maybe you will too!

Once you get your head around how it works, you should ask yourself what you want to accomplish with the program. There are SO MANY things you can do, so making one big tutorial page is going to be a huge mess of information that not everybody needs (though it's best to know it all, obviously).

If you want to produce hip hop, I HIGHLY recommend typing 'bboyspaz' into youtube and checking out his Ableton tutorials. He's super helpful and will make tutorial videos based on questions people ask him, so don't be afraid to ask him anything! He even reconstructs famous songs so you can see how they work.

If there are any other questions, the best thing you can do is ASK THEM! I'm constantly poking around R&R here, so I'll probably see your post within a few hours and make an honest attempt to answer it or show you where to get your answer. The Ableton forums are super helpful, but really slow, but don't hesitate to ask them because you'll get a great answer eventually.

I'm always open to PMs, and I know that UGer nynejoe is also a big Ableton freak, so go ahead and shoot him a PM or profile comment and see if he can lend a hand as well. I really want nothing more than to spread my love of Live to all of you who want to use it, so please ask away!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I will be out of town in rural bum-f@#$-nowhere for next 3 days for hoillidays lol
But when I get back I will be setting up a website/mysql database to host a rough ableton guide for thoose who want to collaborate. I will post the link when I get back for anyone interested in reviewing before posting or simply collaborating.
Quote by muckypup
Finally, I thread on Ableton! I have had Ableton 6 for ages now but just couldn't really work out how to use it and stuck with Reaper, is Ableton better than Reaper?

That depends, what are you trying to achieve?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Whatup, Ableton thread! I just made a video for you guys who want to use Ableton for guitar production, or make some loops to solo over, or make a simple backing track!

Check it out at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv58dNppYGk
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
That depends, what are you trying to achieve?

Well i'm not sure, I just like to be able to record all my guitar, bass and drum tracks with it and add effects But I'd like to know how to edit the guitar and bass tracks, because thats what I like to do when I just can't stand re-recording them!
Well then you don't need the full power of Ableton for that. Ableton puts a lot of focus on electronic music, and creating all kinds of synth loops and stuff like that, and if you're just out to record standard rock instruments that you actually own and play, then you're better off with a simple sequencer for that.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Hi Sid, found this thread on your advice, cheers!

Ok, so basically what I'm looking to do is record industrial metal instrumentals

I've been looking at Ableton Live Intro for a while and it seems to be able to do most things that I need, but I'm curious about the effects... does it have distortion that I can add to my guitars after I record them? I know Live 8 does but not sure about intro (I'm on a serious budget and can't afford Live 8 lol)

This stuff confuses the hell outta me! I've no idea where to even start with recording, which sockets/jacks on my PC to use, or even if my PC is up to the challenge specs wise
(1.73GHz dual core CPU, 1GB RAM, 13GB free space)

Any help you guys can give me would be awesome, thanks!
Well Live may have a bit TOO much for you if that's all you want to do. Unless you use a lot of loops and make all kinds of funky electronic noises, you may want to go for a more traditional DAW and spend your money on good amp sims (or get some free ones, there's another thread here for that and from what I hear they're pretty awesome). I have Live Suite, which has overdrive/distortion for guitars, but I haven't used it yet since I have Amplitube (which doesn't suck, but isn't amazing. Got it for free).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
Whatup, Ableton thread! I just made a video for you guys who want to use Ableton for guitar production, or make some loops to solo over, or make a simple backing track!

Check it out at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv58dNppYGk

Thanks for posting this up. I just loaded Ableton today but haven't messed with it yet. I finally got POD Farm somewhat figured out so I'm looking forward to getting some recording done with the other programs included with my Line6 UX2

My first impressions are that Ableton is probably overkill but will probably work for creating some tracks and recording some guitars over it.
^ That's a pretty solid first impression! It'll do everything you ask of it, but it has SO MANY other features that you'll probably never use. You never know, though, you could end up getting curious and creating some awesome new sounds!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Does Ableton have the ability to add in a simulated bass guitar? Via MIDI, I guess? I'm looking to add in some bass guitar tracks but not sure how to do so.

I've gone through a couple of the lessons and it appears it is possible, however I have no bass guitar listed as a preset. Is there something I would need to download to get this?

Sorry, my MIDI knowledge is pretty crappy
Quote by Lazy Destroyer
Does Ableton have the ability to add in a simulated bass guitar? Via MIDI, I guess? I'm looking to add in some bass guitar tracks but not sure how to do so.

I've gone through a couple of the lessons and it appears it is possible, however I have no bass guitar listed as a preset. Is there something I would need to download to get this?

Sorry, my MIDI knowledge is pretty crappy

Yes you can, you probably want to get a Bass VSTi of some sort (I don't use anything that simulates a bass guitar so I don't really have any recs, search around)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I have a few Bass presets, but they're from the EIC2 that I got with Suite. Just search Google for a 'free bass guitar vst' and see what comes up.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Hey guys...Its been a while...I got back from holliday vacation and then broke my foot by falling down the stairs...Sad part it wasnt new years, and I wasnt drunk! lol Anywho, Im almost done editing the ableton videos and the first part of the ableton guide for here.

For the bass, I found you can get a decent sound from tweaking one of abletons built in instruments. Woofer Lovin' preset, can be tweaked pretty easily to get a bass sound, but its not the only one. For woofer lovin you just need to smooth out the crackle. Add in a EQ, and GATE and/or compressor, to take off thoose hiss and crackles, to make it sound more like a bass, than an electronic instrument.

compressor try ratio of 4, slow release and somewhat fast attack. Tweak the high end with EQ while taking off some low. Worked for me.

Play around with it.

Last edited by nynejoe at Jan 5, 2010,
^Sweet, thanks! I will also try searching around for some VST stuff as well.

I'm not totally against simply buying a bass guitar, and I might still do that if I can find something priced well.
Interesting, I've been wanting to integrate a lot of electronics and cool effects into my songs but I havnt been sure how to do it without it just sounding...messy. Would ableton be the DAW for me then?
Quote by Thomasoman
Interesting, I've been wanting to integrate a lot of electronics and cool effects into my songs but I havnt been sure how to do it without it just sounding...messy. Would ableton be the DAW for me then?

As long as you don't mind a LOT of reading and learning before you start getting any particularly incredible results, then yeah it's pretty much made for electronic stuff.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Alright, I can deal with that, haha. I have the light version that came with my toneport so I may give that a try.
I got Lite Live with my interface.

Seems nice and easy to use...ish. Are there any good electronics for more ambient sounding stuff> Cos everything I've used so far sounds a bit too techno haha
anyone know a good screen capture program with audio? Trying to finish up the video ableton tutorials to go along with the first part of the guide i've written. Editing videos is a bitch....would be easier to just record audio output with screen capture by the 2 programs i tried don't record audio output.
Last edited by nynejoe at Jan 6, 2010,
^ Everything I've tried to use lags a bit and causes Live to crash. You're probably gonna have to pay for something that'll work really well, unfortunately. At least on a mac, idk what you're running.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Im running ubuntu...but i also dual boot XP on this machine. Anything that runs on XP will run in my ubuntu environment though. Yeh the programs i tired causes ableton to hang sometimes and stop responding for a second soemtimes more..

Im gonna have to scrap the video section until I find a new program, or posts the audioless vids, ughhh with me dealing with hangs.... Will post what i got tonight when i get from work on ableton guide.
I've just been putting my flip video on a tripod and going that way, it could be worse!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Thanks man, maybe ill try my webcam, but I doubt would do justice, its one of thoose 5$ logitech size of rabbit s**t webcams. lol
Hello!
Finally got Ableton Live Lite 7
Wondering if anyone knows how to set the metronome to count in (for 2 bars) before it starts actually recording?
Thanks
Another question!

I'm finding the Ableton manual quite complicated for a noob, so I was wondering if you guys could help

I'm trying to insert/import rhythms that I've made in Beatcraft to Ableton Live Lite 7, but I can't find an option. I don't find Abletons beatmaking/editing software very easy to use so would prefer to make my beats in Beatcraft and use Ableton for everything else.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks
Can you export midi from beatcraft? Then just drop it onto a track in Ableton, and set up some drum samples in a rack to correspond to the midi file. You could probably also rewire beatcraft right into Ableton, not sure if it's compatible though.

If you want to learn how to make beats in ableton, there's a tutorial built in. Go to view -> help view and then browse the tutorials.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Ah ok. I'll try it at the weekend when I've got loads of time to play around with it.
What's a rack? (Sorry for the dumb questions, I am a total noob at this!)
And how would I rewire beatcraft into Ableton? Sounds complicated

I kinda figured out how to make beats in ableton but if for any reason I timed one beat wrong, I couldn't work out how to edit it... well, I tried using draw mode but it was so tiny I couldn't see what I was drawing lol
Is there a zoom function?

Sorry again for all the questions
hover over the time line with your mouse...you will see it turn into a circle like magnifying glass....just click and drag up or down to zoom in or out
I have live 6 and I get get it to work right.

It will not play back anything that I have recorded - I can see what I`ve recorded but not hear it! I know I have my mic`s and outputs setup right because I can hear the test tone loud and clear.

And Ideas? What am I missing?
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
Click the 'back to arrangement' button and see if that changes anything.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
already in arrangement view.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
go in options preferencecs....and click audio tab. Then make sure you outputs aree activated. Test tone? not sue what you mean. In windows sound options? The dry mix monitor?
No, the 'back to arrangement' button, not the view switch button. Sometimes when that's engaged, it'll grey out everything in arrangement view for me, and idk why.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Page 1 of 3