Quote by Descendent-182
any tips? thanks...

Yes, DONT. They won't listen to them.

If you want to get heard by someone in the music business. Try and hook up with or get the email of an A+R man and send him MP3s of your songs by email. If you give him a cd he will put it in his glove compartment in his car and never look at it again.
Quote by griffRG7321
Yes, DONT. They won't listen to them.

If you want to get heard by someone in the music business. Try and hook up with or get the email of an A+R man and send him MP3s of your songs by email. If you give him a cd he will put it in his glove compartment in his car and never look at it again.

Coming from you experience of stalking the man after you gave him your CD?

I'd say send the CD's all you want. If i was a record company, i would be more likely to pass on an email with a song in it than a CD, as a CD is physical it means you would have to throw it in the bin yourself, and i dunno about you i like to check my CD's just before throwing them away as they might have something important on them, emails on the other hand are almost always unimportant so easily deleted.

Just email your songs,send the CD's and play gig's where you think record companies guys seem to go.

There's not much more you can do when you do all that, and really the costs wouldn't be too high on your side.
Last edited by Axe Samurai at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by Axe Samurai
Coming from you experience of stalking the man after you gave him your CD?

I'd say do send the CD, because i myself would be more likely to pass on an email with a song in it than a CD, because just before i throw it in the bin would be inclined just to see what is on it.

Just email your songs,send the CD's and play gig's where you think record companies guys seem to go.

There's not much more you can do when you do all that, and really the costs wouldn't be too high on your side.

An actual A+R man came into our college and talked with us for 2 hours about the music business.

And what was your experience?
Quote by griffRG7321
An actual A+R man came into our college and talked with us for 2 hours about the music business.

And what was your experience?

I have seen 2 local bands from here in Ireland grow reasonably big, one which has a cousin of mine in it, and he told me his band sent everything to anyone in order to get their record deal.

Which in the end they eventually did get, but i ain't sure which exact method is the reason they got it, but they have now been touring Germany for the last year and making there 2nd album (maybe 1st real one).

Also 1 A+R guy's word doesn't have to be taken as the bible, passing on Cd's and listening only to emails may have been his own personal preference. It doesn't mean everyone does that and i'm sure some companies still like getting demos.

So really why limit yourself and not just do everything like send CD's and emails. When the costs will actually be quite insignificant on your side like.
Last edited by Axe Samurai at Dec 22, 2009,
just do everything, but don't just limit it to record companies.

put a link to your song in every email, post you make (in the sig?) give a copy of the CD to every cafe/bar you go to and ask for them to listen to it and get in contact if there is a chance you can play there.

Send it into independant radio stations or any unsigned-music shows on commercial radio. Hand a few around school. After concerts give out your cd.

Get into a mosh pit and throw your cd around.

Hand it out at busy places like Train-stations or shopping strips. Train-stations are great, cause they can't get away from you if they're waiting for a train, you can plug in some head-phones and MAKE them listen to it. If they like it, give them a copy, or a sticker with your myspace on it.
DO NOT just send off CD's. Send out a press pack. Which is basically a folder with your band's biography, a history of gigs (along with how many people were there, etc.), newspaper clippings and/or internet articles about your band, CD's and DVD's (if you have em. CD's are pretty much required though), STUDIO PHOTOGRAPHS none of this "taken with a digital camera and printed out" bullshit, contact information, etc., etc. whatever else you see fit.

As another guy said do not just send off CD's. It may have worked in the 80's but now it will just get thrown in the trash. Also pull up the website for the labels you are sending off to. A lot of time it'll tell you on their site what all info to include.

Hope I helped, and best of luck to ya
best advice is to go to the labels web site. click contact link. usually there they give you details on how they want demos sent. some want a EPK sent to them others want a email with a link to your myspace and what not.

DON'T SEND TO MAJORS! they don't want your demo's.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
Quote by Axe Samurai
I have seen 2 local bands from here in Ireland grow reasonably big, one which has a cousin of mine in it, and he told me his band sent everything to anyone in order to get their record deal.

Which in the end they eventually did get, but i ain't sure which exact method is the reason they got it, but they have now been touring Germany for the last year and making there 2nd album (maybe 1st real one).

Also 1 A+R guy's word doesn't have to be taken as the bible, passing on Cd's and listening only to emails may have been his own personal preference. It doesn't mean everyone does that and i'm sure some companies still like getting demos.

So really why limit yourself and not just do everything like send CD's and emails. When the costs will actually be quite insignificant on your side like.

I'm studying music and industry studies in the south of Ireland and we were also told that directly sending your music will not work unless it is a small, indie label
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Don't just send a demo, make an EPK like everyone else has said. Make sure your details are on everything you send in, including on the CD. If an A & R person likes what they hear but don't know who it is, your CD goes straight in the bin. Put 3 songs on your demo, and be aware that the A & R person will most likely not listen to more than the first 30 seconds of each song.

Also as stated before, don't just stop at record companies. You will not get signed unless the record company is positive that you have a strong fan base and are able to sell records.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Don't just send a demo, make an EPK like everyone else has said. Make sure your details are on everything you send in, including on the CD. If an A & R person likes what they hear but don't know who it is, your CD goes straight in the bin. Put 3 songs on your demo, and be aware that the A & R person will most likely not listen to more than the first 30 seconds of each song.

Also as stated before, don't just stop at record companies. You will not get signed unless the record company is positive that you have a strong fan base and are able to sell records.

this is the reason Griff advised against sending your cd (or one of the reasons im sure) i'd say do it if you want to but don't limit yourself to that. in fact, i'd send it for the lulz but i wouldn't expect any kind of response at all and try every other avenue.