Ive been playing guitar for 2 years and want to buy a new guitar and a new amp.
Im currently playing through an american fender stratocaster and a vox valvetronix ad15vt amp.
I play metal, rock, blues and such...
With my current amp and guitar I cant get that heavy sound that I want for metal.
Ive been planning on selling my amp and buying a new one, and, buying a new guitar that sound more metalll :p
I have a budget of 1250$

Any suggestions?
i'd keep the guitar but put new pickups in it. That way you can get a heavy sound out of an already high quality guitar for around 200 bucks. With the amp and that budget i'd get the Bugera 6262, or a carvin V3. I'd really look at the v3 if I were you, awesome, awesome amp.
buy a new amp.

Don't bother changing your pickups until after you do that.

With that budget you can get just about anything btw.

What kind of sound are you looking for? (metal is a very broad term, what kind? death? metalcore? 80's? Shred? Power?)

Also, what country do you live in and what is the nearest major city to you?
Last edited by rlheart at Dec 23, 2009,
Get a bucker on your strat, unless you absolutely want to keep that single-coil in the bridge.
Quote by Kumanji
The only thing that matters in music these days is money - genuinely talented artists are passed over entirely or corraled into making non-offensive, non-threatening average music that sells.
The Bugera 6262 should give you a good start with the heavier tone. I just bought one a couple of days ago and it's awesome. A noise gate is a must with that, though.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
As far as it goes with metal, I listen to metallica, megadeth, pantera, disturbed and also some melodic death such as in flames and all that remains.
what about some guitar suggestions?
(Ill consider the humbucker on my strat suggestion :p)
ohh, forgot to mention that I want a guitar with decent floyd rose system X:
I would say go with a used Schecter for the guitar. They are amazing instruments, but they dont seem to hold value well, which is great if you dont mind going used. Used Ibanez would also be a good choice. And I second the Bugera idea.
Check out the roland line... i got the Cube 60 and that think its pretty bomb
is your strat a fat strat or classic (three single coils)?

Should be fine for metal either way contrary to belief.

Also, from your bands listed, you'll either want a 5150/6505 (or 5150 II/6505+) or a JCM800 with a good boost/od in front of it.
get a gibson les paul faded hook it up with some emg's and get a used marshall avt150 head of ebay with a nice cab off guitarcenter and you're all set my man
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
^I wouldn't really get that amp if I was TS
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
^I wouldn't really get that amp if I was TS

its preety versatile 2 different stages of overdrive i have heard it is a bit trebely by nature but thats why they give u a bass knob and a tone knob on the guitar =)
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Controls aren't everything in an amp.
The Bugera 6262 and the Peavey 6505 112 combo are much better suggestions for what he wants.
I agree with the humbucker guitar with EMGs suggestion though, but the strat will be most of the way there if TS gets one of those amps.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Controls aren't everything in an amp.
The Bugera 6262 and the Peavey 6505 112 combo are much better suggestions for what he wants.
I agree with the humbucker guitar with EMGs suggestion though, but the strat will be most of the way there if TS gets one of those amps.

Thank God! Someone else with some sense.
yeah, there is a way to stretch your strings that takes like 2 minutes to do on a strat trem that will keep it perfectly in tune no matter how much you dive it, I think the guy's name is Fruda or frudatv on youtube. I set my strat's trem up like this and it holds tune just as good as my FR guitars now. I highly suggest this and the EMG's for your strat as well as the Bugera, that way you can keep a good chunk of change in your pocket for other things.
definitely, absolutely most definitely do NOT get rid of your stratocaster...... installing a humbucker + right amplifier will get you awesome heavy tones out of it

as far as amplifiers go, dont rule out Marshall JCM 900's as they are badass. Its basically a JCM 800 with two channels and ALOT more gain
i just got mine for $500 bills, and I picked up a used randall cab with celestions for $200

thats $700 for a very solid amplifier and you would STILL have money left to mod your guitar and get a few stompboxes/cables...... a strat modified for hotter sounds can nail heavy tones just as well as any other guitar suited for heavy tones.... mine nails most metal sounds all day
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Dec 30, 2009,