Page 1 of 2
A lot of you people make wonderful music, and we all know that the guitar can make angelic sounds. But I have a challenge. Whoever can come up with the worst sounding 'chord' wins. (No prize) I want too see just how horrendous a sond this instrument can make.

It must be at least three notes, like a chord.
Here's mine
|---
|---
I'd say a diminished 5th would be in the running, though not cringeworthy, it is quite dissonant and evil sounding. Was banned in medievel times I think (so lute players don't summon the devil )
Here's one:

E--0--
B--4--
G--7--
D--11--
A----
E----

You must tap on the C# (11th fret, D string) or get a friend to do it... or have freakishly huge hands.

Quote by Rokeman
I'd say a diminished 5th would be in the running, though not cringeworthy, it is quite dissonant and evil sounding. Was banned in medievel times I think (so lute players don't summon the devil )

No it wasn't. If it was, there would be no such thing as a Dominant chord, or a diminished chord... or an Authentic Cadence.

And a diminished fifth lacks a third tone; therefore is not a chord, but a diad.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by Rokeman
Was banned in medievel times I think (so lute players don't summon the devil )

Myth, it just was just hardly used. IMO minor 2nds sounded much more dissonant that Diminished 5ths. Although any interval can sound good in the right chord.

Slicedit:
Quote by griffRG7321
Myth, it just was just hardly used.

Far as I know it's not myth, just misunderstanding. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was the Catholic Church that banned its use, a while before lutists (luters? luticians?) were popular. By the time of Renaissance people cared less about divine power.
Last edited by TimboSlice at Dec 22, 2009,
E-5
B-5
G-3
D-0
A-0
E-4

this sounds pretty awful, having 2 dischords within it

EDIT:

or even this

E-7
B-7
G-5
D-0
A-0
E-4
Last edited by Stud_Muffin at Dec 22, 2009,
e|----------------|
b|----------------|
g|----------------|
d|--4------------|
a|--4------------|
E|--3------------|
Quote by DiminishedFifth

No it wasn't. If it was, there would be no such thing as a Dominant chord, or a diminished chord... or an Authentic Cadence.

And a diminished fifth lacks a third tone; therefore is not a chord, but a diad.

I stand corrected by the very embodiment of the diad itself

Thanks for the correction, I personally hate spreading false information
Quote by Stud_Muffin
E-5
B-5
G-3
D-0
A-0
E-4

this sounds pretty awful, having 2 dischords within it

If you bring the Ab down to a G you actually get a really cool Gm-based chord. The one there sounds like some perversion of an Am-maj7, sounds groovy.
Quote by comftrblynum
consecutive minor seconds. you could stack tritones, but they sound ****ed up in a good way

Stacking tritones results in... a tritone.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

A chord is any two notes or more put together... so it is a chord...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Dream Floyd
A chord is any two notes or more put together... so it is a chord...

A chord is three or more different tones stacked. There's a reason thirds are called diads, and Am is Am.

chord
2  /kɔrd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kawrd] Show IPA
–noun
1. a combination of usually three or more musical tones sounded simultaneously.
Quote by Rokeman
I stand corrected by the very embodiment of the diad itself

Thanks for the correction, I personally hate spreading false information

Haha don't worry... I used to think the same thing ;]

EDIT: Sorry for the double post :/
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Haha don't worry... I used to think the same thing ;]

Yep... so much for my high school music theory. Pretty hilarious about your username though and the topic (well it is to me)

Another (lame) contribution to the thread: Anyone ever just picked all the strings open on the guitar? Yeah...
Quote by Rokeman
Yep... so much for my high school music theory. Pretty hilarious about your username though and the topic (well it is to me)

Another (lame) contribution to the thread: Anyone ever just picked all the strings open on the guitar? Yeah...

No, what happens?
Quote by Rokeman
I think tritones can be the most beautiful thing ever. #11 chords are like heaven in audible form. Dominant seventh, diminished, half-diminished, and thirteenth chords have tritones as well. These are four of my favorite types of chords.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by NY_FootBall49
l-
l-
l-0-3-5--0-3-6-5--0-3-5--3-0
l-0-3-5--0-3-6-5--0-3-5--3-0
l-
l-

What do I win???

Everything there is to win.

But the guy who posted the chord that was C#, D, D#, and E I think might have one of the worst sounding ones.

The only problem with this thread is the definition of what sounds bad. some like the sound of major 2nds, some hate it. it's all subjective.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by clayonfire
Everything there is to win.

But the guy who posted the chord that was C#, D, D#, and E I think might have one of the worst sounding ones.

The only problem with this thread is the definition of what sounds bad. some like the sound of major 2nds, some hate it. it's all subjective.

Haha thank you.

I think the chord sounds dissonant, but not "bad". Bad is too subjective. I just assume that when people say "what's the worst sounding chord?" that they mean the most dissonant.

I have written a little 8 bar thing of what were basically diminished/augmented chords on crack. It's terrifying. And I think it sounds good... or I used to
I remember using a decending chromatic chord (like DiminishedFifth's) as a transition in a song I wrote, it sounded pretty damn good to me

As for the worst sound you can make on the guitar. I've yet to hear something that i haven't been able to use because I couldn't bare the sound of it.

Harmonizing in minor 2nds comes close, but not close enough.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by MapOfYourHead
Harmonizing in minor 2nds comes close, but not close enough.

Have you ever heard a harmony in quarter tones? It sounds freaky. There's a song in the tabs and chords section that has it... it was freaky.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Have you ever heard a harmony in quarter tones? It sounds freaky. There's a song in the tabs and chords section that has it... it was freaky.

*Opens up TuxGuitar to experiment*

Edit:

All aboard the demented magic roundabout ride.

I'll be using that soon enough

EDIT:

I was halfway through "pre-bending" all the notes of a random melody before i refreshed the page and seen the link.

It would be a painstaking process to do it for an extended phrase, but probably worth it. Now if you don't mind, I'm off to my composition chamber...
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by MapOfYourHead
*Opens up TuxGuitar to experiment*

Enjoy

EDIT: It's not true harmony in quartertones, but imagine a quartertone + a third as the harmony.

Glad to inspire
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Enjoy

EDIT: It's not true harmony in quartertones, but imagine a quartertone + a third as the harmony.

Glad to inspire

That sucked for the most part. haha
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Try this:

Spin all six of your tuners randomly, to change the tuning. Try not to get it into any correct tuning. Make sure you don't tune them too sharp, lest the strings will break. Then plug in, turn your gain, treble, mid, bass, and volume knobs all the way up. Run your guitar through all of your pedals, and put them to their maximum settings. Then, strum the open strings in a random pattern, with no sense of rhythm.

That will be much more unpleasant than just specific notes.
play 4 6 4 6 on the b string with the hi e string ringing and say over and over again, "this is the annoying song" in a harmonious way
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Enjoy

Glad to inspire
Reminded me of this for some reason
-Chick Corea

and similarly

also

X

edit: isaac, sadly, I've heard a few people that did just that. got a guitar, took no lessons and didn't try to really learn anything.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
A chord is three or more different tones stacked. There's a reason thirds are called diads, and Am is Am.

chord
2  /kɔrd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kawrd] Show IPA
–noun
1. a combination of usually three or more musical tones sounded simultaneously.

A triad has three tones (hence the tri- prefix).
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by The4thHorsemen
Doesn't seem like it'd be that bad. It's an A, G and E. Those three notes are in A7 and Am7, which are pretty consonant chords.

After playing it, I support my point further. I also realized that this specific voicing is in Whirlwind by Dispatch.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Doesn't seem like it'd be that bad. It's an A, G and E. Those three notes are in A7 and Am7, which are pretty consonant chords.

After playing it, I support my point further. I also realized that this specific voicing is in Whirlwind by Dispatch.

sorry, I meant those 5's to be 6's

and with all of these chords I'd actually love to use them. I like taking dissonant sounding stuff and making it awesome.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 23, 2009,

You could still have an authentic cadence w/out a tritone. An authentic cadence can have simply a V chord, it doesn't have to be a V7. Sorry, not to sound dick-ish or anything, just saying
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

once you get to all the really horrible sounding Altered dominants and the like, they all serve the same function in a lot of progressions; you can't really decide which chords sound bad and which dont on their own, as it depends a lot on the context that the chord is in.

so yeah... a lot of #5-#9 chords sound like crap on their own.
"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason. " - John Cage
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
-----
-----
--0--
--4--
--1--
--0--

...has a fair amount of dissonance.
...I like metal.
e|8
B|x
G|7
D|6
A|4
E|x

I actually don't mind what TS posted.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Page 1 of 2