I wrote a riff that could be in one of three scales: G Japanese (Ichikosucho), A Bebop Minor, or D Bebop Dominant. Unfortunately, the root note (or what I'd want the root note to be for the song) is an E, which would make the scale: E, F#, G, A, B, C, C#, D. I can't find any scales with these scale degrees. Help?
Have I discovered a secret scale? Should I stick with the others? Am I over-thinking this WAY too much? Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks!
At the Justice Tour:
Guy in audience: Libertyville represent!
Tom Morello: Yes. Libertyville…represent.

Quote by IDread
Damn. You got insanely lucky when it comes to manly surnames.

Ai æm eɪ prəpoʊnənt ʌv eɪ kəmplitli fənɛtɪk ælfəbɛt. Spɛl ɛvriθɪŋ wɪθ ðə AɪPiEɪ.
It's just an Emin with an added b7.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I don't think that scale has a name exactly, but it's essentially an E natural minor with a passing C#.

EDIT: ^^Evening Crow, the D in TS's scale is the b7. Because it's an 8 tone scale it would be better to call it the #6.

Last edited by pangui at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by pangui
I don't think that scale has a name exactly, but it's essentially an E natural minor with a passing C#.

EDIT: ^^Evening Crow, the D in TS's scale is the b7. Because it's an 8 tone scale it would be better to call it the #6.

Thanks, wasn't really sure what to call it... Anyway, seems like we agree on it being an Emin with an added note. I'm guessing ts mainly plays it either in a chromatic kind of way (passing note) or skips it either when ascending or descending.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Thanks, wasn't really sure what to call it... Anyway, seems like we agree on it being an Emin with an added note. I'm guessing ts mainly plays it either in a chromatic kind of way (passing note) or skips it either when ascending or descending.

Yeah I'd say that's what's going on Hope that helps, TS!

It's E minor with a passing C#, the C# in place of the C would make it E dorian (1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7), it's a fairly common passing tone.