In the Key of A with the minor pentatonic scale i know that when played at the 5th fret the pattern is Estring 5,8. Astring 5,7. Dstring 5,7 ect. but it can also be played at the third fret like Estring 3,5. Astring 3,5. Dstring 2,5 ect. and it can also be played at the 7th and 10th frets with different patterns. My question is how do you switch from one pattern to another?

Another question involves modes. i basically know what a mode is, for example playing in E minor but ending on a D would be the Dorleon mode or somethign like that right? So do you use modes when the rythym changes chords. For example C-F-G
if you were playing in a C minor then the rythm changed to the F would you then have to use the F mode which i think is called the hypolidian?

Sorry if what im asking isnt very clear.
well i dont know much about modes so i cant answer your second question but the rule i use when switching between positions of scales is if it sounds good, then do it, and if it sounds bad dont do it, try using slides or hammer ons, its very subjective there's realy no set way in switching positions
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?scch=A&scchnam=Pentatonic+Minor&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1

just learn that, also i don't know much about modes so i can't help you with that.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
C minor = Eb major

so in C-F-G you could use the modes from Eb major

C minor
F dorian
G isn't in it so im guessing you mean in C major lol so

CFG in C major =
C major
F Lydian
G mixolydian
Quote by TrevorJH
In the Key of A with the minor pentatonic scale i know that when played at the 5th fret the pattern is Estring 5,8. Astring 5,7. Dstring 5,7 ect. but it can also be played at the third fret like Estring 3,5. Astring 3,5. Dstring 2,5 ect. and it can also be played at the 7th and 10th frets with different patterns. My question is how do you switch from one pattern to another?

http://www.magicbooktheory.com/g_scales1.htm

its just the same notes in a different pattern., or at least thats what i think youre getting at.

Another question involves modes. i basically know what a mode is, for example playing in E minor but ending on a D would be the Dorleon mode or somethign like that right? So do you use modes when the rythym changes chords. For example C-F-G
if you were playing in a C minor then the rythm changed to the F would you then have to use the F mode which i think is called the hypolidian?

this for understanding what they are:
http://www.magicbooktheory.com/modes.htm

and this for understanding how they work:
http://www.magicbooktheory.com/g_modes1.htm
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by professorlamp
C minor = Eb major

so in C-F-G you could use the modes from Eb major

C minor
F dorian
G isn't in it so im guessing you mean in C major lol so

CFG in C major =
C major
F Lydian
G mixolydian

This is something much more complicated than what he is asking/ready for... and you yourself don't really sound like you know what you're talking about. May I direct you to the modes sticky?

Quote by TrevorJH

No. If you're in E Minor, you're in E Minor... not D Dorian... even if you end on D (aside from that, modes are from the MAJOR scale, not the MINOR).

Go to the modes sticky; that'll answer the modes question.

Quote by TrevorJH

Based on the backing. If you're beginning to solo, the best thing to do would be accent the chord tones. If you're in Am, and you're progression goes Am - Dm - E7 - Am then you would accent the tones of the Am chord for the first chord change (in this case, the minor pent. first position at the 5th fret, 6th string) then the tones of the Dm chord, so on and so forth. I'm not skilled at soloing the minor pent's but that's the basics.
Quote by TrevorJH

In all seriousness, if you are asking about the application for the A Minor Pentatonic, you are in no way ready for modes. For now, forget them. Your understanding and knowledge are far too basic and beginner level for even the pentatonic, to be worrying about modes.

I know this by the questions you've asked here, which I will answer now.

In the Key of A with the minor pentatonic scale i know that when played at the 5th fret the pattern is Estring 5,8. Astring 5,7. Dstring 5,7 ect.

Yes, that would be in A

but it can also be played at the third fret like Estring 3,5. Astring 3,5. Dstring 2,5 ect.

No. Youve gone into a different key more or less, now you are in G. Your PATTERN idea is right, but you are not in A any more. This is what I mean by basic and beginner. You dont even know how the frets and keys work yet. But, you are NOT in A at this point, you are in G

and it can also be played at the 7th and 10th frets with different patterns.

This is also not the key of A - this is B - again right pattern, wrong Key for A

My question is how do you switch from one pattern to another?

In A - this example you gave doesnt work. These are different scales and keys, and really if this is all you know, then the only way you could make it work, is Power chord A then go to Power chord G - switch to the 3rd fret and do that shape, then Power chord B

You COULD Power chord B then A then G and back to A and back to B etc, this is sort of a Zeppelin idea, and then you play the scale shape that I called B, and it would sound pretty cool

But don't try and "connect them" because:

You know only one scale and pattern.
You pattern limits you to only 4 frets in any one key
You don't know any other patterns to connect to the one, and if you did, you didn't seem to know how to join them together.
Now I am not a fan of box scale approach, but what the hell, at your point, its better than nothing.

So here is something I just went out and found off the lessons guide here at UG. Its box patterns for Pentatonic Minor:

Fretboard:
E|---|---|-x-|---|-x-|---|---|-x-|---|-x-|---|-x-|---|---|
B|---|---|-x-|---|-x-|---|---|-x-|---|-x-|---|---|-x-|---|
G|---|-x-|---|---|-x-|---|-x-|---|-x-|---|---|-x-|---|-x-|
D|---|-x-|---|---|-x-|---|-x-|---|---|-x-|---|-x-|---|-x-|
A|---|---|-x-|---|-x-|---|-x-|---|---|-x-|---|-x-|---|---|
E|---|---|-G-|---|-A-|---|(B)|-C-|---|-D-|---|-E-|(F)|---|

If you look at the first part of it you see the familiar box you described, but starting on E. Well that joins into yet another box, and there are 5 of them in all. Learn how to connect them and play them for now.

Later when you get good and strong with these Pent Minor scales and boxes and decide to really learn your music and theory, then you can look into Modes, but for now you are in no way ready for them, my friend.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Sean0913 at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
This is something much more complicated than what he is asking/ready for... and you yourself don't really sound like you know what you're talking about. May I direct you to the modes sticky?

explain where i've gone wrong? those are the right modes for the right chords in that scale? depends if you were gonna play differetnt modes for different chords or all one scale for the whole thing
(i.e. F lydian for Fmaj7#11)
simplified
(f major over F)
depends how you approach it
rock or jazz
Quote by professorlamp
explain where i've gone wrong? those are the right modes for the right chords in that scale? depends if you were gonna play differetnt modes for different chords or all one scale for the whole thing
(i.e. F lydian for Fmaj7#11)
simplified
(f major over F)
depends how you approach it
rock or jazz

yeah, but modal interchange is way over this guys head.

Well, it was probably the not knowing that the "G" mode in Eb major was G Phrygian ;]

My apologies for jumping on you.
Quote by Sean0913
"but it can also be played at the third fret like Estring 3,5. Astring 3,5. Dstring 2,5 ect."~TrevorJH
No. Youve gone into a different key more or less, now you are in G. Your PATTERN idea is right, but you are not in A any more. This is what I mean by basic and beginner. You dont even know how the frets and keys work yet. But, you are NOT in A at this point, you are in G

This I don't understand. This sounds like the Am pent to me. I start or end up in this position all the time when improvising in A. 3-5,3-5,2-5,2-5,3-5,3-5 isn't Am pentatonic? Seriously Sean, no arguing for the sake of arguing. Just correct me if i'm wrong. (I don't know shit)
Quote by Sean0913
"..and it can also be played at the 7th and 10th frets with different patterns."~TrevorJH
This is also not the key of A - this is B - again right pattern, wrong Key for A

Right. E string, 7th fret is a B which is not in the Am pentatonic. Maybe he meant the A string or something. TrevorJH , what did you mean by 7th or 10th fret? I was following your logic (I think) until then.
Quote by Sean0913
"My question is how do you switch from one pattern to another?"~TrevorJH

If he's looking at different positions (boxes) that he can play the Am pentatonic on the neck and he's wondering how to "connect" them, then I'd say anyway that's fluid and sounds good. Slides, pull-offs, tap-ons, pure hand speed. Just have fun trying and see what you come up with. As far as modes, the only one's you should concern yourself with are Ionian, which is the Major scale, and Aeolian mode, which is the Minor scale (notice how the minor pentatonic(5 notes out of the first 7) fits into that pattern?).

I've just started learning new modes myself after 25 years. It's interesting to say the least, but it's coming along and it's given me a renewed excitement towards my instrument....stay tuned! (I think i'll use that as my new title)
pritty sure this is a troll
Originally Posted by jmac72187
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by JudgeDrey
This I don't understand. This sounds like the Am pent to me. I start or end up in this position all the time when improvising in A. 3-5,3-5,2-5,2-5,3-5,3-5 isn't Am pentatonic? Seriously Sean, no arguing for the sake of arguing. Just correct me if i'm wrong. (I don't know shit)

Right. E string, 7th fret is a B which is not in the Am pentatonic. Maybe he meant the A string or something. TrevorJH , what did you mean by 7th or 10th fret? I was following your logic (I think) until then.

If he's looking at different positions (boxes) that he can play the Am pentatonic on the neck and he's wondering how to "connect" them, then I'd say anyway that's fluid and sounds good. Slides, pull-offs, tap-ons, pure hand speed. Just have fun trying and see what you come up with. As far as modes, the only one's you should concern yourself with are Ionian, which is the Major scale, and Aeolian mode, which is the Minor scale (notice how the minor pentatonic(5 notes out of the first 7) fits into that pattern?).

I've just started learning new modes myself after 25 years. It's interesting to say the least, but it's coming along and it's given me a renewed excitement towards my instrument....stay tuned! (I think i'll use that as my new title)

You know what - it's you that's right - I misread the coordinates, and now I realize he was playing the correct shapes for connecting to the Am Pent - I thought at first he was playing the exact same box at different frets, but I see that his notes are correct.

I wont argue with you for the sake of arguing bro, I have no ill will against you. But your observation was in fact more correct than I was, because I misread those coordinates, in his description. And now that I look back, I wonder how I missed it - *scratching head*. Anyways, sorry to throw you with my answer, Drey.

That's great that you started learning modes - and they are a lot of fun, if you need any help hit me up.

Ive been playing 25 years as well.