Page 1 of 4
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/12/22/uk.priest.sermon.shoplift/index.html

What does the Pit think of this? I personally agree. Mom and pop stores that rely on the income to live should not be stolen from, but taking stuff from big businesses is OK with me for some reason. They screw so many people over, feels kinda like pay back. Discuss.

EDIT: For those of you who are too lazy to click the link, basically this priest says that stealing from a large corporation is OK if you're completely out of other alternatives.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Last edited by MyNameIsLame at Dec 22, 2009,
He's not really advocating theft. He's saying that stealing is never ok, but if there's no other option, then stealing from a large corporation is the option that does the least direct harm, which I guess I could agree with.

OR we could do something to help the homeless get jobs so they don't have to steal, but that's just a naive fantasy of mine.
Quote by sashki
Would you steal a hobo's cardboard box and coat?

What use could I possibly have for a cardboard box?
Quote by metalh3ad88
Honestly, stealing is from anywhere is absolutely okay as long as you don't get caught.

Right...

...let's see where that mindset gets you in ten years.
Quote by Zaphikh
Right...

...let's see where that mindset gets you in ten years.

I don't steal anything, because there's too much of a risk of being arrested.
Stealing is wrong. Period. (According to Christianity)

He's saying if you have to steal, steal from big companies. It's sort of like what sex ed has done. It's gone from "don't have sex before marriage" to "if you're gonna do it, use protection."
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Dec 22, 2009,
A lot of people really seem to be missing the point he's trying to make. I've heard him being called a lunatic, an idiot... but he's completely right. Burglaries and muggings affect individuals, whilst shoplifting only minutely harms a large corporation. If the homeless and the poor are not helped as they should be, then they need to survive somehow. As long as they only take what they need, I think I'm ok with it.
Quote by Zaphikh
If it isn't yours, don't touch it. Simple as that.

Am I the only one who thought dirty things after reading this?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by metalh3ad88
Honestly, stealing is from anywhere is absolutely okay as long as you don't get caught.

Then it becomes cool.

But seriously, stealing is a really good way to get stuff. I approve.
Stealing may be a crime but a crime is just the violation of a set rule you abide to because someone told you from birth that you have to.
Gear:

Les Paul Standard
Triple XXX with Marshall 1960B Cab
V-amp 2
Digitech WH-4
Ibanez WD7
Quote by Venice King
Am I the only one who thought dirty things after reading this?

>.>

<.<
Quote by metalh3ad88
I don't steal anything, because there's too much of a risk of being arrested.

a coward and a douche? what an unusual combination

you could never steal anything, but you're still a horrible person for thinking like that.

stealing is only ok if you steal to survive, not because you won't get caught or because you want a new ipod
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Stealing is wrong no matter who your taking from. I'm sick of people hating big businesses. Too ****ing bad most mom and pop stores don't have the shit I need. I like buying from big businesses because they usually are cheaper as well.

This doesn't mean I hate small businesses. Pizza from independent restaurants are the best.
Quote by sticksause
Stealing is wrong no matter who your taking from. I'm sick of people hating big businesses. Too ****ing bad most mom and pop stores don't have the shit I need. I like buying from big businesses because they usually are cheaper as well.

This doesn't mean I hate small businesses. Pizza from independent restaurants are the best.

Mom and pop stores are more affected economically if you steal one item as compared to a large corporation, which is why the priest is saying "don't steal, but if you have to, steal from the big guys, not the little guys"
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by Mostly Harmless
Stealing may be a crime but a crime is just the violation of a set rule you abide to because someone told you from birth that you have to.

Mostly Harmless: What a beautiful day. I think I'll put my clothes on.
Thugsters: Not so fast ruffian, we're taking these clothes.
Mostly Harmless: What?! Why, they're mine!
Thug One: Schmee, schmee... kid we need these more than you do!
Thug Two: Yeah punk, and don't you know that this isn't wrong?
Thug Three: Yeah see, yeah! We're only just violating a set of rules that somebody told you from birth to have, so relax eh?
Mostly Harmless: Hey. That makes logical sense. I guess I don't have a say in the matter then. Alright. Take all you need guys. Thanks!
Thugsters: Now scram kiddo.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Mom and pop stores are more affected economically if you steal one item as compared to a large corporation, which is why the priest is saying "don't steal, but if you have to, steal from the big guys, not the little guys"

I understand what the priest is saying, and I agree. I was just talking about how most people act like big corporations are terrible. A lot (note: a lot, not all) of big businesses started off small. They grew because their product was good. A lot of small businesses die because they suck.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
a coward and a douche? what an unusual combination

you could never steal anything, but you're still a horrible person for thinking like that.

stealing is only ok if you steal to survive, not because you won't get caught or because you want a new ipod

Oh, I've stolen many things, I've just realized it's too risky. But good use of personal insults to get your points across, it makes you seem very intelligent. All I was saying is that stealing is not wrong because morality does not exist. What makes the person that I am stealing from own that thing in the first place? If I decide it is rightfully mine, how can you prove me wrong? You can't. You have to resort to petty insults. Good job, bud.
Quote by metalh3ad88
Oh, I've stolen many things, I've just realized it's too risky. But good use of personal insults to get your points across, it makes you seem very intelligent. All I was saying is that stealing is not wrong because morality does not exist. What makes the person that I am stealing from own that thing in the first place? If I decide it is rightfully mine, how can you prove me wrong? You can't. You have to resort to petty insults. Good job, bud.

I'll go over to your house and steal your virginity and see how you like it.
Quote by metalh3ad88
Oh, I've stolen many things, I've just realized it's too risky. But good use of personal insults to get your points across, it makes you seem very intelligent.

So far, you haven't done anything to redeem yourself and the insults still apply.

Quote by metalh3ad88
All I was saying is that stealing is not wrong because morality does not exist.

You weren't saying that, not until now.
Quote by metalh3ad88

What makes the person that I am stealing from own that thing in the first place?

That person either

1 produced it
2 bought it
3 traded for it
4 received it as a gift

Quote by metalh3ad88
If I decide it is rightfully mine, how can you prove me wrong? You can't. You have to resort to petty insults. Good job, bud.

Did you produce it?

Did you pay for it?

Did you trade for it?

Was it stolen from you?

Was it owed to to you?

If none of these is true, it doesn't belong to you and isn't rightfully yours.

Now, you don't believe in objective morality. You don't believe it's wrong to steal, but I do. So as far as I'm concerned you are a cowardly douche according to subjective moral values and beliefs. I proved you wrong in my moral sphere.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by guitaruboy
a bitchin fort with canopy

That was a wonderful reply, I enjoyed it greatly. Thank you

Anyway, I read it and see where he is coming from, and pretty much agree with what he's saying.
If you're dying in the streets, go steal from Walmart!

EDIT: The guy above me^ You pretty much win that argument... just sayin.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Last edited by floppypick at Dec 22, 2009,
Ah, but I couldn't possibly care less about your moral sphere. So go away.
Last edited by metalh3ad88 at Dec 22, 2009,
When I worked fast food, (KFC)I would would wait for the food to be done before i took money then I would take the money and then another employee would hand out the food and say "have a nice day" and then they would drive off and forget their change, it worked every time. We would then split the change between her and myself. We made so much money from this. But one time a old lady pulled up with a fifty and a breathing thing, and then I felt real bad so I gave her the change and never ****ed anyone out of their money again.

But I would feel bad stealing from walmart or anything.
Quote by metalh3ad88

PRISON

sound convincing enough for ya? bud?
Quote by Ledforthehead
When I worked fast food, (KFC)I would would wait for the food to be done before i took money then I would take the money and then another employee would hand out the food and say "have a nice day" and then they would drive off and forget their change, it worked every time. We would then split the change between her and myself. We made so much money from this. But one time a old lady pulled up with a fifty and a breathing thing, and then I felt real bad so I gave her the change and never ****ed anyone out of their money again.

But I would feel bad stealing from walmart or anything.

Did anyone ever ask for their change?
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by Zaphikh
PRISON

sound convincing enough for ya? bud?

So you're saying that you believe all of the laws in our country are correct? That we should base our morality on the laws we live by? That, my friend, is how totalitarian states begin. If that wasn't what you were implying, then I already stated that I don't steal anymore because it's too risky. Good try though.
I wouldn't generally steal from anywhere.
However, although I couldn't be bothered doing it, I have little moral objection to someone stealing from a company who have no respect for the rights of their workers. If they don't respect workers' rights then why should I respect theirs'?
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by metalh3ad88
So your saying that you believe all of the laws in our country are correct? That we should base our morality on the laws we live by? That, my friend, is how totalitarian states begin. If that wasn't what you were implying, then I already stated that I don't steal anymore because it's too risky. Good try though.

No, we're just saying that theft laws should be fallowed.

You have to keep in mind that we have laws to live as peaceful as possible.
No laws = anarchy. Anarchy and idiots don't mix.
Quote by sticksause

No laws = anarchy.

No. Anarchy is the absence of rulers, not the absence of laws.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by metalh3ad88

This kids nothing but a dumb shit, a classic UGer, a kid who brags about how "thug" and "punk" he is on the internet. Hell his username is even in l33t. I doubt he ever did anything wrong. I have a friend named Jaye "Bird" and he's a real thug, My own Biology teacher described him as "the Godfather of Shawnee Mission West", Jaye is a criminal, but he at least admits that what he's doing is a crime, he doesnt make up Bull shit about how the money he took is "rightfully" his or how its ok because morality doesnt exist. Grow some balls son.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Dec 22, 2009,
I think most people would have no moral objections to people stealing to feed their starving families ect. It's just hard to draw the line of what is life and death, and what is greed.
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
Quote by metalh3ad88
So you're saying that you believe all of the laws in our country are correct?

Where the hell did I even say such a thing? You're assuming too much - and the only one looking like an ass if you my friend.
Quote by metalh3ad88
That we should base our morality on the laws we live by?

You asked how I (anybody reading) could prove you wrong on your outlandish statements. I simply answered with "prison". Clear-cut and dry answer for a simple question. In your question of "how" you never mentioned morality.
Quote by metalh3ad88
That, my friend, is how totalitarian states begin.

Because somebody stole and went to prison for it?
Go back to school and brush up on your history mate.
Quote by sticksause
No, we're just saying that theft laws should be fallowed.

You have to keep in mind that we have laws to live as peaceful as possible.
No laws = anarchy. Anarchy and idiots don't mix.

That's what you don't realize; we DON'T HAVE TO FOLLOW LAWS. If you choose to break a law, you should understand the consequences if you happen to get caught. But that doesn't mean you should have to follow a law just because it is a law. Too many people base their morality on what the government tells them is right.
Quote by Zaphikh
Where the hell did I even say such a thing? You're assuming too much - and the only one looking like an ass if you my friend.

You asked how I (anybody reading) could prove you wrong on your outlandish statements. I simply answered with "prison". Clear-cut and dry answer for a simple question. In your question of "how" you never mentioned morality.

Because somebody stole and went to prison for it?
Go back to school and brush up on your history mate.

So how in any way does prison prove my statements wrong? You are the one who is not making sense sir.
Quote by metalh3ad88
So how in any way does prison prove my statements wrong? You are the one who is not making sense sir.

I was not proving or disproving. Not everything on UG is a prove/disprove fight-to-the-finish brawl. You asked "how". I gave an answer. An answer you didn't like and began assuming my position on social politics. Grow up.
Page 1 of 4