Every time I think, I have come up with something original, I feel like I've heard it before.

I play certain stuffto some people, and the say the same thing: "That sounds so familiar". I find myself unable to come up with anything truly original.

whenever I'm playing my instrument and I have one of those "Oohh, that sounds good. I should try to make a song with this chord pattern or this melody or whatever" moment, it turns out I feel it sounds good becuase it's something I've heard before.
I could see where your coming from it has happened to me before.
I think as long as you know that you didn't rip it off some song and used the riff and or just changed it up a bit, I think you should be fine.
Remember there is only so many notes on a guitar and only a handful that you will actually use so dont be too hard on your self.
Maybe you're just using common chord progressions?

I, IV, V or ii, V, I type stuff?

Start putting in some weird kind of stuff that doesn't immediately come to mind. Stuff that you need to work out.
Quote by iamsomebody
Every time I think, I have come up with something original, I feel like I've heard it before.

I play certain stuffto some people, and the say the same thing: "That sounds so familiar". I find myself unable to come up with anything truly original.

whenever I'm playing my instrument and I have one of those "Oohh, that sounds good. I should try to make a song with this chord pattern or this melody or whatever" moment, it turns out I feel it sounds good becuase it's something I've heard before.

so? how many songs do you think use the 12 bar blues? pretty much every blues song (obviously) and many rock songs (or a variation on it). every progression has been used already. but you dont need to come up with something completely unheard of for it to be original. sometimes just changing the melody on top can change the sound of the song. maybe speed it up, slow it down, put it in a new key, add a bridge, change the rhythm, finger pick/dont finger pick (depending), etc...

maybe look into some jazz for some new chord and progression ideas? try using key changes or outside chords to slightly alter the song? theres tons of stuff you can do to change a song. its actually good in my opinion to start off with a known song and then make your own from there. i do it all the time. i find a song that has a feel i want and then switch things up until i have something different but maintains the same kind of feel.
Good composers borrow, great composers steal. Everything is derived from something else. Over time your original stuff will start to take on your personallity. Keep writing.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Truth be told, you're not going to write something completely original. I don't think anyone in musical history could, since we're all a product of what we've heard and learnt. Not even 600 hundred years ago, when composers weren't as common as they are today. If you feel that your songs are too recognisable, perhaps you should expand your musical influences? Listen to some swing jazz or hip hop or baroque classical music or whatever.

Anyway, the only part of your song that needs to be mostly original is the melody. Everything else can be partially plagiarised.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.