I was checking out Ed Roman when i noticed these two pages

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/pearlcaster/upgrading_your_fender.html
http://www.edroman.com/techarticles/betterstrat.htm

and it got me thinking, what does the GB&C think have to say about the Strat.

So, what do you not like/find crippling about the Strat, especially it construction(shape and build). These things will be taken into consideration for my next build
THANKS!
Quote by Invader Jim
idk about the strat but they'll have quite a bit to say about ed roman...

Lawl, I'll (try to) keep my mouth shut...
In a moment of weakness I bought a strap and some picks last time I was in LV.
I exchanged a few words with the man, mostly just listened and stared...

OK, which strat?
My first stops under the knife, in order:

Bridge and/or block (I like Callaham)
Tuners (I like Sperzel)
Nut (whatever, bone or tusq or graphtech)
Pups (whatever floats your boat)

The rest boils down to neck feel and tone, and set-up trumps all. That's my playbook, YMMV.

I disagree with virtually everything in both those articles, except for the notes above, and even then I disagree with his recommendations.

/.02
Quote by Invader Jim

You know me (and other UG'ers) all so well.

Here's my two cents:
Ed roman is a complete asshole, trying to make everyone else seem inferior to him and his guitars. If fenders and strats in general are so bad stock, then why do so many people buy them?

I could honestly rant about him and this for a while, but i'll spare you
Don't trust ed roman, or anything else he says. He's well know in the lutheir world as "bad guy" and I'll just leave it at that.

Of course, all my opinion.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Strats are awsome. I love my strats. I live with my strats. My strats love me. Some moments I'll never forget

strat are my fav too, but i've found bumps in playability and sometimes i feel the wiring leave something to be desired.

but thats just me, i like having dedicated controls for each pup
Quote by metalwarrior40

You know me (and other UG'ers) all so well.

Here's my two cents:
Ed roman is a complete asshole, trying to make everyone else seem inferior to him and his guitars. If fenders and strats in general are so bad stock, then why do so many people buy them?

I could honestly rant about him and this for a while, but i'll spare you
Don't trust ed roman, or anything else he says. He's well know in the lutheir world as "bad guy" and I'll just leave it at that.

Of course, all my opinion.

i feel you, him talking about prs/gibson/fender/ect like he's the best thing that ever happened to guitar. but he's got some nice guitars.
He does have amazing guitars, but those don't say Ed Roman on them.
He has one of the nation's best selections of gear, and the kind of stuff that passes through his shop is world-class.

As for the guitars he builds, I'd just be sure to play them first, then come to a decision.
(and I have, but your hands and ears are your judge...)

You realize he offers adamantium saddles as an upgrade? That's just one of many many things that isn't right about his mind...
Its funny its seems the only person who cares what ed roman says is, ed roman. Everybody else just rolls their eyes and moves on.

Many are perfectly happy with stock MIA strats.
Quote by David Collins
There are reliable sources of information and well reasoned opinions, then there are idiots and and quacks, then there's Ed Roman.

Going to a guitar forum and saying "according to Ed Roman", is like going to a medical forum and saying "according to L. Ron Hubbard..."

His criteria for reasoning are questionable, to put it modestly. Take what you hear on his site with a grain of salt, or perhaps a bit more...

LOL
To answer the question at hand, what should be changed about strats?

There are really just two major things:
- 6-point trems are lousy, but Fender has improved that aspect with 2-point trems on American Strats.
- I wish there was a little better fret access, an All Access Neck Joint would be an improvement. Other than that, the shape is very comfortable.

I won't discuss pickups because there is so much variation there, it's tough to even say what is "normal". I wire things differently on mine, but that's a very personal thing.
Only thing I would reli change about a strat is the neck heel, but I don't think that a design should be modded the hell out of to make it some ergo monster guitar type thing, but everything has faults, you can't please everyone.

An that ed roman sounds like a complete moron.
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
Neck heel / upper fret access (though it's not esssential)
Locking tuners
Nut
Wiring tone controls to neck and bridge instead of bridge and neck
Personally I think that the Strat's main downpoints are the trem system and electronic placement; that volume knob tends to get in my way. The 6-point trem system isn't that great compared to the Dual Fulcrum system you get on G&L Legacys, but then again I'm not much of a Tremolo fan. I still say the Fender Synchronised is the best, but fitting one of those onto a strat would eliminate the arm contour.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Quote by David Collins
Going to a guitar forum and saying "according to Ed Roman", is like going to a medical forum and saying "according to L. Ron Hubbard..."
lol. Nice use of image as well.

Quote by Invader Jim
Ed Roman is a legend in his own time mind.

Strat:
- Volume control is too close, gets in the way.
- No tone control on bridge = stupid.
- Stamped bridge saddles mean the height adjustment screws have to stand proud. Since this is where I rest the back of my picking hand, it's very uncomfortable. Upgraded saddles are a must.
- "Straight-pull" headstock is a joke. Marketing hype for a cheaper method of construction. String trees are just another place for friction to cause problems with tuning stability.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
It's funny that two of you mention the volume pot. I love where it is: perfectly placed for volume swells with my pinky.
See I have a habit of sticking my pinky out if I palm mute anything, and that can lead to unwanted volume changes.

Now the placement on a Jazzmaster, that's perfect.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
i think the wiring/controls are lacking, thats why i'm working on my own special one.
I prefer non-stamped saddles, but that's a purely aesthetic thing. Modern-style trems are my favourite. Other than that, I love my Strat. Her name is Jenny.

Also,
Quote by Invader Jim

R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
I prefer non-stamped saddles, but that's a purely aesthetic thing. Modern-style trems are my favourite. Other than that, I love my Strat. Her name is Jenny.

Also,

I have to think a name for my strat. I think Ill call her Lyla.
Mine was named for me by a friend. She also named my Charvel Lisa. No explanation for either, she said that was just "the right name". She's a bit weird.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Ed Roman is a legend in his own time mind.

Strat:
- Volume control is too close, gets in the way.
- No tone control on bridge = stupid.
- Stamped bridge saddles mean the height adjustment screws have to stand proud. Since this is where I rest the back of my picking hand, it's very uncomfortable. Upgraded saddles are a must.
- "Straight-pull" headstock is a joke. Marketing hype for a cheaper method of construction. String trees are just another place for friction to cause problems with tuning stability.

Wow, occasionally, I disagree with you, who knew?
(although yes, Ed Roman... wow, to spend a weekend in his brain...)

-Volume - that's what your pinky's for, just don't f$%k with it if you don't mean to.
-Tone on bridge? WHY? (although, I guess I'd rather just have 3 volumes...)
-I actually love the height screws. Maybe It's just habit, but it's weird without them.
-Straight headstock sucks, but can be remedied. Lockers with roller trees causes NO problems.
Quote by Rutch
-Volume - that's what your pinky's for, just don't f$%k with it if you don't mean to.
See, that's exactly the problem. Where my hand belongs in certain type of picking work I do, puts my pinky going right through the center of the volume knob. If they'd put the fucker a half-inch closer to the neck or closer to the bridge, I would be happy enough. Where it is now, just sux.

Quote by Rutch
-Tone on bridge? WHY? (although, I guess I'd rather just have 3 volumes...)
Bridge single on a SSS is just too friggin icepick in the forehead brittle. Dialing down the controls on the amp make it so you loose the highs you need on the neck. I'd rather have the ability to deal with it at the guitar, rather than reaching over to the amp all the time.

Quote by Rutch
-I actually love the height screws. Maybe It's just habit, but it's weird without them.
My ex was a mean annoying bitch. I loved her, too. Took a while, but that was one habit worth breaking.

Quote by Rutch
-Straight headstock sucks, but can be remedied. Lockers with roller trees causes NO problems.
Aye. Trees are a patch that needn't be necessary in the first place with a proper headstock. But the problem can be fixed.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Dec 24, 2009,
I read through some of the articles, the guy is saying that the modern MIA strats ain't even made out of Alder anymore, their made from poplar. WTF, is this guy on crack? My Squire is made from Alder, may be very low grade Alder, but it is Alder nevertheless. And the trem plate? I've never heard of "soft" steel, and if it is soft steel, its still harder than most metals. If its hard enough to stop a bullet, then its not "soft". But I do agree that the saddles, tuners, and nut suck on most strats. I think this guy thinks that all Fenders should be metal guitars. There's a reason the pickups are supported by the pickguard and not by the body, there's a reason they use a bolt on neck, there's a reason they use Alder/Ash, there's a reason they use the type of trem. It all adds to that classic Fender tone we all love.
^He also says that they're swimming pool-routed, and basically calls out some rather famous luthiers (I remember Suhr, off the top of my head) as "assemblers".

Rutch, a weekend in his head would not be nearly enough time.

As for the Strat, I'm considering going the whole concentric knobs route, so I can have a V/T for every pickup. Combine that with three mini-toggles in place of a 5-way, and not only will I have a versatile guitar, but also the most cluttered wiring cavity ever.

Quote by divinorum69
I have to think a name for my strat. I think Ill call her Lyla.

Omg. I need to name mine.
Quote by bv310
^He also says that they're swimming pool-routed, and basically calls out some rather famous luthiers (I remember Suhr, off the top of my head) as "assemblers".

Rutch, a weekend in his head would not be nearly enough time.

As for the Strat, I'm considering going the whole concentric knobs route, so I can have a V/T for every pickup. Combine that with three mini-toggles in place of a 5-way, and not only will I have a versatile guitar, but also the most cluttered wiring cavity ever.

That gave me nightmares, I do not kid. Fúcking horrible,
Quote by Invader Jim
i call mine Bitchtits. cant think of anything better. my peavey horizon is called Erika because that's the name of the chick that haunts it.

WTF? You should call the ghost busters or something, unless the chick is hot, then just get a camera.
I don't know, I think Ed has some good points about Gibson guitars and large music retailers. Profit margin on Gibson and PRS guitars is ridiculous, too.

I think Strats are great, especially if you look at the price/quality ratio on Squiers. The Affinities are fantastic for $150, and the new Classic Vibe ones are almost as good as the MIM strats for much less. I love my MIJ strat, though, I really want more MIJ Fenders.

Edit: Oh, and I totally understand why Ed's not a popular guy, but it seems like people really hate the dude. What has drawn so much ire to him?
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Last edited by GravyFish at Dec 25, 2009,
there is only one thing i have a problem with on strats, and that is the tip on the 5 way switch.............mine almost always fall off. then, i gouge my picking hand open on it when i switch pickup's mid song......it hurts........a lot.....that shit is SHARP.
and i don't really have a problem with swimmiing pools.......course i love to experiment with pup positions and types on the same guitar.....but i don't like routing things too much.....
also, i don't like ed roman.
he is, to put it quite simply, an arrogant pretentious prick
my motto with guitars, is "to each his own" and thats the way it should be.
Quote by GravyFish
Edit: Oh, and I totally understand why Ed's not a popular guy, but it seems like people really hate the dude. What has drawn so much ire to him?

My main thing with him is how he rips gallery images from other guitar companies' websites and put them on his own, claiming the guitars to be his designs. Karl Sanders' signature Warrior Kxk come to mind, as well as truckloads of other fancy looking boutique guitars.
Yea the stock vol control is my biggest bitch about strats. Even somebody like warmoth does it. I got a rear routed body from them a while back and the edge of vol knob would rub on the edge of the pickup ring, thats gonna be a little to close. Being rear routed not a way to relocate it. My strats Ive moved the vols down and forward makes a big difference.

The staggered tuners does solve the problem of string trees. Or like my carvin neck angling it back.

Ed romans problem is hes one of those people who dont understand that it is possible for them to be wrong. Every word they speak is the absolute truth. You either take what they say as the truth or are labeled as an idiot. It is funny to read some of his articles as he refers to himself in the third person.
^...or the articles where he's coming down hard on some aspect on guitar building, like set necks, which he believes eat tone like a forest fire when it comes to PRS or Gibson, and how much he prefers bolt-ons, but when Ed Roman glues a neck it will be as solid as Excalibur in the anvil and be the perfect way to transfer tone from neck to body and therefore leaps and bounds better than a bolt-on, which he then in yet another article will claim is really the ultimate. His site is just full of contradictions which are only meant to make popular brands look bad in comparison to his phonebook-esque list of Ed Roman sub-brands.
Most of his bullshit improvements were either aesthetic, or just a case of upgrading stock parts. He didn't change the essence of a Strat, and nothing he says will stand against Strats probably being the most played electrics in the world. They're iconic, they made doublecuts popular, they give a tone which is pretty unique, and they're actually a pleasure to play. Sure, you're unlikely to get blown away, but you do get consistency. It's a workhorse guitar, not a piece of art.

I think you'd have trouble finding a more perfect guitar.
It doesn't have out of phase or humbuckers with split/parallel on it. Thats what I don't like about strats.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"