I was messing about with some recording software on my new mac, namely iMovie, when I noticed that my picking technique, my fingering technique, and just the overall way that I play has changed dramatically in the 18months that I haven't recorded myself.

Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or if I'm just being silly and my technique is actually amazing?

Link to the video is hereeee: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=101605204

Apologies for the sound, I was also testing out guitar rig's presets.

The wah sound is my Weeping Demon, which reminds me, I've got a big NGD thread that needs to be sorted...
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Cheers. Does it look like I'm doing anything wrong with my playing? I'm not too fussed about the quality of the song (as my face shows on the video!), because it was an audio/video demo and also I've played the song hundreds of times xD
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
All I have to say is, great playing and awesome job on the cover. Just focus on keeping your fretting hand thumb behind the neck at all times. It will increase your range, speed, and precision if you practice the habit enough. Good work, man.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Cheers guys, means a lot.

Can anyone see any faults with my picking technique or anything like that?

Plainsight, I do tend to play faster runs with my thumb behind the neck, but when it comes to bends I feel like I have more control over the pitching with my thumb over the top. Should I iron that out?
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
Hey Man,

Pretty nice playing. Regarding thumb over the neck for bends - I don't think you need to fix that as long as your able to switch between thumb behind and thumb over easily. Especially for bends with vibrato on top, it's really hard to get the same feel with your thumb behind the neck.
Your picking technique looked pretty solid to me. The only thing I noticed is that during the bits where you're picking exclusively with your wrist, your forearm looked a little "locked down" - if you were 100% loose you'd see a little transmitted movement up your forearm, at least playing at a moderate speed like you were.
Fretting technique - overall a bit of wasted motion, the biggest thing is that your pinky could use a bit of extra work.
I hope that didn't sound too critical - it definately isn't meant that way - just a couple of things I noticed. Your playing is pretty good.
Thanks Se01201, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

My pinky doesn't get used much in that song, its true, but there's not really a place to logically use it in my mind and in terms of my reach. I do use it a lot outside of that song :P

As for my picking technique, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll record myself playing faster and slower, and if there is no energy transmission through my forearm, then I will sort it out.

Thanks for the critique guys, but thanks even more for the compliments.
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
Cool, man. You know what I mean about the forearm, right? I always have trouble explaining that. Mostly, just make sure that it's relaxed. The ideal combo when you're picking on one or two strings is about 90% wrist, 10% elbow. Then when you're crossing more strings, use a bit more elbow to cover the bigger distance from string to string so that you don't have to change your wrist angle too much and get out of whack.
The thing that tipped me off about the pinky lacking a bit of independence is more what it's up to when it's not being used. For example, freeze the vid at about 0:12. Most likely there's probably a bit too much tension overall that's causing it to do that. Nothing too bad, because you wouldn't be able to play that well if you had a lot of tension.
Again, this is all nitpicky stuff. Overall, you're technique's in pretty good shape.
Nice cover dude!

I really like how your wah sound, that fit perfectly with your tone and song!

The onliest thing i've found you could improve is your rest. Try to stop your note a bit faster, it's a bit hard to explain but when the guitar stop in the song, your a bit slower to stop your string to ring. (Same thing with slide...).

I don't know if im clear? If not just don't pay attention and continue doing kickass cover!

-MDP
Thanks, weeping demon's a versatile bitch, isn't she?

I know what you mean, I could've cut the audio out, but I didn't think that far ahead in the mastering process, it was just a test. I've got another video somewhere of a whole band playing the song that I'm in, and the other guitarist doesn't stop in time, but the rest of us do. It's so frustrating! Hahaha
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates