Okay, so it's about time i got a better amp, and I know you guys know tons more about amps than me so:

I play a lot of mixed music - Alot of rock, some clean stuff, sometimes heavy..

I like to have some fx

I don't gig.. yet..

Anyone got any ideas?

I was thinking...
either a Peavey Vypyr or
A head and cabinet.. would need info on where to get good head

but I don't know much about anything amps unless it's solid state, so you guys might have some explaining to do..

My budget is about £250 ($350 or so).. yes I'm from England

Thanks guys I owe you one!

HELLO!

Last edited by JamesLPs at Dec 23, 2009,
If u r willing to go used and like vintage tube sound, i recommend you a Fender Champ
like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Nice-Vintage-Fender-Champ-Tube-Amp_W0QQitemZ290382984548QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439c2cb564

if you want something heavier and willing to spend that money on a head, then you could choose either a Bugera V55HD or get a 15w Blackheart or an Orange Tiny Terror if the low wattage is enough for you.
I like the idea of the Bugera V55HD and Orange tiny terror I'll check them out!

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/bugera-v55hd-guitar-amplifier-head--64900
&
http://www.jpgelectronics.com/products.asp?partno=BU009

Look good? I can't afford them yet but it's always a goal, i'll be getting my first job soon (just turned 16) so that should bring in a bit of money.. then I shouldn't need an amp upgrade for ages!

Anyway does that look like a good idea?

Thanks for all the feedback

HELLO!

That amp should be really versatile and i think it'll suit your requirements. Although I'd recommend trying it in a local shop before deciding to buy it.

Edit: check out the Peavey Valve King as well
Last edited by imaginary.frnd at Dec 23, 2009,
You don't need the V55. The V22 is too loud for home practice as it is.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Jay the v55 was only a head.. this doesn't affect volume if I'm right..

Actually this got me thinking.. would their be any point getting a V55HD and speaker cabinet or might I aswell just get V55 or even just a V22..

EDIT:

Thanks imaginary ! You rule!

HELLO!

The wattage does affect volume, since these amps sound best at higher volumes and if u r using a 50 watt head with the volume pot at the 3 o' clock mark, it's gonna be louder than a 30 watt head with the same settings. For home practice and small gigs the V22 should be fine, and it's easier to carry around. If you want the bigger one, you can have either the V55 or the V55HD depending whether you prefer a combo or a head for which you can have the speaker cab of your choice.

I couldn't choose whether to buy the v22 or the v55 before trying them, since I don't know the amount of clean headroom they have. Since you've mentioned you like playing some clean stuff, it wouldn't be good if the amp started to get crunchy at the volume you wanted to play clean. You should try both at higher volumes if possible.
can you get a v22 or even a v5 head, cause i like the idea of a stack and head but I can't see me needing to use, that much power.. plus the neighbours would kill me ..

HELLO!

The head wattage is what determines the volumes. If you're not gigging then get a v5 combo.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
would the v5 be a bit more toneful and diverse than my line 6?

HELLO!

The v5 will make a world of a difference compared to a spiderIII. It's basically the same build as the v55 or the v22, it's just much smaller in size and wattage. A perfect bedroom amp with nice tube-tone.

Edit: the v5 is also great for studio recordings.
Quote by JamesLPs
would the v5 be a bit more toneful and diverse than my line 6?

Oh god yes. Gobs and gobs more "toneful and diverse" than your spider. All of the Bugera's are lightyears ahead of the Spider III's.

daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Lmao I suppose the v5 it is once I can check one out when you say clean headroom do you mean i'd be better with the v5 or v22.

HELLO!

Quote by JamesLPs
Lmao I suppose the v5 it is once I can check one out when you say clean headroom do you mean i'd be better with the v5 or v22.

Usually the more watts an amp has, the more clean headroom it has, because when you turn the volume up it starts to crank after a while, so the amp that's basically louder should have more clean headroom.
so even though I wouldn't be using even half of it's power most the time I'd be better off with a v22? sorrya bout all the questions but you're leading me to my perfect amp

HELLO!

Quote by JamesLPs
so even though I wouldn't be using even half of it's power most the time I'd be better off with a v22? sorrya bout all the questions but you're leading me to my perfect amp

For bedroom use the v5 should have enough clean headroom and it can be switched to operate @ lower wattages (1 watt and 0.1 watt) so you can get some nice natural tube overdrive without blowing out the windows. If you are going to play gigs you should choose the v22. Whatever you choose try it out at different volumes b4 buying it.
okay I think I'll go with the v5, as long as it's way better than the line 6 at that price I'm not too fussed Thanks so much for the help you are teh rulez0rz.

HELLO!

first off dont listen to alot of these peoples suggestions, research different tube types and find out if you want an American or British sound. there are tones of different tubes to check out. 6L6, El34,El84,6v6, kt66, kt88 look at all these and take your time finding your amp even if it means saving more money. dont get a bugera they are crap and not really hand made. and yeah you really only need about 22watts for jamming and practicing but when you get a gig that doesnt mic amps and you need a clean sound your gonna wish you had a higher quality and at least a 30 watt amp. look at vox, fender, mesa, victoria, marshall. these companys have lasted for a reason bugera is just a nicer word for bheringer so dont waste your time there also look at engl, peavey, hiwatt just at everything man dont settle on some crappy thing. wait and get what you really want
Quote by Skagasm
dont get a bugera they are crap and not really hand made. bugera is just a nicer word for bheringer so dont waste your time there also look at engl, peavey, hiwatt just at everything man dont settle on some crappy thing. wait and get what you really want

You've obviously never played a Bugera. They fixed there reliability issues and sound amazing for the price they are if that's what your basing your judgment off of. You do know how hard it is to come by an Engl or Hi-Watt if you're 15 or 16 and no job, right? That's not gonna happen anytime soon. He said his budget was around $350 and you suggested he look at vox, fender, mesa, marshall. Let's start with the Vox's. The Valvetronix is pretty good but it's still not as good as the Bugera's IMO. The Fender Super Champ or Vibro Champ might be a good option for TS as well. There's no god damn way you're gonna get a Mesa for $350 and doesn't fit the genre he needs anyway. And the MG is a good practice amp but it's not as good at the VTs, Fender tube amps, and Bugera's. Sorry bud but that wasn't great advice.

And TS, I just remembered about Jet City Amps which sounded amazing from the demo videos I've seen so though might be an option as well. They are fairly cheap.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Thanks a lot for advice and opinion guys, I'm having a look at some different things but the bugera is definately the main amp on my mind..

HELLO!

Quote by Skagasm
first off dont listen to alot of these peoples suggestions, research different tube types and find out if you want an American or British sound. there are tones of different tubes to check out. 6L6, El34,El84,6v6, kt66, kt88 look at all these and take your time finding your amp even if it means saving more money. dont get a bugera they are crap and not really hand made. and yeah you really only need about 22watts for jamming and practicing but when you get a gig that doesnt mic amps and you need a clean sound your gonna wish you had a higher quality and at least a 30 watt amp. look at vox, fender, mesa, victoria, marshall. these companys have lasted for a reason bugera is just a nicer word for bheringer so dont waste your time there also look at engl, peavey, hiwatt just at everything man dont settle on some crappy thing. wait and get what you really want

Ummm..what the hell? I think you are in the wrong thread. He wasn't asking for amps that cost thousands of dollars. And 22 watts from a tube amp is pretty loud IMO. Bigger places usually have PA systems and mic your amps so it's not an issue anyway...
im 17 and i have purchased a fender vintage 1962 hot rod american, schecter custom shop tempest, voxac30hh, fender twin reverb, and at one point had a triple rec all with my own money, he said he was getting a job so he can save up obv youve never played a vintage handwired amp through an old guitar its a life changing experience. youll be suprised what you can find on guitar center used section. im not telling him to go out and but a 1959 slp plexi marshall full stack but you can find a used mesa 2:25 COMBO for about 700 online. yeah he needs to save up some but he would be alot happier with a mesa in the end than a bugera
tell you what guys don't worry about me and don't worry about this argument you've all given me a lot of good advice and I will use it wisely !

HELLO!

Well good for you, but this isn't a competition about who's bought how many thousands of dollars worth of gear. You're suggesting amps that are way out of his price range and he wants something that sounds good that he can afford now. A mesa 2:25 combo is a horrible suggestion for someone who's a beginner because you have to dial in the EQ for hours on that thing. My point is you don't buy 16-year-old with a learner's permit a manual Ferrari.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
i agree on that but i dont remember him ever saying he was a beginner he said he wanted a better amp for all we know this kid could be come sort of prodigy but in the end its his desicion im just offering a more tone purist point of view and im not trying to brag about my gear but i was saying that this is possible.