i am following on from a thread about "the one best thing a guitarist should know"

how many times have you opened a guitar magazine to read a lesson about listening to other musicians / keeping your ego in check or learning to sight read ?

from my experience very little , lets face it the bulk of guitar magazines in fact guitar teaching in general focus on technical skills .

is it any wonder then so many guitarist lack the key skills discussed before.
now a guitar magazine could argue that this format sells , but how many people think that guitar lesson in magazines , like "x factor " the tv show need to evolve more.
there's a stigma with sight reading , people have said well "slash doesn't sight read " or "steve vai has the ego of a gorilla but he is still great "

my next question is what kind of message does this send out to guitarists in this day and age ?
does the media and guitar tutors have a responsibility to promote aural skills , sight reading keeping the ego in check ?

i can see that by placing a sheet of quavers in front of learning guitarist may actually knock their confidence , but then coming back to guitar magazines or the book "zen guitar" i remember reading guitarists say put everything in one note make it come from your soul.
sheet music can inspire the imagination , like looking at a beautiful painting , it doesn't have to be just a set off commands you pass or fail .
thank you for reading this, i know i have veered off into the sight reading debate and i apologise to the mods for this, ideally i would like to discuss how media , society can encourage ways of teaching guitar to develop more aural skills ,sight reading ,humbleness and integrity .
You generally put a space after punctuation, and not before it.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
You generally put a space after punctuation, and not before it.

This.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by ibanez1511
i am following on from a thread about "the one best thing a guitarist should know"

how many times have you opened a guitar magazine to read a lesson about listening to other musicians / keeping your ego in check or learning to sight read ?

from my experience very little , lets face it the bulk of guitar magazines in fact guitar teaching in general focus on technical skills .

is it any wonder then so many guitarist lack the key skills discussed before.
now a guitar magazine could argue that this format sells , but how many people think that guitar lesson in magazines , like "x factor " the tv show need to evolve more.
there's a stigma with sight reading , people have said well "slash doesn't sight read " or "steve vai has the ego of a gorilla but he is still great "

my next question is what kind of message does this send out to guitarists in this day and age ?
does the media and guitar tutors have a responsibility to promote aural skills , sight reading keeping the ego in check ?

i can see that by placing a sheet of quavers in front of learning guitarist may actually knock their confidence , but then coming back to guitar magazines or the book "zen guitar" i remember reading guitarists say put everything in one note make it come from your soul.
sheet music can inspire the imagination , like looking at a beautiful painting , it doesn't have to be just a set off commands you pass or fail .
thank you for reading this, i know i have veered off into the sight reading debate and i apologise to the mods for this, ideally i would like to discuss how media , society can encourage ways of teaching guitar to develop more aural skills ,sight reading ,humbleness and integrity .

I tend to look at these ideas with some skepticism. I cant play one note and mean it from the heart, by itself, but in the right context I can. I just get feeling that its a bit new agey when we start talking in flowery abstracts like paintings and such, because its really an extension of personalities, and there are many types. Ego problems come when you have a weak personality. When you need anything besides who you are, to promote yourself, that's the sign of a weak personality. Which is why when I see some dude with a huge ego, say they play guitar, I think, "Yeah you may be good, but that's sad if that's what you need to find meaning and definition in".

Someone that was stingy before the lottery will be stingy after. Progress and success tends also to expose the flaws we have on a greater scale. I never let money change me, for example, nor does my guitar playing.

As far as the thechnical aspects, heres my take. Not withstanding that twice in my mid 20's I caught a bad case of tendonitis, and each sidelined me for 6 months (My shred heroes were Satch, Tony Mac Alpine, Eric Johnson, Vinnie Moore, and Shawn Lane)- it wasn't worth trying to shred after that, so now I do loosey goosey legato runs, slides and let the others worry about the technical playing. Last year, after having so many great students doing these great picking speed applications (alternate, economy, sweep and hybrid) to the concepts that I taught them, I was sort of conscious that I don't play that fast, and so as someone that teaches others to do this, I decided to try again. The next day I was sidelined and in extreme pain, now I have no feeling at all in my wrist for about 4 inches. I was in serious pain for almost 2 months.

So for me, and technical playing, it has its place, but I sort of like sloppy playing too, and don't push myself too hard to be fast. Yes I warmed up and stretched and did the exercises, and all seemed to be fine, till the next day.
Quote by ibanez1511

MHO on that thread.
Quote by ibanez1511
"steve vai has the ego of a gorilla but he is still great "

I honestly feel that confidence and self-assuredness displayed by alot of "shred" or technical guitarists is too often misinterpreted as egoism or conceit usually by the less talented and frustrated.
Quote by JudgeDrey

I honestly feel that confidence and self-assuredness displayed by alot of "shred" or technical guitarists is too often misinterpreted as egoism or conceit usually by the less talented and frustrated.

This.

I dont find Vai or even Malmsteen to have Big egos.
Quote by Sean0913
Wow...

In what way do they have big egos?

They don't call themselves amazing guitar players, they don't say they're better than anyone else.

Even if they did have big egos they deserve to have them. Some people criticize Malmsteen for naming his band after himself, yet he writes ALL the parts himself (guitar,drums,keyboards,lyrics), so why shouldn't he?
Quote by griffRG7321
they deserve to have them.
No one deserves to have a big ego. Even if you are better than every one else, you shouldn't have to make sure people know that.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by griffRG7321
In what way do they have big egos?

They don't call themselves amazing guitar players, they don't say they're better than anyone else.

Even if they did have big egos they deserve to have them. Some people criticize Malmsteen for naming his band after himself, yet he writes ALL the parts himself (guitar,drums,keyboards,lyrics), so why shouldn't he?

i actually agree. everyone seems to think them two have egos but ive never seen anything that suggests that. and im not a fan really of either so im not biased in this. every interview ive seen with either vai or malmsteen they seem to come off as pretty nice guys. i think any arrogance is actually poking fun at themselves, which vai seems to do a lot actually. i think they are aware of their ability though.

ANYWAYS, i think TS that you are right: its sells. hardly anyone wants to read sheet music. but ive actually seen a lot of tabs that have the music on top as well. ive also seen many lessons that talk in theoretical terms. you kind of make it seem like all guitar mags just give you tab lessons and nothing else which just isnt the case. also, i think some europian mags might be better. ive seen some that have much more in depth lessons than the ones i see here. and imo, aural skills are far more important than sight reading skills.

now the thing about "keeping you ego in check" or "saying more with less" and all that crap, yes, crap, is that again, it sells. most players reading these mags arent great players. these kinds of things make them think they are better than they are unfortunatly. and then they pass it on to others. i used to follow this stuff but now im comming to see it only really comes from less advanced players. to me its starting to look like an excuse for not being a more advanced player. its like when people say "well, he can play fast, but i can play with feeling". playing slower/less complex has nothing to do with feeling. you are making an excuse to make yourself look better in your own mind instead of being inspired to learn more. lucky for me i stopped thinking this way. now i feel that im more open to music and because ive advanced my playing, i can actually express myself more than when i was less advanced.

now that being said, there is some truth to these sayings. i do believe you should put your heart into everything you do. i also think that you should pay attention to the song. dont just playing every trick you know over every song. play what suits the song. i think people tend to think that as soon as someone does something they cant do, its showing off all of a sudden and its souless. technical/complex playing isnt any more void of soul than minamalist playing is of skill or talent. imo, more advanced players can actually express themselves better than a less advanced player. they have more musical ability on the guitar. so instead of "saying more with less", they are "saying what the mean". thats kind of the motto i live by. if you hear more notes in your head, play them. if you hear less, play less. its simple really. sometimes i might play really fast, eric johnson type stuff, others i might really just milk 2 or 3 notes a la albert king.

to me, if you are on only one side (technical or minimalist) then you are limiting yourself. if you are open to everything, you are a more well rounded player and a more dynamic player.