When I play the guitar or use logic pro, i cant think of any melodies that are catchy.

I had a drum set loaded and all I got was "Dish dish...snare...dish dish...snare"

Not like "La ta da.....la ta da....lala lala ....ta da"

I can noodle but I cant make catchy riffs.

Am I supposed to hear these melodies in my head or should I be discovering them by accident while noodling with logic pro or a guitar?

Also When making a song, does the drums or bass come first. Which do you make first then make the other.

To me it seems drums then bass then guitar riffs
Last edited by harkkam at Dec 23, 2009,
i still find that the best way to come up with melodies is to set up a recorder or something, have your backing play and just sing whatever feels right over it
play it back and isolate the parts you like.
i usually put drums over before bass; it helps with keeping a solid beat when coming up with guitar parts.
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
I'd put drums down before anything, but because I can't play drums and don't have a lot of experience with them, I work out everything out first.

Usually I work out chords first, then a riff. I do it like that 'cause it's easier to find something that fits over chords than chords that fit over something.

Try look at chord tones and pick some of them out.
So drums....

Then chords

then riffs

If any of you have listened to hey baby by jimi hendrix Im sure he uses basic chords in there and that is coordinated with drums and bass and then while he is playing he spices it up with licks and riffs. But then falls back to the main chords of the song.

So i guess the drums and bass support the chords and then how you tranistion from chord to riff makes it good.

But still I lack much creativity my drums and bass dont have that musical quality it just doesn't seem to to sing but rather feels mechanical why is that?
Quote by harkkam
But still I lack much creativity my drums and bass dont have that musical quality it just doesn't seem to to sing but rather feels mechanical why is that?

my guess is you don't have as much experience with drums and bass. I'm kinda the same with drums, and can lay down something that'll work in guitar pro, at least to give my drummer an idea, but then let him come up with whatever he wants. I just give him an idea of the direction I want the drums to go.
Hakkam, I write my melody first, then the other stuff ("harmony"), then I write the drum beat. The interesting thing about the drum beat is that only a few notes need to relate to the song, everything else is up to my creativity.

Anyway, if you can't find any melodies try to inspire yourself by using short bits (2 or 3 notes) from other melodies. Like, I had one song that used the first 3 notes from a lord of the rings song (the one pippen sings to the king), then the next few notes just fell together. It's only bad and dishonest if you use too much of the original song.

Even my drum beats are inspired from other songs, but that's more acceptable, I guess. I'm also not a drummer, so I listen to a lot of dance and hip hop songs to inspire myself to write better rhythms.

In music, I guess it's just about getting something that sounds good, whatever the cost. I've never understood guys that want to be completely original, "break" all the "rules" and be "experimental."
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by harkkam
When I play the guitar or use logic pro, i cant think of any melodies that are catchy.

I had a drum set loaded and all I got was "Dish dish...snare...dish dish...snare"

Not like "La ta da.....la ta da....lala lala ....ta da"

I can noodle but I cant make catchy riffs.

Am I supposed to hear these melodies in my head or should I be discovering them by accident while noodling with logic pro or a guitar?

Also When making a song, does the drums or bass come first. Which do you make first then make the other.

Spend some time learning and playing melodies.

When you have enough experience, THEN come back & try to create your own.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by harkkam

Both are good methods. Noodling around may give you some cool stuff that you would have never thought of before. However, you can probably think of a really catchy melody in your head (think with la's and da's and so on) that you would love to use. If you can sing, sing your melody and record yourself doing so. That way you can transcribe it to Logic by ear. If you can't sing it's a bit harder because you also have to remember the melody as you're transcribing it. For someone like be, that's way easier said than done . So which one is best? Neither -- use both. Hell, you can use them together. Sometimes I noodle out a few notes and the rest of the melody just appears in my head.

Quote by harkkam

I usually write drums last. Bass, unless the baseline is a really big focus (think like Would? by Alice in Chains), will come after I write the guitar parts. Sometimes I write one guitar part and then the bass and then the next guitar part. It all really depends and no order is necessarily superior. Whatever works with you.
i don't know why i feel so dry
hmm seems to be pretty open ended to me. Well yeah I dont have any knowledge of scales or many chords. I think I should get that down first.