i'm going to be getting a blackstar ht-5 in january, unfortuantly i can not try one before i buy it as the nearest dealer is 3 hours drive away, and i just can't get any time to go. i realy like it form demos i've heard and it is going to be miles better than what i'm using. from what people have said is that in order to play very heavy rock and metal you need a pedal, so after doing so looking, the electro harmonix metal muff looks like it would be very good, is it woth getting, i play blues, all types of rock and metal, and i currently have a boss ds-1, which i'll probably use for the low end distortion, any opininons or recomendations are greatly appreciated.
there is 1 down side i find very anooying even though i don't use it much on this amp... the clean channel doesn't have it's own EQ... otherwise it's a brilliant amp. i luv it to death and would recommend it to anyone... For a overdrive... maybe a ts9... but also consider a EQ pedal, if you don't wanna spend alot on one get the danelectro fish n chips.. if you have enough money and don't mind spending around $150 get the MXR 10 band EQ... i would recommend this before the overdrive pedal because it could give you a better low end while shaping your sound at the same time
Most people just seem to use an overdrive to boost the HT5 (i use TS9)
In order of price these seem to be what has been recomended

Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
LPB-1 Boost
Digitech Bad monkey
Ibanez TS9 or similar
MXR 10 Band Eq
Ibanez RG1570 (06) LTD Truckster (07) Fender USA Standard Strat (97) Blackstar HT5s ,TC Polytune, SHO Clone, Russian Muff pi, EHX Small Clone, MXR Carbon Copy, Marshall Reflector, MXR 10 Band EQ
To me, not having an EQ is kinda cool because then you can just plugin and play and not worry about SkOoPiN TeH MiDz. It really lets the guitar and amps work together.

As for a distortion for metal and such, all you'll need is probably some kind of cheap boost pedal or a TS-9 or TS-808.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Quote by MetalGuitarest
there is 1 down side i find very anooying even though i don't use it much on this amp... the clean channel doesn't have it's own EQ... otherwise it's a brilliant amp. i luv it to death and would recommend it to anyone... For a overdrive... maybe a ts9... but also consider a EQ pedal, if you don't wanna spend alot on one get the danelectro fish n chips.. if you have enough money and don't mind spending around $150 get the MXR 10 band EQ... i would recommend this before the overdrive pedal because it could give you a better low end while shaping your sound at the same time

This^. Most small class A amps get sold short without a good EQ.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by britishsligean
i'm going to be getting a blackstar ht-5 in january, unfortuantly i can not try one before i buy it as the nearest dealer is 3 hours drive away, and i just can't get any time to go. i realy like it form demos i've heard and it is going to be miles better than what i'm using. from what people have said is that in order to play very heavy rock and metal you need a pedal, so after doing so looking, the electro harmonix metal muff looks like it would be very good, is it woth getting, i play blues, all types of rock and metal, and i currently have a boss ds-1, which i'll probably use for the low end distortion, any opininons or recomendations are greatly appreciated.

Wait till You Get it Play it and See what.........You Need.