Hi UG,

I've recently stumbled upon a nice ad for a 2nd hand Peavey JSX Combo. The price I'd be paying is about 800€, and the amp is in good condition. The retail price is around 1800€ over here.

However, I currently have an AVT275X, and even with this one I'm breaking my back every time I'm trying to move it. The Peavey is 38kg, while the marshall is 28kg, so things would only get worse. Add to this, the fact that we have a spiral staircase... You get the idea.

My idea - whilst probably crazy - is to turn the Peavey JSX combo into a rack unit. I'd build a new cab for the speakers (probably just mod the one it comes with though), and make a custom 2 or 3U rack case for the peavey guts, depending on the size.
This way, I'd be able to split the weight into two unit (cab & rack 'head'), plus the rack would be more easily carryable sizewise.

The obvious problem with this idea is, of course, the specified dimensions. The width of the combo is 26.625" (inch). Vastly more than a 19" rack unit. Slightly more than a 23" rack unit, considering the thickness of the wood.

My question to you: does anyone in here have a JSX 120W Combo, who is willing to take some measurements? (of the circuitboards, if at all possible)
Or is anyone able to find pics of the circuit boards?

Help would be greatly appreciated Such a nice opportunity to get rid of this marshall and get a nice tone monster.

Sander.

(PS: I moved the last thread to here, sorry about your post, Koshman32)
Last edited by sanderd at Dec 22, 2009,
Gee, why's my mind twisted...

The more obvious option would, of course, be to make a plywood+tolex head and put the amp in there.
However, then you'll end up with either a reverse head (tubes below amp), or a reverse faceplate. Would it be easy to rewire the pots? (given that I'm not an ass-hat touching the transformers & caps with a pair of scissors)
Quote by sanderd
Hi UG,

... My question to you: does anyone in here have a JSX 120W Combo, who is willing to take some measurements?
Or is anyone able to find pics of the circuit boards?
26-1/2"W x 20-1/2"H x 11"D

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-JSX-212-Joe-Satriani-Combo-Amp-104003124-i1145633.gc

Ippon: thanks for the link & dimensions. However, those are the dimensions of the amp as a whole.
I probably should've specified it better in my first post: I'm looking for dimensions of the circuitboard itself, to find out whether or not it'd fit in a 19" / 23" rack unit.

Sander
Not sure on your amp, but I plan on doing this with my Vox sometime over the holidays. I'm going to keep the original case and build a new one from scratch for the cab and the head. That way if I resell it and I want it back as a combo, I can just plop it back in and poof. I only play in my room though, I have my amp at ear level when I sit along with my monitors, and I HATE having the knobs on the amp at the top where I can't see them, so I want a head and cab out of it.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Thanks for the replies.
I think I'll just skip the new amp idea for now, although I've been wanting to buy a tube amp since 2-3 years now. Then again, it's my finals year now. I probably should just get a job afterwards and buy the actual thing: JSX Head
Well the heads not going to fit into a rackspace anyways, so if this is a good deal, go for it. lol.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3