Hey Guys,

Let me just start by saying I'm new to these forums, this is my first post.

Anyways, I am looking at buying a used 1956 Epiphone Les Paul Gold Top Reissue with p90 pickups. I have read that the neck pickup is sweet and full and that the bridge is kinda weak.

The solution I have come up with is to swap out the bridge p90 for another. The three opptions I have found are a Seymour Duncan SP90-1, a Seymour Duncan STK-P1 (both passive, the SP90-1 is single coil, the STK-P1 is a humbucker) or and EMG pP60A (active p90 with Alinico Magnets). I have also come across a schematic to have an active pup in the bridge and a passive in the neck...

I have no intention of changing the neck pickup if it is as good as I have read...

I would like this guitar to be a good jazz/funk/maybe even a little rock rhythm guitar. (all styles would be for rhythm but would like to be able to turn it up for the occasional solo) I have an Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty which I like the lead tones from so that isn't an issue. I would also like to keep the original p90 look.

I would like your guys' opinions on which pickups i should use...

Thanks in Advance
Strat Copy
Epi Les Paul Black Beauty
Iby JS-100
Takamine G406S

Marshall MG15MSII
Traynor YCV50B

AB>Crybaby Standard>TU-3>DS-1>DS-2>ML-2>ZW-44>B.O.R.

EHX LPB-1>Phase 90>Milkshake Chorus

"Keep on rockin' in the free world"
I've got one and I love it. One thing you may notice is that the bridge pup is a little on the weak side, that is mainly due to it being much lower than the bridge. I am going to be switching out all of my electronics soon and then for the pups I am going to put in some Lindy Franlins.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
So, could you raise the pickup or lower the bridge and get more output from it?
Strat Copy
Iby JS-100
Takamine G406S

Marshall MG15MSII
Traynor YCV50B

Yeah but if you raise it too much the sound will suffer and so will the sustain.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Perhaps you could use something like an MXR Micro Amp to raise your bridge output.

Or better yet... buy a new amp. Playing through a DS1 into an MG is going to sound pretty similar no matter what you plug in. Unless that's just your practice rig and you play different amps somewhere.
Get a better amp first.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Go the Neil Young route: Put a mini humbucker in the bridge.

HACHEDIT: ^That too.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Dec 29, 2009,
Um, thanks for the suggestions,

I don't really want to put in a mini amp...I just don't see the value to it other than another electronic component that can fail when I don't want it to.

As for my rig, it is just my practise rig (not that I really play anywhere to have a performance rig) but it usually only consists of my amp because I like the distortion there better, but I can still get decent and a variety of tones out of it (Ozzy to Slash just by changing pick ups). As for the volume side of things, I perfomed with it once and it stood up to a JCM 900 4100 (100 watt half stack) no problem at all (then again it wasn't a full on rock concert either).

I also don't want to buy a new amp because I am trying to build a guitar for Jazz Band at school in which I am the rhythm player and the amp is supplied (yes, its a piece of junk keyboard amp...) and I have no control over which amp I use there.

So for my purposes most of the sound has to come out of the guitar (pick ups, or one pedal I can take) and I am just not quite sure how to go about doing it.

Incase you have forgotten, I am looking for a brigdge pickup that will be good for rhythm, still turn up for a good solo AND fit in a p90 routed space.

Thanks
Strat Copy
Iby JS-100
Takamine G406S

Marshall MG15MSII
Traynor YCV50B