Page 1 of 2
What progression of bands should I take. I know most of you didn't just one day start to like Death Metal and stuff, because frankly it sounds like shit to my ears right now.

I recognize that I need to progressively listen to heavier music though. So what bands should I take on next? Right now the heaviest bands I listen to are Metallica, Deftones, Iron Maiden, Tool, Dream Theatre, etc. What next?
Personally I basically went from disturbed who i listened to casually to metallica who i thought were gods and then i made a hop to slayer and although i liked their guitar, back then tom arayas screaming was horribly horrifying for me so i moved on to children of bodom who i still love most despite many other awesome/br00tal bands ive gotten into over time
although laihos screaming at first still sounded a bit annoying to me, you gotta get used to it one way or another and you suddenly love it? idk, if it just doesnt work maybe the genres just not for you
From that kind of stuff, I moved onto the "mainstream" metal bands. You know, the kind of bands that everyone knows about even if you're not into metal.
e.g. Disturbed and stuff like that. Sit on that sort of stuff until you're comfortable with it.
Then just progress like that. Find the next heaviest thing from what you've got at the moment and listen to that until you're cool with it.
Just repeat that pattern.
listen to doom metal, bands like electric wizard, candlemass, pentagram or maybe you should move into death metal like cannibal corpse or even dethklok, thats how i started listening to death metal
Quote by tyler_j
This ought to shut you up

I now have a lolstack, therefore I shall stop my rampage!
i've been listening to bands like that for years and others just a bit more heavier, but i still can't listen to death metal.
Are you ok with screaming? you dont necessarily need to be but it sure helps to be able to listen to alot of bands. You can always listen to prog metal since you enjoy dream theater and Tool, i recommend between the Buried and me, but they scream as well, though not all the time. I used to think death metal and stuff like that was talentless dropped tunings and strumming real fast and reckless screaming but i gave it a chance and listened to the entire songs (which most people dont do when "sampling" a band). I also used to HATE screaming, then my friend recommended Lamb Of God (great band) and i listened to the songs alot for their guitar and drum work, and just eventually got used to the screaming accept, now i just love that stuff.... yupp
I would recommend Rust in Peace and Countdown to extinction by Megadeth and then maybe move towards Peace Sells, then So Far, So Good... So What? and then Killing is My Business. Kinda going more and more to its darker/thrashier music.

Also check out Pantera and possibly Opeth (considering you're into the prog/dream theater-ish). Actually, Opeth would be pretty good cause they also have a lot of folk/heavy metal stuff in their songs, not just full one growling, etc.
Nevermore is a good band that may help with the transition. Amazing progressive/thrash metal band.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
First, I will define "extreme metal" as anything "heavier" than Slayer's old albums.

I got into the more "extreme" bands through Swallow the Sun, though I don't think it's the best path to take, lol.

Here is the song that got me hooked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfCAsq9Gbo

WARNING! YOUTUBE SHITS ALL OVER THE VIDEO! THE SONG SOUNDS MUCH BETTER ON THE ACTUAL CD.

I wouldn't really try to ease my way into the extreme metal world. I would just start off with some old-school "extreme" metal, and then move on to it's incarnations. That's not to say you should listen to Darkthrone's Under a Funeral Moon right away, but definitely start off with some of the older more established bands.

Here are some youtube links to some good starting points:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K96U9RyfDE4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3ACQKqpBQY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Xgouup5hA

Cheers, and remember that metal encompasses much more than the "br00tal" stuff everyone talks about.
For me at least, Melodic death, like Arch Enemy and Dethklok, is a bit more accessible than most other extreme metal. Mastodon is always a good place to start for screamy metal, altho more so with their Leviathan cd than Blood Mountain.
Grunge bands -> stoner rock like kyuss and fu manchu -> Metal like High on fire and shrinebuilder.

that's how I did it.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
I already listen to Disturbed, Godsmack, etc.(if it's nu-metal I probably have heard it) I'll check out Slayer and Kreator since they don't seem too different from early Metalica.
Try Opeth's Ghost Reveries and Deliverance. Also, Slayer's Hell Awaits and Reign in Blood. Some Children of Bodom songs, such as Hate Me!, Living Dead Beat, Blooddrunk, Needled 24/7, Downfall and Red Light in My Eyes. From that, try Lamb of God (Sacrament, Ashes or Wrath) and Machine Head (First two and last two albums).
Some earlier Megadeth(Peace Sells..., Countdown to Extinction)
Opeth(Blackwater Park, Still Life)
Meshuggah(Nothing, Obzen)
try out some Atheist man.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
As was mentioned, Nevermore is an amazing transition band that can help you appreciate the heavier side of metal more. My progression was Sabbath/Maiden/Priest to Blind Guardian and Amon Amarth, and then stuff like 3 Inches of Blood, then Opeth, Xasthur, Immortal, and then much heavier and obscure stuff. Try the aforementioned line of progression that I went through, and maybe you will get yourself captivated by the genre of metal.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
You're treating this like it's some sort of heirarchic ladder that you need to climb.

Get some albums by some bands that you're interested in, and see what you like.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
If you don't like it, I see no reason in trying to make yourself like it :S]

But I'll recommend Soilwork, Pantera, Mors Principium Est, and Arsis
Quote by dead-fish
You're treating this like it's some sort of heirarchic ladder that you need to climb.

Get some albums by some bands that you're interested in, and see what you like.

Eh. It ends up being a hierarchic ladder anyway. I could definitely not handle Hate Eternal in 8th grade, but I really loved Sabbath, Maiden, and Priest. It wasn't until I got used to Amon Amarth that I appreciated Death Metal. Same with Immortal for Black Metal, etc.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I don't see anything wrong with trying to get into a style of music that you've never listened to much before. As a musician, it's good to listen to as many different kinds of music as possible, to get new ideas and perspectives on how to write your own music. That's a lot easier to do if you like a lot of different kinds of music.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Mastodon.
FOR SALE, PM me offers!:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifer - 9/10 Condition
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cabinet - 9/10 Condition
Jerry Cantrell Wah - 10/10
Dimebag Wah - 9/10

7-STRING/ERG LEGION.
Quote by darkstar2466
Eh. It ends up being a hierarchic ladder anyway. I could definitely not handle Hate Eternal in 8th grade, but I really loved Sabbath, Maiden, and Priest. It wasn't until I got used to Amon Amarth that I appreciated Death Metal. Same with Immortal for Black Metal, etc.

Agreed, but I didn't try to train my ears to like something so that eventually I would be able to listen to it and enjoy it.

At some point, I just didn't mind not being able to sing along at the chorus after only one hearing. I didn't try to work my way to that point.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Quote by dead-fish
Agreed, but I didn't try to train my ears to like something so that eventually I would be able to listen to it and enjoy it.

At some point, I just didn't mind not being able to sing along at the chorus after only one hearing. I didn't try to work my way to that point.

Yeah. It all comes down to whether you enjoy it or not. With metal, bands you dislike now might end up being your favorites a few years down the line. It's stupid to do stuff like forcing yourself to listen to only death metal for a week to try and like it.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Every kind of music is able to grow on you. I didn't like jazz much the first time I heard it, nor did I like electronic, or hip hop, or anything that didn't sound like the mainstream.

You listen to it. You don't hate it enough to completely dismiss it? You give it another shot down the road. And another, and another, untill you form a proper opinion about it, be it good or bad.

This is also why I hardly delete any of the music I download. I give a lot of stuff I didn't like at first a second chance, unless it was something truly terrible (like Boris' Amplifier Worship. Ugh...).
As everyone else has said, give Opeth a shot.

Actually, first though, I'd say give Anubis Gate a shot, then Opeth, then from there, you can go down progressive, death, and black metal all in similar roads. After Opeth I'd say try out Cormorant, In Mourning, and Ikuinen Kaamos.... Then maybe like, Drudkh, and othe Black Metal. [This coming from a black metal fan, bear in mind]

Swallow the Sun is also a good one, like TK said.
I got into metal by listening to the music behind the vocal after a while i adjusted to the vocals and now love them.
Start with bands like tool and slowly get through to faster stuff, check out the reccomendation thread and listen to stuff from every genre it will help heaps.
but my recc's are:
Tool -> Metallica -> Slayer -> Machine Head -> Opeth -> Atheist -> (anything)
If you dont like something just dont listen to it, you shouldnt have to force yourself to listen to music.
I actually just threw myself in there without any idea of progression into the heavier bands. I naturally liked the more mainstream bands like Metallica and Pantera. When I was told that Cryptopsy's None So Vile was ace, I instantly downloaded it. I hated it then and couldn't understand for the life of me why anyone would like it. I heard some other bands like Nile and Obituary and hated it all.

I can't say exactly what elements combined to click, but I do know that:

A) It resulted from me continuously reading UG posts and thinking "Why are these people so adamant about releases like None So Vile that have no semblance of melody or cohesion about them". It was from sheer curiosity that I threw these records on from time to time. Or rather, I tried to get through a song or two. But I'd end up turning off the song midway.

B) Some wonderful day I was listening to my iPod in the wee hours of the night trying to fall asleep when Slit Your Guts by Cryptopsy came on. Now, something happened this time where that boingy bass line just hit me like a brick wall. All of a sudden I was thinking "This is savage. This is brutal. This is what I have been missing from my pansy ass metal". And it was that groove that got me realizing that a lot of death metal is about groove. It is about you feeling the rhythm.

As for "preparation", I think it's unnecessary. If you're truly willing, you won't need any. You'll immerse yourself in the underground right away. And if only out of sheer curiosity (which may involve forcing yourself, but not out of principle of forcing yourself to understand the music itself, but out of forcing yourself to understand why the metal fans like what they like and the curiosity surrounding such a repulsive and macabre genre). It happened like that with black metal for me as well.

However, I could give a hint and say that the extreme bands employing a fair share of melody helped me get accustomed to the nature of more pure death metal bands. For instance, Dark Tranquility's The Gallery and At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul. Dare I say it, even Children of Bodom's Follow the Reaper. I loved the music of these bands but could never understand the growls. It was only after I got into proper death metal that I accepted and even began to enjoy growls.

Ultimately, it's up to you. If you've got a deep drive to understand this commonly overlooked genre, then kudos to you. If not, then don't sweat it. It's also been said that metal is not for the weak of heart. However, it's not a competition. In the end, you like what you like.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Dec 23, 2009,
Honestly, I used to listen to Crown Of Horns only because I though the intro was ridiculously badass. Glad I did and was able to get used to it.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
contraband you have a habit of typing the LONGEST posts ever... i respect you for that
Quote by fumb duck
contraband you have a habit of typing the LONGEST posts ever... i respect you for that

I am humbled by your compliments. However, I only type long comments out of boredom and the inability to package my ideas into some more compact form. Moreover and in addition to the boredom thingomajig, I figure going into a little more detail than usual might actually be useful to the TS. Whether it's useful or not is a different story I just type and hopefully somebody reads. Ha.
I've found Jesus
We get it, you're bored, fine...
Here is what I started on: (hopefully it helps)

Dragonforce
kataklysm
ozzy
black sabbath
metalica
slayer
megadeath
deathklock
Don't ask and I wont !*Censored*!
Page 1 of 2