Hi UG Community,

I need your advice on some issues concerning 8-string guitars.

Which scale?

I have laid my eyes on several guitars with different scales ranging from 26.5" with Schecter, 27" with ESP to 28.65" or even 30" with Agile.
As a base player i have no problem with fast and accurate playing on a 30" scale. What I am concerned is the appropriate string thickness: Will the overall sound get muffeled due to too thick strings? I have noticed a lack of clarity on my 25.5" guitar, when using too thick strings. With a 30" scale I'll be forced to use thicker strings compared to a 26.5" scale. So do you think this might be a problem or have you experienced this?

Which PU position?

There are several distances from the bridge available, ranging from aprox. 1/5" to 1":

Just compare the SC-608B...
http://w**.espguitars.com/guitars_stef.html#

with the Agile Intrepid 828
http://w**.rondomusic.com/intrepidpro828bloodburst.html

How does the sound differ, when moving too far away from the bridge? I am afraid of adding too much bass and losing a lot of "chunkiness" when playing high gain mutes.

Any Advice from you guys would help me out here!

Thanks and merry Christmas
Why did you feel the need to put asterixs where the other two W's would be in the links you posted?
Quote by matrix151080
With a 30" scale I'll be forced to use thicker strings compared to a 26.5" scale. So do you think this might be a problem or have you experienced this?

Quite the contrary; larger scales need smaller strings.

The general consensus is that with longer scales, you get more clarity, and less 'twang'. You also get a lot more distance on your frets, so if you plan on playing Malmsteen on a 30'' guitar, you might find yourself having trouble.

Personally I'd go for the Agile, for pure freedom of choice. I'm a little tired of the black + EMG thing.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Quite the contrary; larger scales need smaller strings.

The general consensus is that with longer scales, you get more clarity, and less 'twang'. You also get a lot more distance on your frets, so if you plan on playing Malmsteen on a 30'' guitar, you might find yourself having trouble.

Personally I'd go for the Agile, for pure freedom of choice. I'm a little tired of the black + EMG thing.

That's the theory, but the tuning makes a difference too. If you're going to detune, heavier strings are necessary, and a longer scale usually helps too. I want to say that the guys from Meshuggah use 8-string guitars, tuned a full step flat. At least they did for a while. I think the intent was to let the two guitarists get enough grunt and low-end that they could play without a bassist.
@consecutive e
Well deep linking is an issue her in my home country but lets focus on the issue...

@Hamster and jean
Don't you agree that thicker strings add a lot more tension and thus a more stable tone when picking a string very hard?

The Meshuggah tuning is what I am aiming for. Does anymone know their string thickness?
There's a guy on youtube claiming to use .90 on the bass string. POINT NINETY!!!
Meshuggah use standard 09-46 for the first 6 strings if im not mistaken.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by matrix151080

Don't you agree that thicker strings add a lot more tension and thus a more stable tone when picking a string very hard?

Yes, but with longer scale lengths, you don't have to worry about that because longer scale lengths = more tension.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Yes, but with longer scale lengths, you don't have to worry about that because longer scale lengths = more tension.

Isn't that what I just said?

Anyhow. Any opinion on the pickup distance from the bridge?

Thanks for your comments so far by the way!
Quote by matrix151080
Isn't that what I just said?

Anyhow. Any opinion on the pickup distance from the bridge?

Thanks for your comments so far by the way!

I don't want to sound like a broken record, so I'll kindly GTFO this thread instead of trying to help you out.

Also:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=599065&page=1&pp=40
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?