AGAIN WITH ONE OF THESE THREADS ASKING FOR SUGGESTIONS. What would we do without you UG?

Anyway im looking for a low wattage (1-15W) tube amp for classic rock and blues. Im not very sure for a budget but lets say about 500 USD. ive been throwing around the idea of a Fender blues jr and buying a boost pedal down the road for a more natural drive than my Boss OS2 delivers. but then, ive been cruisin ebay and ive found that you can get a 1970s Fender Champ for around $300-350. would this be a better route to take? are there any other vintage amps like the champ that are worth looking into? Any new amp in the budget that suits the style is fine as well, but used is an option. this is mainly for a practice amp but if i do gig i can mic.

Edit:
also interested in the variations of the Champ such as the Champ 12, 80's Super Champ, etc. any experience with 'em?
Squier Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster - Candy Apple Red
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top
-SD pickups
Boss OS-2
Boss RC-2
Way Huge Pork Loin
Vox AC4TVH and Cab
Fender Super Champ XD
Last edited by cheaprocker010 at Dec 23, 2009,
go for the blues junior with an OD/boost if you want a more natural tube tone than the champ. if you want some versatility of tones, go for the super champ
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
Bugera V22
Peavey Classic 30
Fender Blues Jr. (with Tube Screamer or other OD of your choice)

All fine choices, though I prefer the V22. The others are great, but the V22 is the best choice for value/tone ratio for a new amp. Used, I'd go for the Blues Jr.
For practice I would say theVox AC4TV. Absolutely spanking sound!

For a bit more volume for gigging you might want to check out a used Laney VC30 although the prices may be a bit higher across the pond. But the Laney is an absolutely great bit of kit for what you are looking for.

And yes, also check out the bugera.

You might also want to check out a couple of build/kit amps - then you can specify what you want but you'll probably have to save more
Blues Jr.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
My Peavey Classic 30 is an absolutely incredible amp for the price, I picked mine up for only 300 USD, and its not hard to find one around that price. Its not extremely versatile, but it can do classic rock all the way up to the 80's pretty well. Its not the best amp for metal, but with a pedal you can do. Anyways, if you can deal with 30 watts, this thing is sweet.
Anyhow, out of those I would go for the Blues. Jr.
If you can find one used, the Vox Nightrain is a really really good low wattage amp.
And the Jet City 20 watt head sounds absolutely incredible, I actually plan on selling my classic for one of those. It might be a little too much for you, it can get Plexi-sounding tones, but its best suited for harder rock. Worth a try though.
Quote by SaulnierE
Peavey Classic 30

This. I know its over your wattage limit...but they're great amps.
ive already considered the classic 30.. its definitely on my list.. but im surprised noone has said anything about the old stuff... no amps worth getting from the glory days under $500? but thanks for all your suggestions! i really appreciate it.. im not much on bugera but then ive never tried one out so ill have to hit the local music store or GC (uhh) after christmas...
-SD pickups
Boss OS-2
Boss RC-2
Way Huge Pork Loin
Vox AC4TVH and Cab
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by eyebanez333
This. I know its over your wattage limit...but they're great amps.

Yup.

I recommend an OD pedal though, as always. It's good on it's own, an OD makes it great.
look at silverface (70s era) fender princeton amps. 15 watts of glory my friend. played one for a few hours at guitar center a month or so ago. i regret not buying it.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
i noticed them as well on my quest for tone.... something sort of related to the classic 30, what about the peavey club 20? were these similiar to the 30 or are they totally different?
i think the princetons i saw were going anywhere from 500-1000$.
-SD pickups
Boss OS-2
Boss RC-2
Way Huge Pork Loin
Vox AC4TVH and Cab
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by cheaprocker010
i noticed them as well on my quest for tone.... something sort of related to the classic 30, what about the peavey club 20? were these similiar to the 30 or are they totally different?
i think the princetons i saw were going anywhere from 500-1000$.

I've never heard of any Club 20. But there is a (significantly harder to find) Peavey Classic 20 - which is essentially 20 watt Classic 30.
mistake in previous post... i said peavey club 20 when its a CRATE club 20.. any word on those?
-SD pickups
Boss OS-2
Boss RC-2
Way Huge Pork Loin
Vox AC4TVH and Cab
Fender Super Champ XD
can i get a bump?
-SD pickups