Page 1 of 4
Apparently Mesa is going to discontinue the Dual Rectifier. Once they do, you'll only be able to get the Road King, which imo doesn't sound as good as the Dual.
Boogie should have never changed the original Dual form the 2 channel to the 3. Now they're getting rid of one of the best amps in their line.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Mesa always discontinues stuff to make room for something better. I imagine they're going to either introduce a new fangled Rectifier (which may be either better or worse) or something completely different.

Besides, it means more cheap Rectos on the used market, which is fine by me.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by bokma
I hope and pray this isn't true

It's true. I teach at a store that sells Boogie. The owner told me today that the new Dual head that he just got in, will be the last one.
Quote by Alex Vik
WHAT!?

The Dual Rectifier is my dream amp. Now when I finally get enough money for one, I won't even get the satisfaction of being the first owner.

While stocks last.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by seth's daddy
Once they do, you'll only be able to get the Road King, which imo doesn't sound as good as the Dual.

wat

Sucks about the Dual Recto though. Im looking forward to whatever they replace it with
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
dual rec isn't nearly as good as people make it out to be. much better amps in its price range.
they should discontinue ALL the rectos imo. bad sounding amp, and mostly responsible for the "numetal" sound. they need to stick to the Mark series and the Lonestars. now THOSE are amps that live up to the brand
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
they should discontinue ALL the rectos imo. bad sounding amp, and mostly responsible for the "numetal" sound.

Sounds like someone doesn't like the chugga chugga
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Sounds like someone doesn't like the chugga chugga

indeed i don't.

however not all amps capable of the chugga chugga do it badly like the rectos. look at anything made by engl or diezel. they get heavy as **** BUT they are also capable of toning down t3h br00talz for a while and getting overdriven or even clean, rather than knock-your-house-down-with-nasally-volume-and-chugging. I just find the rectos to be far too harsh and abrasive tonally.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
indeed i don't.

however not all amps capable of the chugga chugga do it badly like the rectos. look at anything made by engl or diezel. they get heavy as **** BUT they are also capable of toning down t3h br00talz for a while and getting overdriven or even clean, rather than knock-your-house-down-with-nasally-volume-and-chugging.

You've been ripping on Recs for the whole day today, and not just in this thread!

puh-lease...freedom of opinion, yes, but not when it's ridiculously excessive.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
I love the chugga chugga. Just so long as it sticks to internet chat boards.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by HellBoy9393
You've been ripping on Recs for the whole day today, and not just in this thread!

puh-lease...freedom of opinion, yes, but not when it's ridiculously excessive.

?

people have been talking about them a lot today.

stop making threads on them if you don't want me bringing up recto-rage
Maybe they make different amps, because not everyone has the same taste. I've owned one of the original 2 channel Rectos for almost 15 years. It's been the most reliable, best sounding amp I've ever owned.
One reason that you may not like it is because alot of people who buy hi-gain amps, don't have a clue as how to use them. I see guys all the time, crank the lows, highs, presence and gain, and have little to no mids. That is a horrible sound, regardless of what type of amp you're playing through.
I set mine sort of like this; bass at about 12:00, mids at 2:00, highs at around 1:00, presence at about 9:00, and the gain at 2:00. The amp sings and still has plenty of bottom end.
Quote by Lt. Shineysides
they should discontinue ALL the rectos imo. bad sounding amp, and mostly responsible for the "numetal" sound. they need to stick to the Mark series and the Lonestars. now THOSE are amps that live up to the brand

say what you want about the 'nu metal' genre, a lotta people loved that genre and the tone, so i think it's a lil harsh to make it sound like everything that came from the nu-metal phase was crap. i, personally, enjoyed the early KoRn and System of a Down's first few albums very much lol...

aside from the nu-metal bands/albums that i really liked, the leftovers aren't as annoying as today's surplus of 'core' wannabes lol...

that lil rant aside, which i pray didn't actually offend anyone ha, there's nothing wrong with discontinuing amps, when they're bringing out new and improved models anyway. marshall did that and ended up with some nice turnouts...as well as not so nice i guess...as well as any other established brand. give it a chance. for all you know, they'll put out a model that'll be the 'new' JCM800 if you catch my drift ha.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
say what you want about the 'nu metal' genre, a lotta people loved that genre and the tone, so i think it's a lil harsh to make it sound like everything that came from the nu-metal phase was crap. i, personally, enjoyed the early KoRn and System of a Down's first few albums very much lol...

I'm not associating it with any bands, im just associating it with "that tone" you know which one I'm talking about, the whole scooped mids, chugga chugga dealy. I know thats not all it's capable of, but its what you hear the most, and even the other stuff its capable of, mesa makes other amps that do all of it better.

for example, james hetfield used to play the mark IIC+, then he recently switched to a dual rectifier. the tone of the IIC+ absolutely blows away the triple recto.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 23, 2009,
^fair enough, that's a lil bit more of a defendable argument there lol. yea, i feel ya on that. i've never had the chance to play ANY Mesa yet, and up until the past year or so, i always thought the Rectos were supposed to be 'amazing'....and for the prices they quoted, i figured they'd have to be. but i guess it's really a love/hate thing. they say the mesa's have their own sound, which i believe for sure, but i wish i knew what THAT sound was...just so i could see what makes it so much more desirable than all the other amps on the market that nail all these other tones....the notorious not-so-tight bass would definitely scare me away from these amps...nothing i hate more than a nasty flabby bass muddying up my higher gain haha.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I'm not associating it with any bands, im just associating it with "that tone" you know which one I'm talking about, the whole scooped mids, chugga chugga dealy. I know thats not all it's capable of, but its what you hear the most, and even the other stuff its capable of, mesa makes other amps that do all of it better.

for example, james hetfield used to play the mark IIC+, then he recently switched to a triple rectifier. the tone of the IIC+ absolutely blows away the triple recto.

I thought he switched to a Dual Rectifier? And he doesn't use the Mesa amps live much anymore, he's got 2 Diezel heads in his tour rack.
I think just about everybody owns a dual rectifier at this point. It'll be a refresher.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Alex Vik
I thought he switched to a Dual Rectifier? And he doesn't use the Mesa amps live much anymore, he's got 2 Diezel heads in his tour rack.

oops i meant dual. the tone is pretty much the same anyways.

but see, even he knew the tone out of those things was just sub-metallica. his VH4s sound ****ing awesome. as does his blackstar series 1 200 (which not a lot of people know about, since it's backstage)
i never really saw the appeal of the dual rectifiers but then again im not so keen on scooped mids, if i was gunna spend that much on an amp i'd go for something like a bogner uberschall or a framus cobra (i know a little more expensive but in comparison to the prices not by too much) something you could get a bit more of a signature sound from
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
oops i meant dual. the tone is pretty much the same anyways.

but see, even he knew the tone out of those things was just sub-metallica. his VH4s sound ****ing awesome. as does his blackstar series 1 200 (which not a lot of people know about, since it's backstage)

the series one amps seem quite interesting. ive only played the 45 and its pretty good. i can only imagine that the 200 would be much better.

but woah... getting rid of the dual rec?? i guess the day had to come eventually. it also happened to the jcm800. i doubt mesa will make new amps that are only pale imitations of the dual rec because mesa is not selling out like marshall has. in fact i quite respect the guys at mesa for not conforming to popular demand and only making amps that they can feel genuinely proud of. they dont make any cheap amps just to please the public and earn more money. i think the same cant be said for brands like vox, orange, marshall, peavey, randall and pretty much every other popular guitar amp manufacturer. (kinda sounds snobby but if you think about it from the point of view of an idealistic amp builder, his dream would be to make the best amps possible amps, not piles of cash)

i guess what i am getting at is that we shouldnt have to worry. even if we loose the dual rec, we should trust them to make new amps that do the same thing just as well or better rather than going downhill like marshall has.
Quote by TheFunkyAvocado
the series one amps seem quite interesting. ive only played the 45 and its pretty good. i can only imagine that the 200 would be much better.

but woah... getting rid of the dual rec?? i guess the day had to come eventually. it also happened to the jcm800. i doubt mesa will make new amps that are only pale imitations of the dual rec because mesa is not selling out like marshall has. in fact i quite respect the guys at mesa for not conforming to popular demand and only making amps that they can feel genuinely proud of. they dont make any cheap amps just to please the public and earn more money. i think the same cant be said for brands like vox, orange, marshall, peavey, randall and pretty much every other popular guitar amp manufacturer. (kinda sounds snobby but if you think about it from the point of view of an idealistic amp builder, his dream would be to make the best amps possible amps, not piles of cash)

i guess what i am getting at is that we shouldnt have to worry. even if we loose the dual rec, we should trust them to make new amps that do the same thing just as well or better rather than going downhill like marshall has.

Apart from marshall those guys haven't sold their soul as amp makers, just gone for another target audience, which is good business sense. Even Marshall hasn't really done it, the amp's were just overpriced for what they were. Whereas Mesa continue to only point them selves at semi pro/pro level guitarists, which it not good business sense.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I agree completely. Put their arsenal of all the Mark amps they ever put out against the rectifiers.

I mean they practically do this with EVERY amp they ever put out. The mark 4 and dual recs have arguably been around the longest. Mark 4 got discontinued. Imo the mark 4 is better in EVERY WAY than any rectifier.

Now the dual rec might be going. Something new will come out psh...
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
This whole thread bashing rectos is a load of shit personally.

Don't make generalizations about all the rectifiers based on one single line of the series. The ToV is pretty awesome, so is the regular Rect-o-Verb. And who forgot about the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster? The two-channel Recto?

Now those are some pretty good ****ing amps. If you deny that basic fact, then I really question whether you've actually spent time sculpting a godly tone, or you've just made a quick judgment based on a prejudice you've already made. I'm not saying Mesa doesn't make some amps that are better, because I will agree that the Mark IIC+, IV and V are three of my favorite amps. Let's keep the amp bashing down a bit.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Oh well, I was getting tired of the Recto sound anyways. They need a new flagship amp for nooby guitar magazines to rape anyways.

Quote by Junnage
This whole thread bashing rectos is a load of shit personally.

Don't make generalizations about all the rectifiers based on one single line of the series. The ToV is pretty awesome, so is the regular Rect-o-Verb. And who forgot about the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster? The two-channel Recto?

Now those are some pretty good ****ing amps. If you deny that basic fact, then I really question whether you've actually spent time sculpting a godly tone, or you've just made a quick judgment based on a prejudice you've already made. I'm not saying Mesa doesn't make some amps that are better, because I will agree that the Mark IIC+, IV and V are three of my favorite amps. Let's keep the amp bashing down a bit.

People are going to bash amps. Some people are more vocal about it than others.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by SimplyBen
Apart from marshall those guys haven't sold their soul as amp makers, just gone for another target audience, which is good business sense. Even Marshall hasn't really done it, the amp's were just overpriced for what they were. Whereas Mesa continue to only point them selves at semi pro/pro level guitarists, which it not good business sense.

i never said anything about selling souls. the reason people make expensive amps is to do the best possible work in their craft that their ability allows. the reason people make cheaper amps is to appeal to more people (which is fine too). the fact that mesa chooses to only make expensive amps despite the substantial temptation of 'good business sense' shows that they really do care about their craft. its like a band that writes music that they want to write rather than music that the general public wants to hear. it shows integrity towards the craft.
Wa?! Nooooo!

I just got a Triple Rec a few weeks ago and i love it!!!

really good amps......sooooo much power!!
GEAR:
Mesa Boogie Triple Rec
Orange 4x12 in WHITE!
Gibson USA SG Tobacco Sunburst
Custom Fender Tele with EMG Mod
EC 1000 WHITE
Maxon OD9
Line 6 DL4
ISP Decimator
Boss TU-2
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thisdistanceuk
i'm glad i just got my recto last month before they stopped them!!! i love mine

tbf, some people like them and some dont its completely personal opinion. i tried out a markV when i went to get my recto and i personally didn't like the sound, so you can't really generalise amps just because YOU dont like it. your taste may be different to someone else's and clearly the dual recto has been popular because its been around for ages so it must appeal and sell units. an amplifier company should really aim to try and please every guitarist out there and should have a range of options for them and i think by having the mark series and the rectos that's what mesa did (lonestars and other models as well).
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Im gonna laugh so hard when they reissue the original 2ch rectos!
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
personally, i dont care. i think the rectos suck (for my tastes/styles). that being said, that seems like a pretty stupid move to take away one of your better-selling amps....i'm sure they'll replace it somehow.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
Quote by halikus
Im gonna laugh so hard when they reissue the original 2ch rectos!

I'd buy one if they did a Blackface reissue.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
To be fair. This is through the Grapevine. So I cannot say with any accuracy but this from HC's site. In a similar posting.

Straight from my artist rep at Mesa Boogie:

"We have a newly designed recto coming out. where are you recording? You gotta check it out. brighter and more closely related to the 2 channel. 3 channels, 100/50 watt switch, greatly improved Raw mode, clean is huge now."

Definitely cannot wait to check this out. If it's more like the old 2 channels then I might be game.

So who knows if this will unveiled at 2010 NAMM? I hope so.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'd buy one if they did a Blackface reissue.

High Five!
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Boring sounding. Not that that's bad, but I hope they put out something better than teh Dual Rectumfrier.
Anyone else read the thread title with a jar jar binks voice?

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
I don't think you'll have to ever worry about finding a Dual Rec. They pop up like 5150s on CL and eBay...

Chill, bro.
Page 1 of 4