Hai GUISSSSSSSSSE!!

Haha, anyway, finally figured out the combination of pickups I want for my axe and thought I would share! Maybe get insight as to what you all think.

I want to change the sound of my strat to something a little more warm -- something that will cover a lot of ground from some blues to rock/hard rock.

The sounds I primarily want are the more contemporary rock sounds like Foo Fighters, Weezer, Blinnk 182 and more classic/hard rock like AC/DC, VH, etc.

I have a HT-5, and an alder strat with a rosewood fretboard and a vintage 2 point trem

In the bridge will be a Duncan Custom Custom and in the neck a 59. Both will have 4 conductors so I can tap them and also use them with my middle (standard single coil) pickup that came with my 2001 (I think) MIA strat.

Opinions? Rants? Flames?

Let me know UG, for I love your input.
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
Should work ok...

You can also consider using 250k volume pots instead of the normal 500k volume pots if you want a warmer sound.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
If I use the 250k will I be able to coil tap? I thought you couldn't with the 250s?
Quote by sixstringedmatt
If I use the 250k will I be able to coil tap? I thought you couldn't with the 250s?

It's just a matter of whether it's a push-pull pot or not. Don't think whether it's 250 or 500 would make a difference.
depends how you want to coil tap. you can buy pots with a push/pull switch, or add a different switch altogether. many options with the strat.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I'd have imagined that coil tapping would be a matter of the pup windings.

Also, I'm not certain, but I don't think SD pups come wound for coil-tapping.

Are talking about coil tapping (reducing the number of winds) or coil-splitting (deactivating one of the magnets)?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
My word usage is wrong -- splitting. I want to go from bucker to single coil.
Quote by sixstringedmatt
My word usage is wrong -- splitting. I want to go from bucker to single coil.

Then its just a matter of getting a 250k volume pot with a DPDT... which are available.

You can coil split with a 250K volume pot.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Nice to know!

Question for those out there -- most reviews I have read really praise the CC in a strat, but is this with the 250k or 500k pots? Anyone know?
I'd try it first with a 500k, then go lower if you feel like it's too bright. The CC has an alnico II which has slightly rolled off highs to begin with so you may be able to get away with it in a strat.
I have the Distortion in there now and the treble is too much already with a 500k, I know the customcustom is a different beast but Ill try out the 500k then go down!

Thanks!