I'm looking for some new equipment, and I'm saving up. I want good stuff that will for sure would be worth it in the long run. I play rock, punk, ska, and early heavy metal. My favorite bands are definitely Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Guns n Roses, Social Distortion, Tenacious D, early Green Day, Bad Religion, Goldfinger, Streetlight Manifesto, The Ramones, that kinda stuff.

I hope by the beginning of September next year to have like $2000 saved up for a new guitar and amp.

What kind of stuff should I look at, I played some of the Gibson Les Paul Studios, and honestly wasn't to happy with them. I also played some more expensive Les Pauls, but they're out of my price range. What specifically should I look at?

And I also am looking for an amp. I have a crappy Marshall MG right now, so I'd be happy with anything. I'm looking maybe for a tube amp, cause I want that nice STRONG distortion. Any suggestions?
Also, just so y'all know, right no I have 2 guitars. Planning to sell them by the time I'm ready to get a new one. A Dean V and a BC Rich. I have a Marshall MG 30 watt, and a Digitech multi effects. So, I'd love to get rid of those, and give them a new home. They were fine beginner stuff, but I'm getting better, and really want an easy to play guitar, with great tone and definitely a better amp.
Les paul studio and then an egnater combo or marshall combo. Alternatively a mexican Fender and a used stack
if I had it my way, I'd have a '59 les paul custom right now, with a marshal jcm800 halfstack.
with 2 grand???? plus w/e you sell that stuff for... i'd say get an ibanez.. but a few questions first... to make it easier..

guitar pref:

shape?
wood?
passive or active pickups
floyd or fixed bridge
neck through/set neck/bolted on
thin/thick neck?

Amp:
Gigging?
Modelling?

Right of the bat.. i'd recommend you and ibanez of some sort.. or maybe a esp/ltd WITHOUT active pickups.... as active pickups wouldn't suit your style of music.

for an amp, I'd say maybe a marshall of some sort, maybe a jcm or dsl half stack or combo..

BTW, what do you mean by strong distortion... like chugging distortion for those deep heavy palm mutes?
shape? something simple. nothing to overwehlming. i got over that.
wood? i have no clue. i'd have to look into that.
passive or active pickups? passive.
floyd or fixed bridge? i'm more comfprtable with a fixed bridge.
neck through/set neck/bolted on? probably set on
thin/thick neck? thin.
Amp:
Gigging? no. not yet, but i'm in a band. so, something not too huge.
Modelling? no. i just want some real tone. nothing digital. nothing copying. just some real legit sound.
strong distortion... if you heard the Marshall MG models, the distortion on that is what I'd call weak. So, pretty much the opposite of that.
I Was in your situation about A year ago mate lol
I went for the Gibson les paul studio. took me a age to save up for but ive got one in alpine white and i think it's the tits.
If you think that there not all that maybe you should look at a mexican fender strat or tele. They have a very good range and are durrable enough for you to use for almost any kind of music :P

As for a amp if your budget is 2,000 then the kind of guitars you are going top be looking at are going to dominate that budget. But if you decide to go for a less money demanding guitar then you have many options here :P
The obvious one would be to go for a bigger marshall ( Bigger is allways better ) but if that dosent tickle you fancy then you can go out side the box :P.
The company Orange make ****ing amazing amps, The only thing that i would most definatly say is don't go for a amp because it's got stupid amounts of effects or any hing. I made the mistake of getting one of the new line 6 Spider III and it is stirdy and works but gives off a shitty electric sound and really dosent give you enough feeling that a tube amp would.
When you come to buying it ask them to try it and really take advantage and try it for as long as you want because it's still alott of money to be spending on a guitar or / and amp

Good makes for amps :
Marshall
Lanely
Peavy ( if you get a good one )
Orange

There just a few. I hope that This inspires you to get looking more spacifficly and helps you find what you want :P

Ryan x
As far as the marshalls go, i think the ones i'd want to look at are out of my range, unless if i look at 'em used, but who knows? and i don't think many of the orange amps have the versatility i'm looking for.
i know what you mean. This will sound stupid now but have a look at the line 6 'Spider' Range they give you a lotts of every thing just there not ' AMAZING' as i would hope. Maybe your looking for a amp that would give you lotts of sounds you would be better of buying a big cheap amp and buying Good effects pedals.
but that wont have the true tone. i think i'm best off to go to a store, and try a few amps out and see if im happy.
here.. since your in a band imma show yeh this

Burgera 1990 classic 120w tube
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bugera-1990-Classic-120W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=502589

with an avatar cab.. i couldn't get the link atm because the web won't load for me
I just looked up reviews for that, and it doesnt seem like a very reliable amp. but for 500 bucks, something that can compare to the JCM900, not bad. i better find out more though, just incase.
look at this guitar:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-American-Special-Mahogany-HSS-Stratocaster-102807864-i1168160.gc

It's a little expensive, but it is extremely versatile, and it is a Fender, no mistakes there, and if you'll have $2000, you will be able to get it.

Oh, and after spending $1600, you'd say you will never be able to get a good amp, but here comes the good ol' Peavey making good amps (tube) for a nice price:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp-104003397-i1145634.gc

Nice tube amp, 50w, enough for practice, rehearsals, and maybe some gigs, and for a very reasonable price.
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
that seems like a real nice strat. and i've heard mostly good things about the valveking, but i oughta check it out myself.
if you want that Mike Ness tone(from Social Distortion) you would need to go the fender amp route. Mike uses 60s/70s Fender Bassman Heads, modified by Billy Zoom, running to 4x10 cabs he uses a Boss SD1 super Overdrive pedal to boost the amp a bit. on rare occassions he runs a old Marshall jtm45 and a JCM800. his main guitar is a Les Paul with P90s on it
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
get a jcm 900 all the way and if u your looking for a guitar p90's are the sexiest pickups alive happy hunting
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
I'm definitely leaning towards a nice Les Paul, probably with humbuckers. I do like like Mike Ness's tone with the P-90's but I think humbuckers would be more versatile. I'm looking to see if I could find any good deals on a used Standard. My second choice would probably be an RG550, used of course, or a new prestige which I was considering for a long time, but I'm not sure if I want a guitar with a whammy or not.

For amps, I'm thinking about versatility and tone. Something that could have some nice cleans, a nice crunchy tone, and a driving lead. I'm thinking about the JCM900, and it seems reliable from what i've heard. Did they ever make a combo version of it?
Quote by zillafan74
I'm definitely leaning towards a nice Les Paul, probably with humbuckers. I do like like Mike Ness's tone with the P-90's but I think humbuckers would be more versatile. I'm looking to see if I could find any good deals on a used Standard. My second choice would probably be an RG550, used of course, or a new prestige which I was considering for a long time, but I'm not sure if I want a guitar with a whammy or not.

For amps, I'm thinking about versatility and tone. Something that could have some nice cleans, a nice crunchy tone, and a driving lead. I'm thinking about the JCM900, and it seems reliable from what i've heard. Did they ever make a combo version of it?

yes they did make combo versions of the jcm series, also p-90's are amazingly versatile and bring back the raw punchy sound of rock and roll you know stuff like the clash back in the days if you Are a bit adventurous u should do what i am planning on doing get a custom warmoth body and neck built to your liking with p90 slots if u want and add in everything else that is probably the closest we are ever going to get to our "dream" guitar.The a rg is amazing too i am also fond of them thanks to pennywise and dexter holland but you know what they saw after you play a p90 nothing else sounds adequate.
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112
Would I be able to get the sounds I want out of an SG. I'd definitely be able to get the Sabbath styled stuff, but would I be better off with a Les Paul for the type of music i play?
Quote by zillafan74
Would I be able to get the sounds I want out of an SG. I'd definitely be able to get the Sabbath styled stuff, but would I be better off with a Les Paul for the type of music i play?

you could definitely get all the sounds you want out of an sg . sg's are more powerfully with distortion but have a bit of a tied down clean sound but in the end i would suggest going to a guitar store comparing them and you'll find out whats for your .
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112
SG's feel and sound a little different id say, its just going to be down to trying them but they are very nice guitars.

Im suprised nobody has suggested an ENGL Yet, you could try and get a used ENGL Screamer combo. ENGL make very versatile amps, i can play ZZ Top, early Rainbow, Whitesnake all the way up to Metallica, Megadeth, and the doom stuff i play with my band on my ENGL, it really does do everything and it does it well.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_screamer_50_roehrencombo_e330.htm

not too big either and weighs only 20kg which is less than my head weighs on its own!

If you want a nice big sound like a les paul but dont want the weight either and something a bit easier to play try out a fixed bridge mahogany Ibanez like an RG or an SA/SZ or if you do want a trem you could look at the S series. Great guitars.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Try looking at the new Marshall MA series with a good Tubescreamer pedal for a boos. I played them the other day, and you can get lovely bell like cleans out of it and exceptional overdrive.

It wont get into heavy metal terrorotroy on its own but I tired it out with a Tubescreamer and I got this lovely tight metal tone.
A Les Paul sounds like it would be your best bet. Keep trying studios you might come across one you like. Look at used Gibson Les Pauls you can find some nice Customs, Standards and Classics fairly cheap these days. I have played several just before Christmas all around the $1000.00 mark give or take $200 but that was before I would have negotiated the price. An SG would be a good second choice pretty close to an LP in tone but very different in feel. Really I think you should consider an Epiphone LP go try them out you'll really be surprised. The new Epi 59 Les Paul tribute is very nice and has a set of Gibson USA 57 Classic pups. The guitar sounds amazing and it's priced under 1000 bucks. My only complaint is the neck is too thick for me but probably perfect for some.

As far as AMPs go you need to try several out to see what you like. I prefer a SS modeling now a days they are more versatile IMHO. I can mold tone to almost imitate everything else out there. If you want a tube AMP Marshalls do make some of the best but there are less expensive tube AMPs out there you should consider, again you need to try them out and with the guitar you plan on buying.

John
As far as amps go, i'd get a marshall JCM or if money is an issue a Bugera 1990 for the bands you listed. Guitarwise, a les paul of some sorts seems fitting that or maybe a HSS strat
For those bands, a Marshall JCM looks like your best bet. MAYBE a Dual Rectifier if that's your thing.

As for guitar.... Through a nice tube amp, any guitar (within a price range) with the same pickups isn't going to sound too much different. If you don't like the feel of Les Pauls, don't get one. There are many MANY alternatives.