http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujgvOSrNjnI

I wasn't wild about this song but my friend really wanted to do it. I think it turned out well.

I'll crit anything in return.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
she cant sing very well dude...she goes in an out of her range...playing is solid aside form a few mistake with your dynamics...i'd say a re-do was in order...
White/Cream Faded 1966 Stratocaster
100 Watt All-Tube JVM410H
1960 Lead Cab-B
-------------------------------------------------
The guitar was solid, but at some points lacked good rythem, but for the most part was good. As for the singing, it was definetly obvious that she was a good singer, she had excellent trills in her voice, but...lacked serious power. Dont get me wrong shes a really good singer, but I think she would sound even better if she added power to it. Im not gonna give advice since I believe she is a wayy better singer than me, but my two cents is if she added more power/emotion to her singing, this cover would be awesome. But good job nonetheless, you did your part well.

Crit mine?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1250561

Thanks.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by preludetowar
The guitar was solid, but at some points lacked good rythem, but for the most part was good. As for the singing, it was definetly obvious that she was a good singer, she had excellent trills in her voice, but...lacked serious power. Dont get me wrong shes a really good singer, but I think she would sound even better if she added power to it. Im not gonna give advice since I believe she is a wayy better singer than me, but my two cents is if she added more power/emotion to her singing, this cover would be awesome. But good job nonetheless, you did your part well.

Crit mine?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1250561

Thanks.

Yeah, I tell her to sing more powerfully a lot haha. She's a choir girl, a state choir girl but a choir girl none the less. I show her all of these comments and she understands yours. She's trying to get voice lessons to become a more powerful singer.

I'll be critting yours momentarily.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Yeah I agree with what preludetowar said... she has a great tone, but... the rhythm seems off in some places... dragging a bit. A lot more noticeable in the third verse. She just needs to get in the groove a bit more... it sounds a bit too staccato. It would sound better if it a little smoother, if that makes sense.
c4c - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1251235
Last edited by boxcarguy07 at Dec 26, 2009,
The main chords/riff were played kind of stale, but the little lead parts were well done. Good work with the video also. Solid rhythm playing overall.

The singer has a good, clear voice and can sing on key, but needs to work on the delivery of the words. Words need to be delivered so that they are clear but also she needs to watch the way she ends words and uses consenants (sp). For example, "I'm Sure" needs to be sung more like "I'm Shawwww(r)" with the R barely hinted at. As it stands, it's a little bit too pronounced and it is distracting (think Garth Brooks). Doing these things can help make the performance a little more emotional as well. Just listen to the way Jason sings it!

Also, she sounds nervous- she has a lovely voice and needs to some out of her shell on some parts, particularly higher notes where you can hear her holding back a little.

c4c:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1251075
Isolation is a gift. All the others are a test of your endurance.
Last edited by kalaloch131$ at Dec 26, 2009,
Wow.......that video moving around so much was giving me motion sickness....haha!
Seriously though....that was pretty good. The rhythm guitar was pretty tight for the most part, there were sometimes when it went off, but nothing too noticable.
The singer has great pitch and tone, but needs to put more emotion and presence into it.
Don't hold back..........

c4c..........
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1236792
Hey,

Yeah as people have said its pretty solid guitaring. Perhaps a bit light on the rhythm strokes which gave it an almost high pitched chalk board scratch feel? If that makes sense...could just be the mics.

As others have said her voice is good no denying that. However, there were two, possibly three, things that I found could do with improving with some simple adjustments.

The first is more a personal preference - consistency of diction. You say she's a choir girl so it would make sense that she has good diction however theres a constant clash of very almost over-pronouced words that then are mixed with the under-pronouced style of Mraz. I think the under lying thing here is confidence of making the piece her own. She has to sing as her self and clearly she sings with brilliant articulation so she shouldnt then go into mimicking cause thats not her...

The second, as mentioned by others, is the "power" as they call it. I don't think its power as such but instead a lack on connection and support from the diaphram. I heard a few snatched breaths which would lead me to think the breath placement is slightly off. By moving the breath placement into the diaphram more to fill it and then using the stomach muscles to push the diaphram the sound will be greatly improved.

Which leads to the the third which would be effectivly combated by looking the second and first point. Someone mentioned the trills in her voice which sometimes sounded good and others very weak. I believe this to be the lack of confidence in what she was singing made notes hit and miss and that with a lack of connection and support caused it to sound wobbly both in dynamics and tuning.

Those are really little things tho and the piece is still very nice to listen to. You should definatly be proud!

C4C?: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1198617
@ Krazy Killian: Great crit. Thanks.

A good deal of this problem is because we didn't rehearse very much. That's my fault because I got impatient after 6 takes. I'll pass your comments onto her but she's well aware of these things haha. I had to fight her to put it up on youtube and fight her even harder to put it up here.
Another problem for her was the range. She wanted to sing it where I put it but I think she could have done with putting it a little higher. She's a soprano and some of those notes were low enough that she had trouble getting a...base under them so to speak.

Thanks for the comments none-the-less! I'll be listening to yours momentarily.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by DuhSpesoBoyz
guitar playing was great. singing seemed really rushed in spots. The Do-do part was weaker than others. pretty good overall. maybe rehearse some more next time.
crit mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22727593#post22727593

Yeah, she refuses to let me upload another video until we rehearse more haha. I'll do yours in a second.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Not too bad, The guitars are sloppy at the start but you recovered 7/10

Vocals 5/10

One thing that really bugs is her pronunciation of certain words such as the "I'm" in the phrase "I'm yours" lyrics, she says "aym" She's more or less talking with melody.

She just needs to not be so nervous but some more power into her voice.