Greetings UGers.

I've just bought a guitar and I didn't have the chance to try it. Believe me, if I did, I never would have went on to buy that guitar and amp. I tried a guitar in the shop with the same TBX15R Ibanez amp that I bought (I was given another TBX15R, not the one on display) and I thought the guitar sounded good. I'm not sure what Ibanez it was but it was nearly three times the price of the GRG170DX I bought.

There was no left handed version of the 170DX, so I didn't get a chance to try it. I trusted the guy working at the shop when he said the sound of the guitar was going to be pretty much the same as the one I tried with that amp. So I chose to order it. Again, if I had actually tried it, I would never have bought it but hey, I thought the guy was right. I've tried fiddling with the settings of the amp (reverb, treble, bass, volume, gain, etc.) and all my efforts (most of yesterday! with only lunch/dinner keeping me away from the guitar and amp!) were practically useless!

The clean sound is half decent and from what I've read, the distortion is supposed to be great, since apparently, it's a guitar that's more suitable for metal that I bought. The distortion sounds like shit and I've even tried out 4-5 different amp settings from the settings thread and it still sounded bad.

I'm only sixteen and I've used all the money that I've saved up (+ money I got as "presents" for birthdays and the like) on this and I am considering giving it back to the shop before the 7-day period (starts from the day I got the gear, I reckon) ends.

So, my question is (sorry for the long story, I am quite frustrated by this!) should I just return it and invest in new gear, this time, after many many tries? Or should I just keep this? I have no more than (roughly) $450 (U.S Dollars) to spend.

With my gear, I would like to play mainly metal like Death, Megadeth, Opeth but I would also want to play alternative/prog rock in the vein of Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, Weezer, The Libertines and The Strokes. So, I want great distortion and a great clean sound as well.

So, what kind of guitar and amp would you recommend for that budget and musical style?

Again, I apologise for the length of the post! Please, please help me out!
Return the amp, its a piece of crap, but a peavey vypyr for 99USD. Then buy a guitar with humbuckers, not sure what is available in lefty though.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
The GRG170DX is actually a decent guitar for that music. The amp however, is a crapbox, and oddly enough has crap level of distortion even though its an ibanez..

I reckon just sell the amp and get a decent one.
I had the same budget when I started and I got a ibanez RG3exfm and a peavey vypyr 15w which ends up being 450$. If you get the RG2 it's pretty much the same other than some aspects of how it looks and it's 50$ cheaper I think.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
I didn't expect to get so many replies so quickly! Thanks a bunch!

Well yeah, a guitar with two humbuckers is what I'm going to look for. So, I should only give back the amp? Could I not do any better with that budget? If I can actually get back all of my money, I'm going to do so and get something better because as I said, I'm only this old and in my country, with a part time job after a month, I'll probably have only the equivalent of 75 bucks (!), so are there any other guitars I could look into?

ESPs? Charvel? Jackson? Dean? Which other brands or ideally, which models/specs? (the more specification, the better, as I'm a noob and it would be easier for me to identify/find the suitable guitar for the job!) I was initially looking for something like Les Paul.
Really, where I am now, it's 5 in the afternoon and I have to have my mind made up tonight itself as tomorrow morning I'm going back to town to that shop. And, honestly, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who doesn't find this totally feasible. Granted, he told me there won't be much of a difference in terms of sound (between my GRG170DX and that other guitar I tried) but still, it's just not the way to do things.

I will try out the left handed guitars he has in his shop and it is only as a last resort that I will ask for a refund. If I was in a similar position to that guy, I really would not like a guy coming back in my shop to **** around with me about not being a satisfied, bla bla bla.

So please, help me out with all of that. I don't know, link me to sites talking about theory regarding the specs of guitars or/and loads of links to guitars that fit my description, I don't know - just please help me out! I'm desperate! The same goes for amps. PLEASE!!!
I own the TBX30R...it's awful. Return that, and get a Peavey Vypyr or Roland Cube 20X. Google them, you'll find them.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
I 5th (?) or 6th (?) the suggestion for the Peavy Vypyr, I just got it today and I'm totally crazy about this little 15watter. I've played on a handfull of "lower" end amps and they don't even compare to this one, so many nice options to it and it sounds ****in great.
Thanks a lot - this means a lot to me! I'm really really drunk right now, so sorry if I sound a bit weirder than usual. But hey, this sure does mean a lot to me! The amps I will remember Peavery Vypyr and the Roland Cube 20X - I will remember that.

What about the guitars though? Anything else I should look into? I like the les paul shape..................i better go to sleep i can't quite comprehend what i'm typing about or trying to...so temeptd to text speak. thaaaaaaaaaaaank yhouuuu

my head
actually for 450 you can easily find yourself a 1x12 or 2x12 peavey xxx combo easily, theyre plenty of gain for the genre that you play
Quote by sirlaser
actually for 450 you can easily find yourself a 1x12 or 2x12 peavey xxx combo easily, theyre plenty of gain for the genre that you play

Yeah, I guess so but within that budget, I need a guitar too!

What about the other guitars? Please, throw in some suggestions that will be suitable for the styles I want to play! As many suggestions as possible actually!
I am generally patient, very patient but it's already 22 06 and I would like to know as many alternatives (in terms of guitars) as possible! I am desperate. I truly am. How the **** am I supposed to say that?! Help me the **** out, please!
What's wrong with your guitar?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
What's wrong with your guitar?

I'll be stuck with that guitar for years. Yes, years. If I can get something better for the same price - why should I not get one?

Would a guitar with humbuckers at the bridge and neck be suitable for my needs?

And what if those amps are not available? What should I get?
TS, What is the closest major city to you? Do you want to be able to gig with the amp?

unfortunately, i know all too well the pain of trying to find a left handed guitar. from my experience, Epiphone makes very good left handed models. my reccomendation would be a Fender Vibro Champ XD with an AXL Jacknife guitar or a Epiphone Les Paul II.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by Jhachey22
TS, What is the closest major city to you? Do you want to be able to gig with the amp?

unfortunately, i know all too well the pain of trying to find a left handed guitar. from my experience, Epiphone makes very good left handed models. my reccomendation would be a Fender Vibro Champ XD with an AXL Jacknife guitar or a Epiphone Les Paul II.

Auckland. :\

I don't think I'm good enough for gigging. Thanks for the suggestions.

Also, what makes an amp a good one? Other than if I look the sound of it, are there any other factors I should look into?

I am now on my way to YouTube to check out videos for the amps!
If you're looking for a good standard for about $200-$250 in the guitar range go for a LP special II or SG special II by epiphone, good guitars for the price with 2 humbuckers, and the peavey vypyr sounds great with all the referals on here so they could be good, you could probably even get some pedals or other gear with the money left over..

or of course save it up anyuway have fun..

HELLO!

Okay then, I will try and see if I can change the guitar as well. Even if I can, I will try out the other guitar(s) and the GRG170DX as well, with the new amp.

Thanks a lot.
Quote by Zolatio
Auckland. :\

I don't think I'm good enough for gigging. Thanks for the suggestions.

Also, what makes an amp a good one? Other than if I look the sound of it, are there any other factors I should look into?

I am now on my way to YouTube to check out videos for the amps!

it really comes down to personal preference. Even though we've given suggestions, just make sure you like the sound of it.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by JamesLPs
let us know how it goes

Sorry, I never noticed the last few posts and I only just came on UG today. (or the day before that but I digress)

Well, lesson learned, I'm gonna try out my stuff well next time! The guy, while being cool and everything, didn't want to hear any of it. (it being a refund or something) But he was willing to let me change amps. There was a Peavey Vypyr but it was sold at that more than twice the normal price. So, that was a no-no and I stuck with TBX15R.

I still have the same gear. Good thing is, while I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm still able to fiddle about with the control knobs on the amp and get a good enough sound. Nothing great but I can do with that.