Hey all, basically im currently playing a Tokai LP through a Vox VT-30, which sounds pretty decent until i try a heavy palm muted riff or some such. The metal models on the amp arent terrible, but they arent great either. I cant afford a new amp (besides im very happy with the Vox), so im thinking of getting a good metal distortion pedal.

I cant really name any bands i want to sound like, because im not a huge metal fan, i just want the capability to play it. So the priority is a pedal thatll give me good heavy tones and will sound good through a VT...
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
Budget?
Willing to go used?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Damn knew i forgot something - budget is £100 maximum ($160?), and yeah ill go used...
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

Quote by barfrog
Damn knew i forgot something - budget is £100 maximum ($160?), and yeah ill go used...

Keeley and Analogman modded DS1s and MT2s are always a great choice, IMO. there's also the MXR Fullbore Metal (handy built in gate) and the ever popular Hardwire TL2 if you don't feel like having something shipped.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Hardwire TL2. end of conversation. Its a superb pedal.
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Jhachey22
Keeley and Analogman modded DS1s and MT2s are always a great choice, IMO. there's also the MXR Fullbore Metal (handy built in gate) and the ever popular Hardwire TL2 if you don't feel like having something shipped.

Agreed on the Analogman modded Boss suggestion, but I think the Tech 21 GT-2 and Barber Dirty Bomb would be better than the Fullbore Metal or TL2
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Agreed on the Analogman modded Boss suggestion, but I think the Tech 21 GT-2 and Barber Dirty Bomb would be better than the Fullbore Metal or TL2

well, i based those two suggestions off of availiability. because if your local guitar store doesn't carry Boss or MXR, you're going to have to get something shipped anyways.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Cheers for the replies guys. The TL2 sounds pretty amazing, im gonna try out as many of the ones youve suggested as i can though...

Again, thanks fellas!
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

I just picked up the Digitech Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion to go in front of my X100B combo and it sounds amazing If you're using a SS amp the TL-2 would probably work better for you but I really recommend checking them out. I tried the Boss SD-1 and DS-1 with my amp and spent a lot of time trying to find a good tone with no results (just refunds lol). AS SOON as I plugged the SC-2 into my board my jaw dropped. It sounded awesome right out of the box and after a few minutes of messing around with it I found my favorite setting and spent the rest of the evening jamming. A lot of people dog on Digitech but I've had so many of their pedals and I always get great results.

I honestly cannot find the justice in buying a turd like the DS-1 and then paying Bob Keeley $80 to polish it. I wanted to buy something that sounds good on its own, not something I have to MAKE sound good.
Quote by almost_normal
I just picked up the Digitech Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion to go in front of my X100B combo and it sounds amazing If you're using a SS amp the TL-2 would probably work better for you but I really recommend checking them out. I tried the Boss SD-1 and DS-1 with my amp and spent a lot of time trying to find a good tone with no results (just refunds lol). AS SOON as I plugged the SC-2 into my board my jaw dropped. It sounded awesome right out of the box and after a few minutes of messing around with it I found my favorite setting and spent the rest of the evening jamming. A lot of people dog on Digitech but I've had so many of their pedals and I always get great results.

I honestly cannot find the justice in buying a turd like the DS-1 and then paying Bob Keeley $80 to polish it. I wanted to buy something that sounds good on its own, not something I have to MAKE sound good.

most people don't run out and get a pedal to get modded, they get a pedal they already have modded. personally, the Keeley and Analogman DS1 and MT2s kick sound much better than the Hardwire.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
TL-2s are built like tanks and sound amazing. I'm also a fan of the MXR Fullbore. Avoid the Line 6 Uber Metal like the plague though, unless you want thin reedy "INSANE" or "PULVERIZING" "tones".
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Hardwire TL-2. Great pedal and it has ALOT of versatility (for metal tones anyway)
Avoid the boss MT-2 unless its modded.
And check out the Barber Dirty Bomb also.
Personally I didnt like the MXR full bore metal.
It sounded pretty nasaly to me.
Like its to much...
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
Quote by Jhachey22
most people don't run out and get a pedal to get modded, they get a pedal they already have modded. personally, the Keeley and Analogman DS1 and MT2s kick sound much better than the Hardwire.

K so $129 direct vs $79 at GC...lol just bustin your balls...

My point really is that I can't understand why Boss would market a pedal that obviously needs improvement. I've never heard of someone using the DS-1 stock. I guess I knew what was gonna happen but I wanted to give Boss the benefit of the doubt.

I think that when considering cost vs benefit the Hardwire is worth it for a stock pedal especially if you can't spring for the modded stuff. Its just a good, solid pedal.

Give Digitech a chance *holds up a picket sign*
Quote by almost_normal
K so $129 direct vs $79 at GC...lol just bustin your balls...

My point really is that I can't understand why Boss would market a pedal that obviously needs improvement. I've never heard of someone using the DS-1 stock. I guess I knew what was gonna happen but I wanted to give Boss the benefit of the doubt.

I think that when considering cost vs benefit the Hardwire is worth it for a stock pedal especially if you can't spring for the modded stuff. Its just a good, solid pedal.
the new ones anyways
Give Digitech a chance *holds up a picket sign*

oh, dude, yeah. Stock, the Hardwire beats the DS1 hands down. well, the new ones anyways.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater