Page 1 of 2
Here I am looking for epiphones to buy and stumble across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-EPIPHONE-LES-PAUL-CUSTOM-WH-electric-guitar_W0QQitemZ170423586168QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item27ae098d78#ht_5541wt_1167

This is a fake right? I read here: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/12286-fake-epiphone-thread.html

That the knobs don't line up and the middle right tuner is too close to the edge of the headstock. I just want to confirm with you guys.
I dont know, it might be fake. From the pictures though I dont see any conclusive evidence, but yeah, it might be. I wouldn't buy it.
Yea and it's coming from china warehouse and all that crap so I'll stay away.
if its a custom it wouldnt be that cheap anyway, so I would presume it to be either a fake or not a cusom, just maybe a standard
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

ya it has to be i looked at that guitar in the music store it was $800 new why would it only be $300 online?
Quote by Gibson74
Yea and it's coming from china warehouse and all that crap so I'll stay away.

+1
^ Another point which is correct and they also blocked the serial number but I don't know if that shows it's a fake.
Quote by Gibson74
^ Another point which is correct and they also blocked the serial number but I don't know if that shows it's a fake.

When ever you buy from china... you never get the exact one pictured
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']It's fake. Truss Rod Cover is seriously off:

1. Their truss rod covers are NEVER fully flush with the body:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/epiphone%20les%20paul%20custom%20headstock/truespin/headstock-1.jpg

2. Only Gibson Les Pauls come with the model name on the truss rod cover. Epiphones come with a vertically-written logo like such:

G
I
B
S
O
N

It's a fake.

I unno about that... my Epi says "Les Paul Standard" written in the same manner as the one pictured

http://media.photobucket.com/image/epiphone%20les%20paul%20custom%20headstock/truespin/headstock-1.jpg

2. Only Gibson Les Pauls come with the model name on the truss rod cover. Epiphones come with a vertically-written logo like such:

G
I
B
S
O
N

It's a fake.

You're wrong.

G
I
B
S
O
N

It's a fake.
Are you sure about the truss rod cover? I think that they usually say "Les paul ..."
Oh crap. Yeah, that's my bad. Epi Customs have the Gibson logo truss rod cover.

Standards have the typical model name ones.
It originated in China, the item is in Russia, they offer free shipping (lol) with a low sale price......

The sellers history is all .99 cent items with all feedback done in the last couple days...

Put two and two together.

Ripoff city.....
Thats a pretty standard trick to get your feedback up, a bunch of piddly transactions. Most would just look and see it says 100% not looking very deep.

If its in russia why would it need to be shipped out of china? The whole thing says scam or crappy knockoff.
Id go for it if i had extra paypal lying around.... paypal is pretty advantageous to buyers... if you complain you get your money back and %50 of the time you don't have to ship the item back... given they don't send you a block of foam (ive herd many cases of that happening)
present's transaction is the transnational transaction, therefore time slow somewhat, but the price must be cheap, moreover the quality must be good, except each sale on commission link, has guaranteed guitar's completeness.

much more legit!

i think this one is a winner
"The quality maintenance is one year, if the period any fitting damage, we free will mail the new fitting for you.

To timbre subjective discontented, or the chromatic aberration, oneself do not like, we do not give the returned goods, besides quality question."
Quote by Gibson74
Yea I'm not considering it anymore but what do you guys think of this one?

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/1511988522.html

I'm looking at getting the epi custom vintage sunburst there.

Seems more legit. I assume you would do the transaction in person though right? If you are worried about getting pawned off a fake just study original ones and check out any potential one you might buy online.

When it comes to guitars coming from some foreign land specially Eastern europe or Asia I would stay clear of them unless you know for a fact who and what you are dealing with.
No.. unfortunately I'm not even near this place. But I told him to give me more detailed pics and the serial number. At that point I will need your guys' help. I'm more than 1,000 miles away so I couldn't go check it out.
Quote by Gibson74
No.. unfortunately I'm not even near this place. But I told him to give me more detailed pics and the serial number. At that point I will need your guys' help. I'm more than 1,000 miles away so I couldn't go check it out.

Personally I wouldn't buy from Craiglist unless I can physically pick it up. You don't have the security like using Ebay. I know you are looking for a deal but be careful, sometimes it is better to pay a little more and be secure in the transaction.

Epiphone guitars are plentiful out there, you might find one local in a guitar store or pawn shop used. Or craigslist used locally. I don't want to see you get ripped off man. Be patient and the right one at the right price will come around.
Ok thank you. I have only $350 to throw at a guitar and my father is not wiling to budge on that. There is a local epi custom for 450 but it's sadly too much for me. I really don't know what to do.
Quote by Gibson74
Ok thank you. I have only $350 to throw at a guitar and my father is not wiling to budge on that. There is a local epi custom for 450 but it's sadly too much for me. I really don't know what to do.

I know what you feel man I do. When I wanted my first decent guitar, I was dead set on a Fender strat. I had $500, my friend took me to the store and it wasn't which strat I wanted it was which one can I get. I got a sorta beat up sunburst strat and it gave me years of cherished memories.

If you want a Epiphone don't go for less. Tell your dad that is what you want and ask what you can do to make up the difference. Ask what you can do to earn it by doing odd jobs or whatever. Maybe you can make some money by mowing lawns or move snow for neighbors? Don't know where you live so..

Save up for it man, when you get that Epiphone it will be just that more sweet. Can that guitar for $450 be put on layaway? But don't let desire make you make unwise decisions and chances, if you get ripped off on a deal you'll be crushed and your dad probably won't be too forgiving.

Many times I have seen something on Ebay or Craigslist that I wanted but let it go just because it didn't "feel" right or they were not where I could get it in person regarding Craigslist. And sooner or later another one came around for sale that was the right one at the right conditions to get.

When you do get the right one which ever it is I expect to see some pics posted though! cheers
Haha thank you very much. I'll tell you this, I've been on this computer since 9:00 in the morning looking for a guitar. Still nothing. Thanks man I'll use your advise.
You know the big thing that would scare me off is it's selling from a Russian location but being shipped from China. The pics look like a real Epi but is that what your actually going to get and if you get some sh*tty copy you probably will never see your money again.

I would watch the auctions for a while and see if Ebay pulls them. he has three silver burst and three white ones and they all look like the same two.

John
Sent you a pm.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Wait till one comes up on craigslist/kijiji in your area.... its not the end of the world if you have to wait a bit for it... maybe youll get some xmas funds too?
We in China, with the British time are different, all will give the buyer consultation to create not conveniently. We guaranteed that can reply your mail within 24 hours

the we in china part just had me in laughter for about 3 minutes
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Schecter C-1+
Squier '51 (blonde with black pickguard)
Fender Super Champ XD
One day you will see fake First Act's, Encores etc etc, Mark my words!
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Ital_Stal
i think the sad part is.... there making fake EPIPHONES now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The effort they invest into making counterfeits, if they would use that effort into marketing their own brand they might actually create a decent line competitive on the free market.

But the Chinese haven't realized yet overall that capitalism means innovation but by legal means. The Chinese have a history of being innovative yet recently they prefere to be copiers and producers of cheap fake crap overall. But then again alot of people don't mind buying it. It is a sad day when I buy a American flag and it says made in China.
Quote by LK_revival
The effort they invest into making counterfeits, if they would use that effort into marketing their own brand they might actually create a decent line competitive on the free market.

But the Chinese haven't realized yet overall that capitalism means innovation but by legal means. The Chinese have a history of being innovative yet recently they prefere to be copiers and producers of cheap fake crap overall. But then again alot of people don't mind buying it. It is a sad day when I buy a American flag and it says made in China.

Not a bad idea...

"Sets up a Chinese sweat shop to manufacture American flags......"

MUAHAHAHAHAHA
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Haha seriously I don't know why Chinese are the always ones doing all this crap. Whenever you mostly buy something there's a fake of it.... it's quite sad.

Still on the lookout though on an epiphone that's REAL...

Ok guys take a look at this...

http://www.sheltonsguitars.com/2009/12-21-09/epiphone-les-paul-custom-12-21-09.html

I saw that guitar on eBay and decided to go to his website and look at it. How does that look? Should I go for it? On his eBay listing he shows a picture of the side which, by the binding, seems like it's peeling or something. Other than that I think it looks pretty good.

But the truss rod cover seems a little strange too.
Last edited by Gibson74 at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by Gibson74
Haha seriously I don't know why Chinese are the always ones doing all this crap. Whenever you mostly buy something there's a fake of it.... it's quite sad.

Still on the lookout though on an epiphone that's REAL...

Ok guys take a look at this...

http://www.sheltonsguitars.com/2009/12-21-09/epiphone-les-paul-custom-12-21-09.html

I saw that guitar on eBay and decided to go to his website and look at it. How does that look? Should I go for it? On his eBay listing he shows a picture of the side which, by the binding, seems like it's peeling or something. Other than that I think it looks pretty good.

But the truss rod cover seems a little strange too.

Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Unsung Plant, Korea
October 1995
Production Number: 0358

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

The shelton company looks legit, $50 shipping for the guitar. I don't know if the truss cover is suppose to say Gibson, I never really studied Epiphone guitars, it looks like decent deal though.

Actually that binding, a guitar tech needs to affirm whether it is a issue or not, I am not sure but it makes me hesitant.
Last edited by LK_revival at Dec 28, 2009,
Page 1 of 2