Page 1 of 2
I was going to buy a Zakk Wylde BFG earlier on today, then I noticed something wrong in the headstock it looked as it said "Gibsun", I came to terms with it, and acknowledged that it's probably minor and is not fake, since I've seen a few similar headstocks in official Gibson supplier shops. Anyway, the name that was in the photos in small print differed from the of the person selling the guitar, that gave me some suspicion, I googled his name and I came up with the website 'http://www.(I've censored it).com/'. I searched around and saw Gibsons at ridiculously low prices and like any sane person, it was obvious that they were illegal copies.

Someone's gone ahead and bought that guitar, for about half the price of a normal BFG, despite it clearly being a fake. Nobody is being informed whether these are copies or not, but considering they're being shipped straight from China, and go for about 200-400 USD each, there's about 99.99% chance that they're copies, even on some websites such as eBay people have decided to sell it for considerably higher and pass it off as a real Gibson. They've done a pretty good job at passing them off as real Gibson's as about 80% of their LP's are completely identical. http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5089/gibson4.png

Right, to the point, I basically made this thread to give people a heads up and ask whether this is legal or not, if this isn't, I really think somebody should be reporting this to Gibson and all the other clothing brands and such they've been ripping off.
Last edited by J.Simpson at Dec 22, 2009,
Most of the people here are well aware of that website, never buy from them.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
it's not legal, and they're already being reported etc. etc.. If i were you, i'd take the link out of your post (not the imageshack one, the other one). Just so we know that you're asking a valid question and aren't actually sneakily advertising.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I just wanted to see whether something was going to be done about this sight, because it's god damn ridiculous. I'm so glad I did my research, and I praise Jesus for this, I would have been extremely gutted if a years worth of savings was spent on something non legit. There's no doubt that there's more of these lurking about on eBay for over a grand.
yeah, it sucks. it's one thing not buying a gibson if you prefer gibson's competitors' guitars- for example, I like japanese copies like Tokai, but they put their own brand names on the headstock, they're not trying to fool you into thinking it's a gibson. It's quite another to think you're buying a gibson, only to be ripped off with a low quality fake, especially if you're paying a price which is comparable to real gibsons.

Thanks for removing the link, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is the CoA in the picture printed on regular printer paper? It looks like it was.

(btw: CoA = Certificate of Authenticity)

Edit: Upon closer inspection, it actually looks like the water from the sunset wallpaper that came on windows XP.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Last edited by Scutchington at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, it sucks. it's one thing not buying a gibson if you prefer gibson's competitors' guitars- for example, I like japanese copies like Tokai, but they put their own brand names on the headstock, they're not trying to fool you into thinking it's a gibson. It's quite another to think you're buying a gibson, only to be ripped off with a low quality fake, especially if you're paying a price which is comparable to real gibsons.

Yeah, I know. I'll give them one thing, their finishes are nice and believable, but their guitars probably play horribly. I'm just really worrying about other people to be honest, because you could get something much better for an efficient price. That's the only problem with purchasing Gibsons these days, you can get new ones which are very high, or you can get used ones which are at exceptional prices but you just don't know whether they're real or fake.

It's really shook me up, I also bought a used SG off of eBay, I'm now wondering if it's real or fake. Seriously, Gibson need some kind of system where they can tab official guitars and such, official certificates/barcodes maybe? Like I said, this is getting me paranoid .
How does anyone fall for those? The body isn't long enough, the cutaway is too shallow, and the tuners are down at least a quarter-inch from where they should be. Also, the truss rod cover is completely wrong. I looked at one of his SGs. The horn cutaways were completely off, and the truss rod cover had three screws. Authentic Gibsons only use two, and the cover's shape was also wrong.

Quote by J.Simpson
It's really shook me up, I also bought a used SG off of eBay, I'm now wondering if it's real or fake.

Post pictures of the SG. I can determine that for you
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Dec 22, 2009,
D00d! I just ordered 5 of these! Thanks for telling me about them, now Ive got 5 great guitars on the way for the price of 1
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
D00d! I just ordered 5 of these! Thanks for telling me about them, now Ive got 5 great guitars on the way for the price of 1

You had better be kidding
im pretty sure the lp customs come with ebony fretboards and that is clearly rosewood
GEAR

1966 MUSTANG

valveking 112

markley tuner
Ernie Ball Wah
digitech whammy
fulltone ocd
usa big muff
boss dd7
boss rc-2

Quote by simpleben09
You sir have a mean ass rig. Have a great day.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']How does anyone fall for those? The body isn't long enough, the cutaway is too shallow, and the tuners are down at least a quarter-inch from where they should be. Also, the truss rod cover is completely wrong. I looked at one of his SGs. The horn cutaways were completely off, and the truss rod cover had three screws. Authentic Gibsons only use two, and the cover's shape was also wrong.

Post pictures of the SG. I can determine that for you

Well some people don't know as much about guitars as u do like me for example i have no idea about anything u just described i just know how to play guitar.lol But yea i can't believe companies do that but they must fool some people seeing is that there still doing it
It's astonishing how you guys can identify what is real and what is fake prior just the body. I know enough about guitars to identify what is fake and what is real, but I thought that was quite a good job at a copy, but anyway, the bloody Chinese market are going to rob some more people off now I suppose.

Btw, here's the picture of the SG, I've never owned an SG so I can't really identify that much apart from Pickups on a Special, the Headstock and the Truss Rod cover. I've been provided with a serial number and as for the logo which isn't very visible in the picture, the seller said that there is a Gibson logo at the top. He can't really verify anything more, since he apparently doesn't know much about guitars, but if I identify a fault in the guitar which proves that it's counterfeit, I have all of his details.

Here's the picture (if anyone could identify whether it is real/fake, I'd be a happy bunny)

Quote by JAHellraiser

I should b*tchslap you! You just bought 5 cheapy-made, crappy-ass copies on the way? Don't be surprised if they break down constantly, and the company a has no refund policy.
Quote by J.Simpson
It's astonishing how you guys can identify what is real and what is fake prior just the body. I know enough about guitars to identify what is fake and what is real, but I thought that was quite a good job at a copy, but anyway, the bloody Chinese market are going to rob some more people off now I suppose.

Btw, here's the picture of the SG, I've never owned an SG so I can't really identify that much apart from Pickups on a Special, the Headstock and the Truss Rod cover. I've been provided with a serial number and as for the logo which isn't very visible in the picture, the seller said that there is a Gibson logo at the top. He can't really verify anything more, since he apparently doesn't know much about guitars, but if I identify a fault in the guitar which proves that it's counterfeit, I have all of his details.

Here's the picture (if anyone could identify whether it is real/fake, I'd be a happy bunny)

Isn't the Gibson logo at the top of the headstock ALWAYS in gold lettering, clear enough to see in such a picture? CUz all I see is faint, unreadable black lettering. That doesn't look good for authenticity.
Also, as consecutive e said, what's the serial no.?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by J.Simpson

Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
June 9th, 2004
Production Number: 310

Just because that checks out it doesn't mean it's real, easy enough to fake a serial.

Just by looking at that pic, it looks O.K, try and get some more detailed pictures though.

Quote by zillafan74
who would make a fake epiphone? even dumber, who would BUY a fake epiphone? And definitely, who the hell would pay 1.5 grand for i?

The Epi ZW models are about that retail here, but definetly not second hand, and they'd fake epiphone because it's a well known brand that people recognise and have somewhat of a good reputation. Obviously the person buying it isn't meant to know it's fake.
Last edited by consecutive e at Dec 23, 2009,
Thinking about the site, its not a complete rip-off, its safe (paypal), your gonna get a guitar (example: Ibanez Jem 7v) and for a fraction of the real price ($200) so even if a screw is in the wrong place or the truss rod cover is wrong, does it matter?

Your still getting a sexy guitar which you can easily change pickups/trem on and make it worthwhile.

Im about to be massively flamed

Edit:

This guy gets my point

"Looks cool but some finishing issues at first sight.

Once disassembled... There is a whole swimming pool under the pickguard that produces lots of undesired feedback, the pickups are absolutely crapy, the body is made of poor quality balsa wood, you could cut the body in two halves with a knife!! even the wood was cracked around the bridge posts due to its low hardness. The neck is pretty well finished but it doesn´t have carbon fibre reinforcements that are mandatory in such a thin neck so the truss rod is not enough for improving the strength.

After changing the pickups and doing some reinforcements the guitar sounds good enough. Nothing to complain at such a price, just be carefull if you hang it by the monkey grip "
ESP LTD EC-401 White - EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG420CM

Blackstar HT-5

Artec Classic Fuzztown
Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff
Last edited by Syn Yule at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by Syn Yule
Thinking about the site, its not a complete rip-off, its safe (paypal), your gonna get a guitar (example: Ibanez Jem 7v) and for a fraction of the real price ($200) so even if a screw is in the wrong place or the truss rod cover is wrong, does it matter?

Your still getting a sexy guitar which you can easily change pickups/trem on and make it worthwhile.

Edit:

This guy gets my point

Once disassembled... There is a whole swimming pool under the pickguard that produces lots of undesired feedback, the pickups are absolutely crapy, the body is made of poor quality balsa wood, you could cut the body in two halves with a knife!! even the wood was cracked around the bridge posts due to its low hardness. The neck is pretty well finished but it doesn´t have carbon fibre reinforcements that are mandatory in such a thin neck so the truss rod is not enough for improving the strength.

After changing the pickups and doing some reinforcements the guitar sounds good enough. Nothing to complain at such a price, just be carefull if you hang it by the monkey grip "

You could do alot better than that apparent piece of absolute shit for $200.
Quote by Syn Yule

Edit:

This guy gets my point

The guitar was made of balsa wood?!?

From that description, there is way better things to do with your time/money than make a absolutely terrible guitar just okay.
BTW, that SG that was posted was definitely legit.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
BTW, that SG that was posted was definitely legit.

Yeah. It looked a little odd with a gold Gibson logo, but it's good.

It looks odd because mine was a pearloid inlay

Body looks right, truss rod cover, body shape, details. Everything looks in order, friend
No-one else found it funny that they put a maple leaf on Gibson, a pure American companies hard case?
Quote by Dave_Mc

pretty OT but hi five to another tokai fan

glad you didnt buy the guitar in the end man
Quote by Hysteria25
No-one else found it funny that they put a maple leaf on Gibson, a pure American companies hard case?

Mine has a Maple Leaf on it is because the case is made of Canadian Maple.
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
"we are elecdtric guitars seller,have many guitars in stock,welcome to cooperate with us,best quality best price best service will let you feel great."

Even sounds like a poor china man trying to scam someone. How anyone could fall for this, I'll never know.
Quote by SlayingDragons
"best quality best price best service will let you feel great."

IMO that sounds like a chinese pimp trying to sell you some ho's!
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
IMO that sounds like a chinese pimp trying to sell you some ho's!

sucky sucky. ****y ****y. give me eggroll, love you long time
The Gibson logo and diamond inlay look too small also. Anything like this coming from China is obviously fake just because it is coming from China.
Quote by zillafan74
who would make a fake epiphone? even dumber, who would BUY a fake epiphone? And definitely, who the hell would pay 1.5 grand for i?

thats what i was wondering i was in the pawn shop askign about guitars and this russian guys like "best guitar in whole world right here,It says Les paul custom it must be good!" I was like lulz and walked out of the store
If it comes from China it prolly has lead based finishes as well so you will die an agonizing death.

AHH SOOO You buy high quality electicity guitar be happy long time, or untill finger fall off from lead paint and make penis small like ours. Stupid Amereecan
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Last edited by halfstacked at Dec 23, 2009,
Page 1 of 2