Page 1 of 2
EDIT: Someone bought the SLP, so now I'm just looking at the 2205.

Both of these amps are for sale on the local craigslist here, and I was wondering which I should buy... it looks like the 2205 might be the best choice for me, but I don't know if I want to pass up on the Super Lead...

I play 70s/80s hard rock and heavy metal in the vein of AC/DC, Judas Priest, KISS, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses etc, plus, I also like to play thrash like Megadeth, Testament, old Metallica and Slayer sometimes, so it would seem like the JCM 800 would be the best choice since it has more gain, but I've heard that the 2205 doesn't sound as good as the single channel 800s? But then again that's probably one of those tone-snobbery myths.

And the Super Lead seems like it would be a really good amp, but I don't know how good it would do for the higher-gain 80s stuff... but then again, maybe with a decent OD pedal it could handle it? But then AGAIN, the Super Lead doesn't have a master volume, so I'd probably have to get an attenuator to get saturated gain sounds out of it. Budget isn't an issue since I'm willing to spend up to $2k, but still, the JCM800 is only $800 compared to the hefty $1700 for the Super Lead, so that of course is also making me lean to the JCM800. Besides, do I really want to spend that much on an amp if it isn't even suited for the music I play?

So, right now, I think the 2205 would seem like a better choice, but I just wanted to consult some more experienced people, since this will be my first tube amp. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by CaptDin at Dec 24, 2009,
Get the Super Lead and mod that sonofabitch. You'll never look back, I think you'd be suprised at that gain you can achieve with that amazing amplifier.

EDIT:

Most of the genres you listed, the bands used modded Plexi', JCM etc.

-A master volume mod would be great because with both of the volume controls on the Super Lead, its ungodly loud.
-I'm not sure but if there is a reverb tank in the Super Lead, you could scrap that space and mod an extra tube to the pre-amp allowing more gain. Slash used a hot rodded Plexi or other Marshall model, I forget. But by doing this it gives you more gain. Which is what Slash used on Appetite.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Dec 22, 2009,
I'd try them both out and then decide. The 2205 and 2210 get somewhat of an undeserved bad rep, they're pretty good amps. Even if volume is an issue you can have a good master volume installed into the super lead easily and inexpensively by any decent amp tech.
I'd get the Super Lead, though I'm immensely happy with my single-channel 2204 and have liked the tone better than a bunch of Super Leads I've tried since purchasing it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Hmm, I guess I could mod the Super Lead... but then again, I wouldn't really know where to take it to get it modded locally. I guess I could send it somewhere and mod it via the Internet, but that seems like kind of a hassle...
Every Super Lead is different. That one might not necessarily be any good. When they are good, however, they're amazing... case and point Van Halen's bone stock SLP (Variac and pedals/reamping etc not withstanding)

I say try them both out if you can.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Honestly, the 800 would do all of those things damn well - perhaps not as well as the single channels do, but really without A/Bing one I can't tell you just how much difference the diode clipping makes for the lower gain stuff.

I've always wanted a 4-holer but, as I said, my 800 is ridiculous. Just make sure you play the 2205 first and be certain it has the sound you want. Paying that much for a Super Lead only to spent a ton more money modding it seems a bit silly when you can have the 800 for far, far less and be 95% of the way there.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^^^I bet you can find someone in Nashville to do mods pretty easily. Try craigslist for that too.

I vote for the 800 but then my amp is modded 800 clone basically.

Gear 1 = Plexi
Gear 2 = JCM 800
Gear 3 = hot rodded JCM 800
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Honestly, the 800 would do all of those things damn well - perhaps not as well as the single channels do, but really without A/Bing one I can't tell you just how much difference the diode clipping makes for the lower gain stuff.

I've always wanted a 4-holer but, as I said, my 800 is ridiculous. Just make sure you play the 2205 first and be certain it has the sound you want. Paying that much for a Super Lead only to spent a ton more money modding it seems a bit silly when you can have the 800 for far, far less and be 95% of the way there.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, why spend $1.7k on an amp that doesn't even nail the sound I want when I can get an amp that is possibly perfect as-is for $900 cheaper?
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
Get the Super Lead and mod that sonofabitch. You'll never look back, I think you'd be suprised at that gain you can achieve with that amazing amplifier.

EDIT:

Most of the genres you listed, the bands used modded Plexi', JCM etc.

-A master volume mod would be great because with both of the volume controls on the Super Lead, its ungodly loud.
-I'm not sure but if there is a reverb tank in the Super Lead, you could scrap that space and mod an extra tube to the pre-amp allowing more gain. Slash used a hot rodded Plexi or other Marshall model, I forget. But by doing this it gives you more gain. Which is what Slash used on Appetite.

That sounds like a good idea actually. I already emailed the guy with the 800, and I'm gonna go over to try it out soon hopefully. But if I don't like it, I'll go with the Super Lead. I really like the idea of having a personalized "hot-rod" Super Lead now that I think about it, and I probably could find a place to get it modded somewhere in this town.
Before you make a decision, I'm posting some clips tomorrow of SCOM and Paradise City played with my strat (Les Paul is having some parts changed out at the moment) and you can compare them to the 800 you tried out.

As Raijouta excellently pointed out, SLP's are very hit and miss when it comes to quality, so the one you're going to test could easily be an unspectacular dud.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Before you make a decision, I'm posting some clips tomorrow of SCOM and Paradise City played with my strat (Les Paul is having some parts changed out at the moment) and you can compare them to the 800 you tried out.

As Raijouta excellently pointed out, SLP's are very hit and miss when it comes to quality, so the one you're going to test could easily be an unspectacular dud.

a.) Okay, I'll do that.

b.) Yeah, and plus, the original logo is missing, it's been replaced with a big JMP/JCM-style one, so it's not like it's in perfect condition, and even though the guy says it's all original besides that, he could be wrong.
Oh dude the SLP for sure. IMO if you find a good example of one, its the best sounding amp ever made. it can do nearly any style of music
Well, like I said I'm probably gonna try out both of them and then decide. But again I do like the idea of having my own personal modded SLP, since I know a lot of people like Paul Gilbert and George Lynch used modded SLPs. But if anyone has any more advice feel free to share...
I'd go the superlead, as it's not original you should have no guild in modding it. the JCM800's effect loop is almost unusable and the clean channel sucks. The overdrive is fantastic, but not on par with a 2203/JMP. You will need a boost for heavier styles of music though.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Actually I think I'm definitely leaning toward the SLP now... I"m sure I could find someone who knew what they were doing to mod it, adding a preamp tube and a master volume doesn't sound like it'd be too complicated of a mod.... but still, who knows? I'm still gonna try the 2205.
Quote by CaptDin
Actually I think I'm definitely leaning toward the SLP now... I"m sure I could find someone who knew what they were doing to mod it, adding a preamp tube and a master volume doesn't sound like it'd be too complicated of a mod.... but still, who knows? I'm still gonna try the 2205.

you can get a David Bray mod done which will either be
a) master volume
b) mater and gain increase
c) a LOT of gain increase
d) all of the above.

have a listen on youtube, they sound fantastic
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
you can get a David Bray mod done which will either be
a) master volume
b) mater and gain increase
c) a LOT of gain increase
d) all of the above.

have a listen on youtube, they sound fantastic

What? No love for Roccaforte?!

Quote by CaptDin

FIRST, you need to check if the Super Lead has already been modded in any way other than the logo. It may even have a different transformer in it by now. Before you plop down $1700, you NEED TO KNOW exactly what you're getting with a 37 yr old amp. That being said, if it's pretty much stock (some caps & resistors will likely have been replaced at some point), I would absolutely leave it stock, & use a load box/re-amp setup to get the cranked tone at any volume (like EVH did). I use a re-amp rig with a non-master volume plexi-style amp, & it will destroy anything else . A few other guys here use re-amp rigs, so pm me if you want to know more. No need to mod anything.
BUT---a nice JCM800 would probably get awful close to what you're looking for. Tough decision, for sure, but a stock '72 Super Lead would be an investment piece to some degree (an early 800 would also, but they're much more common).

Edit: ^Bubb, I was actually lucky enough to hear a Roccaforte live earlier this year, & they are excellent for sure. As good or better than the Metros, & better than some of the real vintage Super Leads I've heard.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Dec 23, 2009,
Seeing as how EVH got his sound from a cheep guitar and a reamped Superlead cranked to 10, yes i'd go for the Superlead plexi. With the Plexi you don't really want a gain knob because the good stuff is when the powertubes start to overdrive, and getting that will be loud, but with a loadbox/reamp setup you can get that without killing yourself.

Like riffhog said, chech the transformers, i think the OT might be near dying or something, but you never know how tough a 30+ year old amp can be.
I would go for the Plexi, and mod it.
Andddd whoever said EVH used a cheap guitar was incorrect, homemade does not always mean cheap.
Quote by SaulnierE
Andddd whoever said EVH used a cheap guitar was incorrect, homemade does not always mean cheap.

His guitar cost less than $250 to make and put together.

EVH himself called it a "piece of shit", so...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by SaulnierE

The only decent things on that original Frankenstein was the neck & pickup. PAF original pickups were relatively cheap back then too, & he butchered a few.
Everything else was scrap parts that he scrounged up .
Like Raijouta said, EVH even called that guitar a POS, even though it was set up to play like a dream, I'm sure
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
^The maple neck and ash body came from Charvel, he got the body cheap because it had a knot on it. But yeah, anyway....
Quote by CaptDin
^The maple neck and ash body came from Charvel, he got the body cheap because it had a knot on it. But yeah, anyway....

I suggest you not argue with this man on EVH matters. See my sig? switch the band's name to EVH and user name to Riffhog and you got what I'm trying to say here...
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
^Hey, I wasn't arguing with him, that's just what I heard. Besides, I'm not asking what equipment EVH used... I'm trying to decide between an amp that's probably good enough for what I want without modding it, or an amp that is possibly holy-grail material for the music I play, if I were to mod it... it's hard to explain my mental dilemma here, but it's killing me. What really worries me is that someone'll buy the SLP.... the 2205 has been up there for a month, so I'm assuming nobody besides me wants it. But the SLP feels like more of a "limited-time only" deal.
Quote by CaptDin
^Hey, I wasn't arguing with him, that's just what I heard. Besides, I'm not asking what equipment EVH used... I'm trying to decide between an amp that's probably good enough for what I want without modding it, or an amp that is possibly holy-grail material for the music I play, if I were to mod it... it's hard to explain my mental dilemma here, but it's killing me. What really worries me is that someone'll buy the SLP.... the 2205 has been up there for a month, so I'm assuming nobody besides me wants it. But the SLP feels like more of a "limited-time only" deal.

Sounds like a great opportunity to get the 800 dirt cheap. I'd low ball the guy with the 800 and try it out, and see what kind of a deal you can get. In the meantime try out the SLP, and just go with your gut. Either the deal of the 800 or the sound of the SLP should become too good to pass up. Hopefully not both.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by stykerwolf

Like riffhog said, chech the transformers, i think the OT might be near dying or something, but you never know how tough a 30+ year old amp can be.

My Drakes are 29 years old and perfect. Old amps are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for.

Okay, I just heard from the guy selling the SLP that someone already bought it. :/ I knew it would go super fast. I guess I should just go for the 800 after all....

^^Yeah, maybe I should try lowballing with the guy with the JCM800. Perhaps offer him $600 or so?
I got mine for 650, so yeah, try 600 and see where that leads you.

get the superlead, then boost it. you will die from the awesome toanzz
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
You obviously didn't read the part like 5 posts back where it's been sold already.

no, i did not haha.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
I just noticed someone selling a 2203 Reissue. I'm sort of starting to consider that, but I've heard that Marshall reissues aren't the greatest.
They're not. Incorrect parts, poor wiring and changed circuits (or so I've heard)...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
The reissues suck.

Besides, why would you pay 3x the price for an inferior product when you can have the awesome original?

Eh, I guess you're right. But of course, this isn't a 2203, it's a 2205...
^ True, but a reissue 2203 doesn't sound like a real 2203 anyways, so any comparison between any of them is a bit pointless.

The 2205 is only very slightly different from a 2203 circuit, the main difference is the added gain from the diode clipping. Anybody who runs a boosted 2203 is going to sound pretty much the same (most metal bands).

Besides, the price is definitely right if you can lowball him a bit. Try it out and see if it's a good one then make him an offer.

yeah, I definitely am gonna go and try it out, but I emailed him last night and he hasn't emailed me back, so of course I'm starting to get pretty damn anxious.
Page 1 of 2