Hi d00ds and d00dettes...

Does anyone have any experience with the AMT SS-20 preamp pedal?

I'm thinking of using this as a preamp, then plugging it into the power section of the Spider Valve.

I'm getting quite tired of the Spider Valve's sound, and its not really easy to off-load, so I figure that if I could make use of its power section, the all-tube power could make a preamp sound good?

So... TL;DR?

AMT SS-20 Preamp pedal -> Power section of Spider Valve = WIN?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I've been looking at cheaper power amp alternatives to the Crate Power Block for reamping, so I'm also interested in this.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I've been looking at cheaper power amp alternatives to the Crate Power Block for reamping, so I'm also interested in this.

reamping?

The Spider Valve isn't exactly a soft amp ya know?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
^ I don't need a quiet amp, I just need a power amp to run the Weber's DI into.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
That pre looks like it may help plenty in "warming up" the sound going into the front end of the amp, but I doubt highly it bypasses any ADDA conversion. Sort of like running a tube "powered" pedal into a stock SV.

If (and this might be a big if, I don't have a schem (or even a block diagram) to an SV) there is a preamp in that bypasses ALL of the front end, I think it would work great.

I have an old Peavey Mace with a SS pre and 6L6 power section, that I've run a sansamp into after the preamp circuit, and it sounds pretty good. Much better, anyway!
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
I have not tried AMT pedals before, but an option I think you might want to consider is to switch out the preamp with this:

http://www.strymon.net/products/svpre/

I heard it sounds much better when you do this mod.

Already considered, it is indeed much better... but the Spider Valve's modeling feature isn't something I'm too pleased with.

I want to explore better alternatives, hence the SS-20.

Quote by Rutch
That pre looks like it may help plenty in "warming up" the sound going into the front end of the amp, but I doubt highly it bypasses any ADDA conversion. Sort of like running a tube "powered" pedal into a stock SV.

If (and this might be a big if, I don't have a schem (or even a block diagram) to an SV) there is a preamp in that bypasses ALL of the front end, I think it would work great.

I have an old Peavey Mace with a SS pre and 6L6 power section, that I've run a sansamp into after the preamp circuit, and it sounds pretty good. Much better, anyway!

What the SVPre does is to just throw a tube in front of the Spider Firmware... so that the sound clips/sags/reacts like as though its going into a tube preamp section, which it is.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 22, 2009,