I'm looking to put new pickups into my Explorer, but I'm not really sure what kinds to put in.

I use the Explorer for mostly metal, such as Megadeth, Metallica, and Tool, so I'd like something along those veins.

I have a VMNT with the Livewires, and I love those, but the Explorer doesn't have a batter cavity and I don't want to drill one out. Any active versions of those?

And for the record, I really don't like EMGs. :\
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Budget?
Location?
Price Range?
What don't you like about the pickups you already have?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
you dont need to drill a new cavity for a battery, you can usually fit the battery in the existing routed parts, or just duct tape it to the control plate, so dont count out actives. And just check out the EMG-X's before you count EMG's out entirely.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Don't really have a budget, I guess $150-$200. Seems to be a common price for pickups.

I'm in Syracuse, New York. Not exactly a hub of music activity, but there's a Guitar Center and a few local shops I can check out.

The stock pickups are just kinda... blah. They're not bad for a rhythm tone, but as soon as I go to do a solo, they don't impress me. The Livewires get a great sound, searing leads, and the Explorer's pickups just don't compare.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?