i have a western digital 1tb external hard drive and i plugged it in my computer and it said i was missing the drivers. i've had this thing for about 9 months and i haven't had any trouble with it before. i tried finding them online but whatever i got didn't work. i've restarted my computer and that didn't help either. any suggestions?
sometimes if u plug something already installed into another usb slot, it wont recognize it (windows is fun like that sometimes). try all the usb ports till it works. if not, ull have to install it inside the computer to see if the drive is busted or the external case's usb connector is busted.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Plus, if you a Windows7PC, they may not have gotten around to even making a driver for it. Windows7 is a b*tch like that. It's also barely compatible with things that work fine on XP.
i've tried all of the different usb ports. still not working. how do i install it inside the computer?

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Plus, if you a Windows7PC, they may not have gotten around to even making a driver for it. Windows7 is a b*tch like that. It's also barely compatible with things that work fine on XP.

nope. still using vista. been using the same os and computer since i got this thing.
Last edited by vjferrara at Dec 22, 2009,
sometimes its the computer thats the problem

my old computer used to not recognize my external all the time, until it eventually didnt alltogether. it was always saying "unknown device" "driver not detected"
also it used to disconnect if u so much as breathed on the usb lead, i thought it was the lead but never got around to buying a new one

but now on my new laptop and new computer it works fine, worked straight away and the lead works perfectly
Quote by link no1
sometimes its the computer thats the problem

my old computer used to not recognize my external all the time, until it eventually didnt alltogether. it was always saying "unknown device" "driver not detected"
also it used to disconnect if u so much as breathed on the usb lead, i thought it was the lead but never got around to buying a new one

but now on my new laptop and new computer it works fine, worked straight away and the lead works perfectly

grr... that helps me not. i was having trouble with it last week too. couldn't get it to work on my friend's computer
turn on computer without the drive plugged in. then plug it in.

try looking through the device manager to see if theres anything there thats not installed. if its not recognized at all, its probably not a driver issue and the drive might be dead.

are u any good with computers? it might be difficult to walk u through putting inside the computer if ur not, but i can try. try it on another pc first too. if u dont have any other pcs to try it on, burn a linux disc, boot in linux and see if that recognizes it.

another problem is that sometimes if a drive isnt ejected properly, it thinks its still on and doesnt try to get recognized by the computer. u will need to burn a linux disc for this too as the process of getting it to shut off is much easier in linux with a few command line tools. then when u reboot into windows, all should be good.

if ALL of this doesnt work, drive is dead my friend.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by guitaraholic666
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en
put the product number in and it should have the drivers. I don't know if you tried this already but it should have a download for the driver somewhere

don't know the product number but i'll give this a shot

Quote by xxunder-takerxx
turn on computer without the drive plugged in. then plug it in.

try looking through the device manager to see if theres anything there thats not installed. if its not recognized at all, its probably not a driver issue and the drive might be dead.

are u any good with computers? it might be difficult to walk u through putting inside the computer if ur not, but i can try. try it on another pc first too. if u dont have any other pcs to try it on, burn a linux disc, boot in linux and see if that recognizes it.

another problem is that sometimes if a drive isnt ejected properly, it thinks its still on and doesnt try to get recognized by the computer. u will need to burn a linux disc for this too as the process of getting it to shut off is much easier in linux with a few command line tools. then when u reboot into windows, all should be good.

if ALL of this doesnt work, drive is dead my friend.

that all sounds a bit difficult for me
the last suggestion is probably the easiest. if u decide to do it, i can make a little write-up for u. its honestly nothing more than downloading and burning a cd, booting from that cd, and doing a little typing.

try connecting to another pc first.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by vjferrara
don't know the product number but i'll give this a shot

It should have a sticker or something on it unless you took it off, or it would be on the box, receipt or manual if you bothered keeping any of those.